DVDVR Message Board

AEW Fyter Fest II - 7/1 & 7/8/2020

I don't see how MJF isn't the guy they turn to after Cage. I like Cage a lot but he's not world champion material right now, at least not yet. If he were to develop just even a little bit of Taz's presence and intensity, I'd say go all the way with him but as is, no. MJF is at the top of the rankings and was clearly going to be Mox's next challenger before the pandemic presented travel and booking issues.

What do you do with Cage after this if/when he loses? You already have Archer and Lee as monster heels squashing jabrones every week while not really being in a title picture. Ditto Wardlow a bit lower down the card.

One of the issues created by taking the open challenge route with the TNT title is that these guys don’t have a lot to do. 

27 minutes ago, Hail Sabin said:

If Mox gets past Cage he has said in the past he would give CODY a shot at the Title and that could be the ultimate catalyst for CODY's Heel Turn. 

But how do that book that? Cody has been insistent that he’s not going back on the stipulation from his match with Jericho at Full Gear last year. I get Mox would be issuing the challenge, but it feels like Cody would have to turn it down. Either that or before he can even respond MJF cuts him off, repeats the stipulation, and says it’s his title shot. 

And actually if they stay in this holding pattern I think Lance Archer will be Mox’s next challenger so they can use MJF at Full Gear instead of All Out in September (or is it the last weekend of August)?

Edited by MavsFan77
  • Like 1

Yeah, Cody would have to decline and then Mox would really have to push his buttons. I didn't think of that and it would be so great if that's how they book the turn. I need that turn in my life. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, MavsFan77 said:

But how do that book that? Cody has been insistent that he’s not going back on the stipulation from his match with Jericho at Full Gear last year. I get Mox would be issuing the challenge, but it feels like Cody would have to turn it down. Either that or before he can even respond MJF cuts him off, repeats the stipulation, and says it’s his title shot. 

And actually if they stay in this holding pattern I think Lance Archer will be Mox’s next challenger so they can use MJF at Full Gear instead of All Out in September (or is it the last weekend of August)?

I think without CODY turning Heel or Arn getting the match made. The simplest way is because Mox wants a fight and people in sports talk about double champions he answers CODY's challenge. CODY wins probably in some very grey area way maybe with lots of other feuds being woven in. Mox cannot let that stand forces Tony Khan to make the match because CODY is the 1st man to pin and he must erase that Red in the Ledger before he can move on. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Since many of us are kind of feeling that they shouldn't be holding too much back for the return of a proper live audience, how would people feel if they went with MJF like they'd been hinting?

MJF is a good pick and I don't think they should hold off on account of crowds, but I do think he was hotter coming off his win over Cody and kind of needs that momentum to be effective against Mox.

• Thanks 1

Holding back until the crowds return, genuine question but on what episode or interview brought this up? Is this a Kahn tweet or something on Jericho's podcast or BTE? I keep reading that and feel like I skipped an interview or press conference or something, was it during Dynamite and maybe I FF'd through the segment? Tyia

If/when MJF wins the title, they need to have Wardlow get sick of his shit and give him a world class beatdown (think Alex Riley and Miz) then challenge MJF for the belt. 

On 7/9/2020 at 6:35 PM, grilledcheese said:

Maki Itoh goofed on him a little bit on twitter, because why wouldn't she? She's fucking ruthless.

Didn't AEW try to get Maki?  I think she'd get over though she might use up the swear jar, and Chris Brookes wouldn't be a bad addition either.

Britt Baker v Big Swole is the under the radar most entertaining feud of the year. Really enjoying both of them in their roles.

Isaiah Cassidys ring gear really distracts me, it looks so... dull, especially when you consider how great Marc Quin looks.

The 8 man was my match of the last 2 weeks.  My love for Penta knows no bounds.

So I'm the only one who thinks that rather than splitting up Omega and Page and pushing one or the other into a World title program, they should spilt up Fenix and Penta and push one or the other into a World Title program?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, AxB said:

So I'm the only one who thinks that rather than splitting up Omega and Page and pushing one or the other into a World title program, they should spilt up Fenix and Penta and push one or the other into a World Title program?

I’d be down with that idea. Pentagon would be easy to buy as a threat to Moxley if they gave him a few singles wins. 

8 hours ago, Hayabusa said:

Holding back until the crowds return, genuine question but on what episode or interview brought this up? Is this a Kahn tweet or something on Jericho's podcast or BTE? I keep reading that and feel like I skipped an interview or press conference or something, was it during Dynamite and maybe I FF'd through the segment? Tyia

It hasn’t really been brought up anywhere that I know of. But it does feel like they’re not really building anyone up towards a main event spot or even a future one off with Moxley. 

Cody outside of the Hager match has been facing jobber of the week for his belt too so that kind of gives off that same vibe. 

Heck even the tag belts outside of the Best Friends match haven’t felt like they’ve been in any real danger since the pandemic started. With Pentagon/Fenix back though that could change quickly. 

