DVDVR Message Board

AEW Fyter Fest II - 7/1 & 7/8/2020

7 hours ago, EVA said:

Archer is just so tuned into his character, it’s scary.  He always knows where to find the camera, and the camera loves him.

This x 1 million! He's just constantly jaw jacking into the camera and I love it! 

Felt like the tag title match was gonna lead to some sort of an angle, but nothing. Decent match, but no Hardy/Bucks/FTR involvement, no teasing dissension between the champs. Felt flat since the result was never in doubt. 

Both "big announcements" fell flat for me. I'd much prefer to see Cage squash some fools than this. 

That 8 man was good shit. Super destroyer was wild! Finish was nice, surprised we got the handshake afterwards, expected the usual "you kicked me accidentally, now this means war". 

Stu Grayson brings it every time I see him. Would love if his ring fear matched his "mini-Bane" out-of-ring gear though, much better look. 

Loved the main, thought OC should get the win but as someone (sorry, forgot to note the name) mentioned, he'd stood tall 2 weeks running so wasn't happening. Hope this feud runs longer. Best Friends vs Proud N Powerful could be a fun feud. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cubbymark said:

Wouldn't WWE own the IP rights to the FTW Title? Just curious...

Probably.  I am assuming that Tony Khan spent some cash to buy the IP from the WWE since he's the money mark.

22 minutes ago, Fighting a man with a perm said:

That 8 man was good shit. Super destroyer was wild! Finish was nice, surprised we got the handshake afterwards, expected the usual "you kicked me accidentally, now this means war". 

It's too early to place a rift between the Bucks and FTR right now.  I am sure the betrayal will come later.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

I'm with most people on the 8-man tag. I'm not huge on PWG style stuff but with that many dudes involved it works just fine. I'm glad Butcher + Blade technically got a win but man, when FTR/TYB/LB all got to shine near the end, couldn't they have had B+B do a cool spot or two? At least JR keeps putting over Andy Williams and corrected the bass guitar thing from last week ?

Orange Cassidy needs a run with the TNT title, similar to having the IWTV title and bringing it to the ring in an old backpack. 

Adding my props for Archer/Janella, Jericho/OC, and the 8-man. These were all worked well and had different styles which made the night easier to digest as a whole. With all the tag teams around, the AEW tag style is starting to wear on me a little so the tag title matches of the past two weeks haven't done a ton for me even though I like everyone involved.

The 8-man was indeed a great trainwreck, but I think the story of it was built better than a lot of people are giving it credit for. FTR and the Bucks didn't want to tag each other at first, even had FTR's annoyance at the Bucks' blind tags. But then when Harwood couldn't get up to make the tag, he visibly told Wheeler to go ahead and tag a Jackson. Then you have the spots where they're forced to help out with each other's double teams -- the spike piledriver was much better at this, as FTR set it up as normal, then had to change course when Wheeler was knocked off the buckles. Then finally, FINALLY, after slowly earning each other's trust throughout the whole match, the miscue kick. Great stuff.

• Like 5

Fucking loved night 2 of Fyter Fest, maybe even more than night 1. The opening tag is fine, but once again Private Party or Marq Quen moves too fast and winds up just waiting for forever for the next spot. I'm surprised we didn't see more dissension teased between Hangman and Omega.

The eight man tag was everything. Holy shit. I was marking out when Dax and Penta were going at it early on in the match. FTR and Penta and Fenix look like they have instant chemistry and I'm all for those two teams getting 20 to 30 minutes next week. Fuck yeah. The rest of the match fucking ruled and the Destroyer off the ropes to the outside was insane. Put that spot on the opening video of every Dynamite.

