DVDVR Message Board

NXT: THE GREAT AMERICAN BASH XX - 7/1 & 7/8/2020

Dolfan in NYC

I wish Roderick Strong could switch places with Adam Cole. I'd enjoy Strong having the year long NXT Championship reign that Cole's had. Be glad for that to be over with.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, The Natural said:

Eb4y_YdXsAIB1W3?format=jpg&name=small

This looks like the cover of one of those teen fiction novels.  Maybe give it some weird title like "AAAAAAAAAH, my friend is an alien!" or something goofy like that.

I haven't had a chance to watch NXT but it sounds like a good show.  Cool to see Asuka come out and I'd be all about her and Io against Sasha/Bayley.  If anything I'd be incredibly disappointed if that doesn't happen.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

The show sounds great but nothing screams "Hey, we need to counter AEW's big show with something!" quite like slapping a logo on and old banner and not properly covering it.

EDIT: Wait, the NXT banner on top could have been lowered on the one side to fully cover it. Holy crapola that's even worse! 

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 2

Thatcher/Lorcan was GREAT. I've never seen a Lorcan match (I know. Somebody pimp me some Biff Busick matches) but he killed it against Thatcher, especially that headscissors that he straight dropped down on at the start, never seen that before. Give me two guys in plain trunks coming in for an ice-cold match and trying to tear each others limbs out of their sockets any day and I will watch it. That's something that WWE has that AEW doesn't, unfortunately. AEW's house style is 1. small athletic guys that do highspots and 2. big athletic guys that can do the same highspots if/when they want. The only variation is with their singles champs, one of whom is trying NWA touring champ style and the other is a brawler, there is no middle ground. They need some killers like a Lorcan or a Thatcher to vary things up. 

Did I mention that Thatcher is fucking insane? Because that guy is fucking insane. 

11 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Thatcher/Lorcan was GREAT. I've never seen a Lorcan match (I know. Somebody pimp me some Biff Busick matches) but he killed it against Thatcher, especially that headscissors that he straight dropped down on at the start, never seen that before. Give me two guys in plain trunks coming in for an ice-cold match and trying to tear each others limbs out of their sockets any day and I will watch it. 

Funny you phrase it like this. There was a point when Lorcan would come in for cold matches on NXT or 205 Live and within minutes have people into it. There was a point where I thought there was nobody better getting short, cold matches to work. 

For high-end stuff, I'd recommend starting with some of his tag stuff against Undisputed Era if you can be bothered with that faction. 

• Like 2

I don't have the Network which is why I asked for Busick matches. I'll for sure keep an eye on NXT for him from now on though. 

Speaking of the Era, damn does Roddy Strong have one big forehead (cue The Head joke again)

EDIT: And Dexter Lumis looks like Ryan Gosling playing a role in a film as a Proud Boy

EDIT II: Christ, I'm looking at the blacked-out tattoos on this guys arms and am wondering if maybe he WAS a white supremacist in a past life who had a bunch of shit erased. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

Hold up, how did AEW not pick up Mercedes Martinez and let NXT get her? I'm happy that she's working for one of the two now but damn, Tony. 

I think NXT wins this week over AEW too. Besides Thatcher/Lorcan and the strap match, I'll take three solid women's matches over three mediocre tag matches any day. 

7 minutes ago, EVA said:

Trying to hide my smirk about Sasha and Bayley proving to be bigger draws in two weeks in NXT than Charlotte’s whole run.

Sasha is definitely more entertaining than Charlotte, and in my opinion she’s better in ring than Charlotte too. I enjoyed her match with Ronda at the Rumble more than I did Charlotte’s at Survivor Series. Then again I also prefer her matches with Becky to Charlotte’s. 

Plus the one thing NXT has done with Sasha/Bayley is book them better than Charlotte too. No throw away match with Mia Yim, or boring promo segments. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Hold up, how did AEW not pick up Mercedes Martinez and let NXT get her? I'm happy that she's working for one of the two now but damn, Tony. 

She was picked up back in December. She actually did an AEW show so I assume it was just her choosing WWE over AEW.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

It could have been loyalty to them from giving her a shot in the Mae Young Tournament. That seems reasonable. If I was Tony though, and I saw her match with Satomura in that tourney, I woulda thrown double the money if I had it to spend. 

May just be that WWE was her dream, but I don't disagree. When people were talking about a lack of good and experienced talent in AEW's women's division last year I kept wondering why they hadn't picked up Mercedes Martinez yet.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

EDIT II: Christ, I'm looking at the blacked-out tattoos on this guys arms and am wondering if maybe he WAS a white supremacist in a past life who had a bunch of shit erased. 

Looks like he's just a dude embarrassed by his very Aught's tribal tattoos (can't see it well, but there's a Superman logo entwined in it).

HQAGxVG.jpg?1

13 hours ago, MavsFan77 said:

Sasha is definitely more entertaining than Charlotte, and in my opinion she’s better in ring than Charlotte too. I enjoyed her match with Ronda at the Rumble more than I did Charlotte’s at Survivor Series. Then again I also prefer her matches with Becky to Charlotte’s. 

Plus the one thing NXT has done with Sasha/Bayley is book them better than Charlotte too. No throw away match with Mia Yim, or boring promo segments. 

Always felt Sasha Banks is the best of the NXT Four Horsewomen. Banks has Bayley's best match (NXT TakeOver: Respect 2015. I'm in what seems the minority preferring that to the NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn 2015 one), Charlotte's best match (the Falls Count Anywhere, No Disqualification RAW main event from November 2016), one of the 2017 matches with Alexa Bliss (Great Balls of Fire or SummerSlam 2017) and probably Becky's best as well (Hell in a Cell 2019). There's a case for Asuka and Nia Jax also.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, elizium said:

Looks like he's just a dude embarrassed by his very Aught's tribal tattoos (can't see it well, but there's a Superman logo entwined in it).

HQAGxVG.jpg?1

Should be more embarrassed by the Superman tattoo ;P.

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

Always felt Sasha Banks is the best of the NXT Four Horsewomen. Banks has Bayley's best match (NXT TakeOver: Respect 2015. I'm in what seems the minority preferring that to the NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn 2015 one), Charlotte's best match (the Falls Count Anywhere, No Disqualification RAW main event from November 2016), one of the 2017 matches with Alexa Bliss (Great Balls of Fire or SummerSlam 2017) and probably Becky's best as well (Hell in a Cell 2019). There's a case for Asuka and Nia Jax also.

I'm not sure I would put the falls count anywhere match in Charlotte's top ten, let alone as her best. Its honestly a bit of a disservice to Charlotte to call it that when she had way better performances against Rousey, Rhea, & Becky. I'd ranked the Sasha/Becky HIAC about even with the Evolution match Becky had with Charlotte. There is no case for Sasha having Asuka's best match, like not even in the slightest.