DVDVR Message Board

AEW Fyter Fest II - 7/1 & 7/8/2020

38 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I wholeheartedly agree with the entire rest of your post, but I want you to know I had to give you the sad face because I marked out hard for the FTW title. 

I'm sorry, man, but once Taz started spouting off about blood and sweat and tears, I already knew what was under the orange towel and I was like "He's going to gift his fucking FTW belt to Cage."

I think I just hate the angle behind the FTW title because the booking made it seem that Taz just came up with his own belt because he could never crack the code to beat Shane Douglas and win the actual ECW World Title.

I'm not against vanity belts, though.  I will always love the Million Dollar Championship.

Edited by J.T.

Thought the tag title match was pretty great, but it's starting to feel like diminishing returns on Hangman and Omega. 

If I were an actual, legitimate wrestler, I'd have to be talked into selling for Joey Janela even a little bit. This should've been a glorified squash. I have no idea why guys like Moxley and Archer give him so much.

Loved the 8 man. All four of those teams would be the best team on any WWE brand, and one actually was. The AEW tag division is truly an embarrassment of riches. 

Nyla was fine-ish. I get the feeling something didn't go through that was supposed to. A debut or something.

6 man was good, but not as good as the 8 man earlier. 

Big Swole made me laugh every time she was on my screen. Some of these women are really turning into performers, which is good, because they are sorely needed.

Main event was fantastic. Cassidy is super talented, and Jericho did exactly what he needed to. I get the feeling the feud isn't over.

• Like 5

Yeah, I would be bummed about Orange losing if I didn't honestly believe that tonight wasn't the blow off of their feud.  I also think they want Orange to beat Jericho in front of a live crowd, but God knows when that will happen.

Just now, J.T. said:

Yeah, I would be bummed about Orange losing if I didn't honestly believe that tonight wasn't the blow off of their feud.  I also think they want Orange to beat Jericho in front of a live crowd, but God knows when that will happen.

I agree with you that I think that is there reason, I just think it's a really shitty reason and is a flat out wrong call. AEW has felt like it's been in a holding pattern for a while now, delaying the rise of Orange hoping for a live crowd that might not come for 6 months just could lead to him cooling off. WWE is far from perfect, but the one thing I'll give them credit for is they are still trying to do new stuff right now, were as AEW just holding the line. It's weird.

• Like 1

AEW has done Hunter/Taka a lot in their short history (I can think of at least Jericho/Allin, Cody/Jungle Boy, Jericho/OC tonight granted you can argue OC is more of a main eventer now, Mox/Allin, Omega/Sammy)

Have they actually pulled the upset on any of these yet? I can't think of one. 

1 minute ago, For Great Justice said:

AEW has done Hunter/Taka a lot in their short history (I can think of at least Jericho/Allin, Cody/Jungle Boy, Jericho/OC tonight granted you can argue OC is more of a main eventer now, Mox/Allin, Omega/Sammy)

Hell, what is the most surprising result AEW result AEW has actually booked? It feels like they book way too safe for me imo.

The tag scene in AEW is so stacked and most of the teams are great so it's time to get the titles of two singles guys. Omega and Page could both be better utilized at this point and whatever angle their reign was going to lead to can't wait for an arena anymore. Time to get on with things and if that's a feud between Kenny and Adam, I say Dynamite could use the new drama. Not enough hate in AEW these days.

Great main event from Orange/Jericho that delivered. 8 man tag was amazing, especially loved the double team powerplex and Fenix's super destroyer. Thought the FTW title was a cool callback for Taz. Kind of expecting a no contest of some sort between Cage and Moxley next week. Vickie Guerrero was also my first thought for Nyla. Solid opening tag defense from Omega/Hangman. Archer/Janela went a lot longer than I expected but I loved the finish and in the end it felt like a somewhat bigger win for Archer. Britt Baker's selling reaction was hilarious. 

3 minutes ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

Hell, what is the most surprising result AEW result AEW has actually booked?

Two singles guys winning the tag belts. 

FWIW, I'm fine with Jericho winning as he's such a tippy-top guy compared to what OC has been presented as. But I think the pattern @For Great Justice is pointing to makes a compelling case. 

Edited by Andy in Kansas

9 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

The only big upset I can think of off the top of my head was Private Party going over the Young Bucks in that tournament. 

Edit: not to the same level but Riho beating Nyla was an upset.

Edited by OctopusCinema

9 hours ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

I agree with you that I think that is there reason, I just think it's a really shitty reason and is a flat out wrong call. AEW has felt like it's been in a holding pattern for a while now, delaying the rise of Orange hoping for a live crowd that might not come for 6 months just could lead to him cooling off. WWE is far from perfect, but the one thing I'll give them credit for is they are still trying to do new stuff right now, were as AEW just holding the line. It's weird.

