DVDVR Message Board

AEW Fyter Fest II - 7/1 & 7/8/2020

18 minutes ago, MavsFan77 said:

My question in response to this is where’s the awesome tag depth when the champions have beat everyone except for FTR and Private Party? I think there’s definitely talent in the division, but the way it’s been booked is so dumb. Focusing on two guys that should be higher up the card as singles guys while tying up the tag belts at the same time is never the right call. 

Wait, what? Let's remember where Adam Page was prior to this team with Omega. This run has elevated Page to a guy that's ready to become a leader in the company. It has helped get people acclimatized to Kenny Omega. It was a huge success but it should come to an end soon here. FTR should beat them and then transition into a feud with the Bucks, freeing Kenny and Hangman to move up the card. The logjam has only recently been a thing and it's time to move on but let's not pretend that it accomplished a lot while also putting on one of the best matches I've ever seen and a lot of matches in the 3.5-4 star range beyond that.

I would definitely disagree with the idea that Adam Cole is a charisma vacuum. I was peacing out from watching NXT as he was coming in, but on ROH and PWG shows, he always screamed star with his body language and presence, despite being on the smaller side. I wouldn't be surprised for him to be one of the people who switches over to AEW in the next year or whenever his deal is up, for better or worse. I'm fine either way.

• Like 4

I will admit to being something of a contrarian when it comes to matters like this. I've never for a second believed Cole screamed "Star," but he may not be quite as bad as I make him out to be. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Wait, what? Let's remember where Adam Page was prior to this team with Omega. This run has elevated Page to a guy that's ready to become a leader in the company. It has helped get people acclimatized to Kenny Omega. It was a huge success but it should come to an end soon here. FTR should beat them and then transition into a feud with the Bucks, freeing Kenny and Hangman to move up the card. The logjam has only recently been a thing and it's time to move on but let's not pretend that it accomplished a lot while also putting on one of the best matches I've ever seen and a lot of matches in the 3.5-4 star range beyond that.

I would definitely disagree with the idea that Adam Cole is a charisma vacuum. I was peacing out from watching NXT as he was coming in, but on ROH and PWG shows, he always screamed star with his body language and presence, despite being on the smaller side. I wouldn't be surprised for him to be one of the people who switches over to AEW in the next year or whenever his deal is up, for better or worse. I'm fine either way.

The point of losing the belts to FTR soon was what I was getting at. It feels like they realistically should have lost the belts sometime after Double or Nothing, whether it was to Best Friends this week, or Proud and Powerful on a random episode of Dynamite. Adam Page as you stated is definitely ready to be a cornerstone of the company, and leaving him with a tag belt now just holds that process up more. 

I still like Adam Cole in NXT (which I hope came across in my post), but I agree too that he screamed Star more in ROH and PWG. He always felt like a huge deal there, and I don’t think he’ll be that out of place in AEW should he go there. Especially as he won’t be the “guy” as there’s more than enough rotating pieces AEW can use near the top.

2 hours ago, MavsFan77 said:

So basically you’re saying there’s no way they could’ve booked Keith Lee and Dexter Lumis vs Adam Cole and Roderick Strong as the main event, then had both singles matches next week? That’s an obvious main event option, and it would include one of your three reliable win options. 

Yeesh.  I know we’re just talking hypotheticals here, so who knows,  but that sounds like the lost by-the-numbers, filler WWE main event booking you could do.  I couldn’t see that drawing a number at all.

I only included Lee at #3 because that 3-way NA title defense did a number recently, so maybe there’s possibly some momentum building with him.  He’s had plenty of other prior showings that didn’t move the needle.  I think the jury is still out on him as a draw (although I expect a big number for his expected coronation next week, and if they can smartly keep that momentum going, who knows...).

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, EVA said:Yeesh.  I know we’re just talking hypotheticals here, so who knows,  but that sounds like the lost by-the-numbers, filler WWE main event booking you could do.  I couldn’t see that drawing a number at all.

I only included Lee at #3 because that 3-way NA title defense did a number recently, so maybe there’s possibly some momentum building with him.  He’s had plenty of other prior showings that didn’t move the needle.  I think the jury is still out on him as a draw (although I expect a big number for his expected coronation next week, and if they can smartly keep that momentum going, who knows...).

So basically if it’s not a great main event like these from AEW then it doesn’t make sense?:

Matt Hardy vs Santana June 24th, 2020 (Seriously?)

Cody vs Marq Queen June 10th, 2020

Dustin Rhodes vs Kip Sabian April 22, 2020

Kip Sabian vs Joey Janela February 5, 2020

Those are just the first few that jumped out at me from 2020 as being terrible matchups, and by no means worthy of main eventing a program. So yes using those as “main event” matches definitely makes my tag match idea much better. Especially as it would logically lead into the two big singles matches. Every promotion books that way (look at the New Japan Cup booking of Taichi to set up a tag title match too).

I’m not sure I even really track what you’re arguing at this point.  With the exception of the 6/24 show, AEW won the night with all of those sub-par main events.