• Thanks 1

MJF as champion in the early-2000 Kurt Angle mould could be fun. Accomplished across the board but with that streak of chicken-shit personality at the same time. They've built up so many stables and managers and so on, perhaps its time to revert back more to singles guys out there on their own hunt for the titles  shining on their own merit. Build the feuds like Omega/Hangman which has to be coming so that they are distinct while also interacting with whoever is champion.

When is Darby back?

Cody as champion or even as contender feels like a really, really bad move. He shouldn't be in the picture I think unless he is heel and actually glorying in being EVP in a HHH-esque way. If he's actually making influential decisions backstage while being an all-conquering face on screen I imagine there'll be a lot of disbelief/sourness before long.

Edited by A_K
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, A_K said:

MJF as champion in the early-2000 Kurt Angle mould could be fun. Accomplished across the board but with that streak of chicken-shit personality at the same time. They've built up so many stables and managers and so on, perhaps its time to revert back more to singles guys out there on their own hunt for the titles  shining on their own merit. Build the feuds like Omega/Hangman which has to be coming so that they are distinct while also interacting with whoever is champion.

When is Darby back?

Cody as champion or even as contender feels like a really, really bad move. He shouldn't be in the picture I think unless he is heel and actually glorying in being EVP in a HHH-esque way. If he's actually making influential decisions backstage while being an all-conquering face on screen I imagine there'll be a lot of disbelief/sourness before long.

tenor.gif

There have already been quite a few parallels drawn, so draw two more with Evolution and a heel abusing power playing on smark criticisms. Man, that is such great booking if they go through with Cody playing the honorable good guy only to fuck over Moxley for the title. Something I was hoping for when they first brought up the stipulation and had Cody lose. Can't unsee it now. 

DoN feels like forever ago already, but we still have EIGHT WEEKS until All Out.  That’s so long, I feel like something has to happen with the tag belts and Omega/Hangman before then.

I feel like Mox/MJF, Omega/Hangman, and Bucks/FTR would be a strong top of the card for All Out.  Maybe Cody/Brodie?  No clue where Jericho fits in that scenario.  The Hardy/Sammy issue would have seemed to lead into a Jericho match eventually, but who knows what the status of that is.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

tenor.gif

There have already been quite a few parallels drawn, so draw two more with Evolution and a heel abusing power playing on smark criticisms. Man, that is such great booking if they go through with Cody playing the honorable good guy only to fuck over Moxley for the title. Something I was hoping for when they first brought up the stipulation and had Cody lose. Can't unsee it now. 

Agreed. I honestly don't see why they wouldn't go that route unless there is some sort of real-life psychological desire to play the hero on screen. It makes so much sense and opens up lots of different avenues for others involved to play off and build storylines through.

AEW received so much warranted credit for letting performers craft their own identities in of themselves through the first year - really hope we get back to that and away from the submerging group/stable mentality. Right now its pretty tricky to name a performer other than Moxley who isn't in some sort of team/stable/managerial relationship.

I do think there are too many managers right now. Archer should break off from Jake soon.  It was a good way to introduce Archer to people who may not be familiar with him, but I don’t think Jake has added much lately, and Archer is plenty charismatic enough on his own.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Hayabusa said:

AFAIK, it's just an assumption people have made since they shelved Blood & Guts and have been perceived to have been in a holding pattern. Not sure Tony and the EVPs would agree with that perception. In fact I doubt they would. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, alstein said:

Didn't AEW try to get Maki?  I think she'd get over though she might use up the swear jar, and Chris Brookes wouldn't be a bad addition either.

I think there were some rumors kicking around on Maki. I don't recall if they were from anyone we should take faith in, though. It might have just been folks here talking about it.

The women's division keeps making small steps towards being totally legit, but it needs another worker or two to be the cornerstones. Too many of these ladies are hitting their stride as characters, but only a few of them have the in-ring side popping as well. As far as that goes, Maki is not the answer. 

I think Big Swole is mad entertaining, but she SUCKS in the ring. That match from Dark this week with Rache Chanel was real fucking bad, and it was because you put two workers out there that only have the style side dialed in. Character work is super important, but the ability to both throw or receive a decent headlock takeover is as well.

Brookes would be another good get, but just at the start of the year he made it pretty apparent that DDT was his top priority. He moved to Japan full-time with the intent of focusing on his work for DDT. I think he's a no-go. At least for right now, anyway.

Edited by grilledcheese

As far as Mox's next challenger goes, making it Omega and/or Page might be a good move. It would give us a break from their title defenses which are good but I'm starting to find formulaic. That in turn would free up some space for FTR/Bucks and any other tag feud they have going to play out. Plus, it would add some friction to the Omega/Page pairing so they can move on to the next chapter of that story. Yes, they aren't ranked in singles right now but neither was Cage and Brodie Lee squashed three guys and got a shot so I'm not that worried about it.