I agree, but Orange has been the one standing tall in the go home booking leading up to this event and we both know that does not bode well for the baby face.

I totally agree that not putting Orange over is a horrible call, but I also did not expect him to win given how the go home angle shaked out.  If the IC had beaten him to death with a bag of oranges last week. I'd totally have expected Orange to win tonight as the face usually gets his revenge if he gets mugged before the big event.  

You don't just allow Cassidy to clown Jericho two weeks in a row and then book Le Champion to lose the event match.  The last gasp of the go home angle had Jericho on the ground semi conscious with a television monitor on his dome FFS.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, eikerir said:

Shit I really think Orange should have gone over tonight, it seemed like the right thing.

I thought it was the right thing after he got out of Jericho dragging him back to the middle of the ring for the Walls, getting out of Santana & Ortiz interference, kicking out of a cheating-assisted Code Breaker. I kind of think they dragged out that ending sequence just to have Cassidy take the pin. But oh well. Seemed like a waste.

Taz bringing back the FTW title was not a major announcement that sends shockwaves throughout the industry. Somewhat nostalgic I suppose. But big deal, Taz is bequeathing Cage his old title he gave himself in ECW. Why does this send shockwaves? Bryan Alvarez was hyping this up on WOL today as well and made it sound like, "Well there's no way Tony Khan would promise this and tweet about it if it wasn't a huge deal." Nope.

I mean fair play to Tony Khan over-promising and under-delivering. They are competing with NXT over week, so they have to do stuff like this from AEW's standpoint. 

Once again though, I hate it when wrestling promotions promise huge announcement and it's something minor or silly. AEW does this on a regular basis. They promise a huge announcement and it's like "OMG! AEW IS RETURNING TO JACKSONVILLE!" Sorry that's not a big announcement. 

Frankly, it would've been better if they didn't hype or announce this and just have Taz come out to give Cage the FTW title. That way they aren't over-hyping something and unrealistically building up expectations. 

The eight-man tag was fun. Lucha Bros. going over and finally getting a major win was good. Young Bucks eating a pin right now in this type of match doesn't really hurt them and it helps build up their eventual match with FTR in the long term. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised by how good Archer/Janela was, considering I don’t like Janela at all.  But he did a good job of throwing himself at Archer, and Archer is just so tuned into his character, it’s scary.  He always knows where to find the camera, and the camera loves him.

I also really liked that the big table spot on the outside was the finish.  I feel like you don’t see that a lot.

• Like 7

Lance Archer fucking rules. Janela still struggles to not look silly doing anything athletic but Archer coming out with Sonny and using him as a weapon as part of his entrance is great. He's such a mean bastard. Jake looking pretty rough again. Moving very gingerly and sweating through his shirt. Brother needs that DDP Yoga back in his life.

Tag title match was one of the better Private Party outings and significantly better than last week. Champs leaned into their strikes, really pouring it on against PP. Smart bit of psychology for them to use their size and striking prowess against the all flash Private Party. It worked too. Really liked that closing sequence too with the gin and juice reversal into the avalanche powerbomb and last call. But, yes, it's time to move on from this team. Have FTR beat them either in August or, likelier, the PPV. Do whatever turn you want, but they've pretty much beaten everybody now and both guys need a new goal. I really do want to see the Bucks & Omega vs. FTR & Page before whatever split happens. Could Page be the 4th guy for the Cody deal? I hope not, but they should try to win him over before he rejects them.

8 man was an awesome train wreck with some storytelling leading up to the likely six man tag and eventual tag between FTR & the Bucks. That fake superkick into the Arn DDT was gorgeous. Some sloppiness early on with the heel team, which seems to be the case in just about every Lucha Bros tag in AEW so far. Fenix got to do his crazy shit (holy shit, was it crazy), Penta got to be the most charismatic guy in the match. FTR vs. Lucha Bros should be fantastic. Nutty stuff.

FTW Title is back, bb!

Kip Sabian living it up in a beach chair yelling at Penelope that she also has a manager, yessss. Kip the douchebag kept man has a tonne of potential, as does Penelope. I can't see anybody other than Vickie managing Nyla after Guerrero just said she parted ways with WWE a few weeks back and she's been hanging out at AEW shows.  

Dark Order: part cult, part mob protection racket. Thumbs up.

