DVDVR Message Board

NXT: THE GREAT AMERICAN BASH XX - 7/1 & 7/8/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Night 1

For the #1 Contender Spot for the NXT Women's Championship - Dakota Kai vs. Mia Yim vs. Candice LeRae vs. Tegan Nox

Strap Match - Dexter Lumis vs. Roderick Strong

Non-Title Match - NXT Women's Champion Io Shirai vs WWE Women's Tag Team Champion Sasha Banks

Handicap Match* - Rhea Ripley vs. Aaliyah & Robert Stone

Oney Lorcan vs Timothy Thatcher 

* - if Ripley loses she must join the Robert Stone Brand

Night 2

WINNER TAKE ALL - NXT Champion Adam Cole (Bay Bay) vs. NXT North American Champion Keith Lee

Mia Yim vs. Candice LeRae

Breezango/Drake Maverick vs. El Legado del Fantasma 

Johnny Gargano vs. Isiah "Swerve" Scott

NXT must really be confident with their women's division if they're putting up 3 matches against AEW tonight.  Hopefully they give Sasha/Io time even though the chances it ends in a non-finish is pretty high.  Pretty excited for Oney/Thatcher too.

18 minutes ago, nofuture said:

NXT must really be confident with their women's division if they're putting up 3 matches against AEW tonight.  Hopefully they give Sasha/Io time even though the chances it ends in a non-finish is pretty high.  Pretty excited for Oney/Thatcher too.

Well it shouldn’t take much effort for Sasha/Io to beat Cody/Jake Hager in the ratings. Plus it seems possible that it will lead to Io/Asuka vs Sasha/Bayley which paired with Lee/Cole should guarantee a win for NXT next week. Hell even if they go with Io/Rhea vs Bayley/Sasha next week I think they win. 

Moxley possibly not wrestling next week (since it’s taped today, and he’s not had a proper 14 day quarantine), and Keith Lee most likely finally becoming NXT champion should equal a NXT win. I really don’t see Triple H and co being dumb enough to put both belts on Cole.

6 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

You laugh, but even HHH knows if Vince ever saw the visual of tiny ass Cole being completely dwarfed by two belts, HHH would be fired immediately. 

Plus isn’t Cole’s deal supposedly up in August or September? Having him beat Keith Lee is totally stupid especially as it means they’d hotshot the NXT title onto Karrion Kross (who I like, but isn’t more deserving than Keith Lee).

Here’s my (most likely wrong) predictions for Night One:

Timothy Thatcher beats Oney due to shenanigans involving the other teams in the tag title picture to set up a 4-Way for the tag belts for night 2

Stone/Aliyah somehow beat Rhea 

Strong beats Lumis (to set up a match with Keith Lee before the next Takeover) 

Candice wins the #1 Contenders Match as she has great chemistry with Io

Sasha beats Io due to Bayley interference. Regal announces Asuka/Io vs Bayley/Sasha for the women’s tag titles for night 2

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MavsFan77 said:

Here’s my (most likely wrong) predictions for Night One:

Timothy Thatcher beats Oney due to shenanigans involving the other teams in the tag title picture to set up a 4-Way for the tag belts for night 2.

Hmmm... you may be onto something, especially since Bivens is managing the team going after Oney, and he’s got a history with Thatcher.

So while I’ll be the first to admit my picks sucked at least I did have the right idea of Asuka showing up, and it leading to a tag match (most likely for night 2 as they’ve only announced 3 matches so far).

I felt like tonight’s show was definitely a good one, and I’m looking forward to next week. 

The only match tonight that I didn’t really care for was Lumis/Strong, but that was because I can’t get into Lumis at all. I thought he sucked in TNA, and I think he still has zero personality, and not a lot of in ring skill here. Roddy definitely deserves better. 

And while I was surprised by the winner of the Women’s 4 Way I definitely am looking forward to Tegan and Io whatever week they do that. As limited as the main roster women’s division is I wouldn’t rule out a title switch, and a call up for Io.

Surprised Nox pulled off that match, but nice that Io/Nox finally get the match they were suppose to have in the semis of the MYC.  Timing seemed off during that match and there were a few very awkward parts.

Thatcher and Oney was great.  Give me more of that.

Was worried they were going to do something dumb with Rhea and have her lose somehow/join the Stone Brand.  It was a pretty enjoyable match for what it was, definitely Aliyah's best performance in her storied NXT career.  Definitely feels like they're in wheel spinning mode for Rhea, not really having a place for her in women's division right now.

Lumis/Strong was what it was.  That's about the most I can say about that.

Banks/Io was great with a few little iffy parts.  Bayley driving down to the ring with Sasha's dog was a nice touch.  Good thing they gave a definite finish with a tag match set up hopefully sooner than later.

• Like 1

4-way elimination was solid. Not a big fan of Nox, but the eventual match with Io should be good. Still wish Dakota had won. Io vs. her and vs. Raquel are two matches I really want to see.

Thatcher/Lorcan was good and brutal at times like I hoped. Hope we get more of this and maybe Thatcher vs. Bruch as well.

Rhea vs. Stone & Aliyah was super fun and a nice showcase for all involved Not sure where Rhea goes after this. With her not being champ and the Charlotte feud finished in such an unsatisfactory manner it feels like the only place for het go is Raw or SD. Maybe she can be a feud for Mercedes.

Lumis/Strong was ok. Lumis is a decent character, but he just doesn't offer much in the ring.

Escobar's promo was another good one, and I'm looking forward to his group vs. Drake & Breezango.

Io/Sasha was good. The finish had hijinks as expected, but I liked how it played out. Hopefully we get Io/Asuka vs. Golden Role Models next week.

Nice show overall. Hopefully night 2 can deliver next week.

A Strap Match with pinfalls and submissions???  Ugh. How about we just touch the fucking turnbuckles?

Why would Aliyah want to win that match just to see herself get knocked down in the pecking order of the Robert Stone Brand? That makes no sense.

Best part of the night was the NXT Debut of RYU MAIVIA!  Ryu would eviscerate all of the dogs in AEW's Puppy Battle Royale. 

6 minutes ago, Peck said:

Why would Aliyah want to win that match just to see herself get knocked down in the pecking order of the Robert Stone Brand? That makes no sense.

She wants to please Stone and it would still be a massive victory over a former NXT champ.

7 hours ago, MavsFan77 said:

Plus isn’t Cole’s deal supposedly up in August or September? Having him beat Keith Lee is totally stupid especially as it means they’d hotshot the NXT title onto Karrion Kross (who I like, but isn’t more deserving than Keith Lee).

Cole is under contract for another year apparently