The moment I saw Taz have a velvet bag in his hand when he came out I knew his announcement would be gifting the FTW title to Cage. I was kinda eh when I initially thought of it, but then Taz started talking, I started remembering how much I loved FTW Taz, I remembered how cool the FTW title was back in the day, and I wound up being pretty ok. It does feel a little too "DiBiase gives the Million Dollar Championship to Austin," but whatever. I'm now wondering if Cage is going to win next week. AEW is in this pattern of having their newest big man signings lose in title matches, whether if it's Archer or Lee and adding Cage to that list would suck. I wouldn't have much of an issue with Cage beating Moxley next week. Taz may also be a better version of Heyman and I wish they had live crowds to react to him. Through all of this, if Cage somehow absorbs the ability to talk like Taz, then that's a huge win. I'll take Cage talking like Taz over Kross trying to wrestle like Taz.

Speaking of Archer, how fucking good is this guy?! I wish he was able to figure this out when he was younger, but I'm glad he finally did when he was in Japan. Dude is getting up there in years for a wrestler so hopefully he holds together well.

Nyla taking on two jobbers was pretty uninteresting.

Jericho vs OC was so, so good. What an awesome match. I get both sides of the argument for OC winning or losing. I'm ultimately bummed OC lost, but that's how I'm supposed to feel. I'm supposed to be bummed out. At the same time, it would have been awesome for him to win. If you have him win though, then what do you do with OC? Is it his time for a push?

AEW is in this weird holding pattern in that they both are and aren't in one. You can see storylines progressing and it doesn't feel like everything is on hold. They got some similar criticism last year when everything wasn't happening right away and you just have to be patient. Storylines get more ramped up the closer they get to PPV and that's how it's always been for them. I get that can sometimes be boring, but I'd rather have longterm storytelling lead to big payoffs than somewhat hotshotting something like OC beating Jericho on AEW Dynamite.

• Like 2

Loved OC/Jericho. I can't recall a spot I've popped for more than the fake out-actual superkick.

.....probably the Destroyer to the outside earlier in the show, come to think of it.

Was hoping the 6 man tag was going to be a swerve with SCU joining the Dark Order instead of Colt, and laying to waste him, the masked child molester looking guy and the Dark jobbers, similar to how the Nation rebranded back in 97. I really like Stu Grayson though as a D'Lo in all of that. 

Nyla's new manager seems unnecessary. I think she cuts a really good promo, delivers her lines well. Lack of Russo makes me disappointed its not going to be Jim and Stacey Cornette.

Archer/Janela told a great story that didn't have to involve Janela taking so much of the match. 

17 hours ago, J.T. said:

I think I just hate the angle behind the FTW title because the booking made it seem that Taz just came up with his own belt because he could never crack the code to beat Shane Douglas and win the actual ECW World Title.

He came up with it because he kept getting ducked and couldn’t get a shot at the real title IIRC 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Last week Jericho, this week Tony. I vote for Cody to do next week's tweet.

He really needs to get the F off of Twitter. What a moron. ? 

And yeah Cody will do it next week unless they decide to switch it up, and have Brandi do it instead. 

Hopefully this ends our weekly ratings BS discussion too as it seemed like last week a lot of us agreed it’s talked to beyond death now.

• Like 1

Why is he a moron? For giving factual information about the evaluation of the product he's involved in? Once again, nXt had a far better card on paper, and once again they only win the battle of the boomers. Gotta be disappointing for Hunter...

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Death From Above said:

The only thing I don't like about Lance Archer is his hair but, like, I'm not going to tell him that to his face.

Maki Itoh goofed on him a little bit on twitter, because why wouldn't she? She's fucking ruthless.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, just drew said:

Why is he a moron? For giving factual information about the evaluation of the product he's involved in? Once again, nXt had a far better card on paper, and once again they only win the battle of the boomers. Gotta be disappointing for Hunter...

For bragging about winning in one category, and as I already stated here for overhyping damn near every part of the show, and failing to deliver on not one, but two “huge surprises” including one that was going to be “earth shattering, and change the wrestling industry” last night. He needs to get his head out of his rear end, deliver on promises, and until then tweet much less.