SCU are dorks. I just can't get into them. Scorpio had that glimpse of something during the Jericho mini-feud but that's it. Good to hear we'll get more solo Sky and the older guys can be gatekeeper tag dudes. I enjoy Kazarian on BTE way more than I do in the ring but he and CD should be more than fine in that role. This Dark Order stuff has settled in nicely I feel. Brodie can elevate midcard guys and still be a threat himself when needed and it's fun watching him bully the dorks around. 

Main event was great. Jericho just about hung in there with OC for all of the latter's quick-strike offense and flash pinfall attempts. Told a solid story, executed very well, gets OC a huge shine to look that good and come that close to beating a legend, and Jericho needed help to win. 

Overall, everything accomplished what they wanted it to, everything made sense and was leading to something or concluding something. Maybe not the most spectacular two week mini-special but everything was good-to-great I thought and most everybody is better off after than before. 

Spoilered for size and hilarity:

Spoiler

We may not have big crowds for another year, y'all. Especially with how well the States have handled this situation. I know I've talked about them needing to move on to the next phase of their plans because the product is stagnating... At the same time, I'd rather them go too slow than too fast and burn through a lot of huge matches in front of staff and family/friends. Repeating myself, but a lot of people wanted a NJPW presentation and were disappointed with what they got. Instead, it's their booking philosophy that is way more Japanese than American imo. They are not going to give away a lot of big upsets when people can get over through losses and getting close to the big boys. I love it. When Cody loses the title to a younger guy (I think Darby was the obvious choice prior to the allegations, now I'm leaning OC even though he's a few months older than Cody), it'll be huge. When Jericho puts over somebody like Page, it'll be huge. Those kind of big wins should matter. This isn't WWE burying the push of the month. This is long-term booking trying to maximize value without either turning into a 50/50 promotion or devaluing big matches and wins. If Orange is worth a damn, which I think he obviously is, he will be fine slowly moving up the card rather than being pushed too hard, too soon. How many guys get elevated and then fans kinda become indifferent once they got what they wanted? In Japan, you book key upsets when you desperately need a star. Tenryu bails, Misawa gets the big win. NJPW needed more star power besides Tanahashi and Nakamura, so they quickly elevated Okada, knowing they had a generational talent on their hands. Omega leaves, Jay White super push. AEW has people closer to stardom than OC, so it's not his time to be that guy for now. Omega and Page need big single wins more than Cassidy does. OC winning the TNT title makes a lot of sense and would be a great character for Cody to go full heel on because there are few wrestlers more loved by hardcores than Orange Cassidy.

They put Private Party over the Bucks in their first month or so of TV. Bucks lost to Santana & Ortiz. Cody put over MJF in one of their biggest feuds to date. People were talking about there being too many upsets, especially with the EVPs early on. Meltzer would say almost every week that they're doing the wrong thing with Omega and the Bucks losing so much in the early days of the promotion. They've since course corrected and I think it's for the best. 

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I agree with the consensus that it’s time to take the next step with Omega/Hangman.  This phase of the story has been told.

At this point, they have to know that there aren’t going to be any fans for All Out, and there’s no sense in holding back anymore.  It’s time to turn on the juice again.

• Like 4

Also, where are you supposed to go with OC if he won tonight?  I realize he's not the easiest guy to book but I feel like there's more story to tell with OC this way.

You know what the downside version of Jericho/OC could have been? Jericho/Fandango WM29. It wasn't. I'm very happy about that.

• Like 5

Scorpio Sky is in this weird place where he seems to be "have a good match" guy on Dark every week but they don't seem to have something else for him to do right now. Theoretically that's the kind of guy you'd want to put your secondary belt on but that's kind of locked down on Cody for the forseeable future.

Yeah, he was one half of the first tag team champions in company history and then transitioned into a really well played mini-feud with Jericho and since then has kinda sunk into the background. He's got a lot of qualities but I'm not sure he has it but even then he's definitely a guy you want around. Charismatic, pretty good talker, super athlete that is silky smooth in the ring, and solid psychology. I think he's kinda like Cage almost, in that they are both lacking that killer intensity when called upon. He had more than Cage's shown, to Scorpio's credit during that Jericho run though. So yeah. What do you do with a guy that is so obviously good but in a company where there are too many guys around that level and above?

I absolutely LOVE Butcher & Blade. I was kinda impartial to Lucha Bros. I'm actually really happy they're pals! I like the dynamic of two heel teams that get along (and gel) together so well. Not much to add to the 8 man match that hasn't already been said, it was quite enjoyable.

Cassidy/Jericho definitely was the match of the night, we kept thinking Orange was going to pull it off, but deep down kinda knew Jericho was going to win. Not mad at all about it, cause it was neck and neck for a while.

• Like 3