Which just underscores the point:  NXT typically has to either get help from the main roster or load up their show with big title matches to even have a chance to beat sub-par episodes of Dynamite.  Which is why I highly doubt an episode headlined by your hypothetical tag match would be a ratings winner on par with what we saw with Sasha/Io.

AEW’s C+ show usually wins.  NXT’s C+ show usually doesn’t, and often hasn’t come close.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 6

To everyone saying Chuck Taylor's Awful Waffle should be a finishing move: He pinned Jungle Boy with it on the May 13th Dynamite. Best Friends beat Jurassic Express.

• Like 2

Swagger and the Mrs taking the time to give their kids a shoutout during the PiP segment was heartwarming, didn't expect it but seeing that and the Trent/Sue moment later in the show made this a great episode imo for those small family moments

The ending sequence, damn! Credit to the agent who helped them work on the finish, loved it.

It sucks we have a Booker T on commentary Twitter account but we still don't have Pants Free JR salivating over the beefcakes of the bizness, I mean if I have to put up with his cranky old man yelling at clouds schtick at the very least we can balance it out with JR losing his mind at the studs and matinee idols of the pro wres! ?

Hyped for next week, I've kept spoiler free so far and am dying to see OC/Jericho and the 8 man tag plus the progression with Brodie and Cabana.?

Interesting strategy here by AEW, acknowledging that the match is taped and selling it based on reviews of people who’ve seen it (granted, from highly biased sources).

Edited by EVA

The Cassidy/Jericho match was fucking great. The 8-man was all the crazy car wreck shit we wanted. The rest of the show was kinda whatever, but it flew by for me.

I get wanting Orange to go over here but there's no way that feud is over, right? Payoff is coming.

• Like 4

I thought Dynamite tonight was excellent. The tag title match was much better than I expected going in, the 8 man tag delivered in spades (I loved the finish), and Jericho/OC while having the outcome I was afraid we’d get was still an awesome match.

However my biggest issue with the show was their Hype Man I mean Owner Tony Khan once again overpromoting on Twitter yesterday. How did this:

Also tomorrow night at Night 2 of the Fyter Fest on #AEWDynamite on TNT, @OfficialTAZ & Brian Cage @MrGMSI_BCage will be interviewed by @tonyschiavone24, and Taz will make an announcement that I guarantee will send shockwaves through the world of professional wrestling!

Turn into the stupid FTW title returning? That doesn’t send shockwaves anywhere, and is going to kill his credibility. 

Especially when you couple that with his overhyping of Nyla Rose’s segment which a) didn’t deliver a big name opponent, and b) had a less than earth shattering announcement in her promo. 

Tony really needs to get the heck off of Twitter if he can’t figure out how to properly promote things. 

• Like 2

Night 2 of Fyter Fest was fucking sweet!

• Private Party vs. Hangman / Omega was a pretty fun brawl, but it never felt like the champs were going to lose.  
  • I'm glad that Janela vs. Archer wasn't a glorified squash match.  Good shit from both guys.  I feel that there should've been more chicanery on Sonny Kiss's part, but faces don't cheat.
  • That fucking eight man tag was fucking insane.  What a glorious train wreck!  I especially enjoyed the spots where the Bucks and FTR hit their double team finishers with the other team's partner and the inside out Mexican Destroyer was fucking bananas!  The right side went over though.  Butcher & Blade needed a win after being clowned for two weeks straight and Lucha Bros are back in the title picture.
  • Brodie Lee must have lurked this board because his ring attire was definitely toned down a notch.  I have no idea where the seduction of Colt Cabana is going and I wonder when Anna Jay will return from reprogramming?
  • I still can't believe that Taz took all of that time just to hand his vanity belt over to Cage.  No one gives a fuck about the FTW title.
  • I was sorta hoping that Cassidy would pull off the upset, but I can understand why you wouldn't book a loss for Jericho after the way that angle built up.
Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Main event was fan fucking tastic. Tag match was exactly what we thought we were getting, which was great but with a lot of the divisive PWG "go go go" stuff.

I admit I popped for the FTW title. Taz is hitting a home run in this role for the most part. 

Next week is STACKED

Edited by For Great Justice
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, J.T. said:

• I still can't believe that Taz took all of that time just to hand his vanity belt over to Cage.  No one gives a fuck about the FTW title.
  •  

I wholeheartedly agree with the entire rest of your post, but I want you to know I had to give you the sad face because I marked out hard for the FTW title. 

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
Though I do question the timing of putting it on him before the title match if he isn't going over. Unless somehow the match won't happen.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nick Jackson has some pretty big balls to take a destroyer to the floor, given the AEW roster’s recent catch rate.

Man, I loved seeing the FTW title.  Taz is giving everything he’s got to get Cage over.  It’s up to Cage to deliver next week.

• Like 5

A few other thoughts:

I forgot to give love to the Britt/Swole angle. It's been entertaining and seems to always chart on Twitter when folks list their favorite parts of the show. 

Also, I mean you can't predict Covid and sure with 20/20 pandemic-predicting hindsight you leave the belt on Jericho at Revolution given he's been the MVP of this entire run of shows, but to me next week is big for both Cage AND Mox. Again of no fault of his own, the champ desperately needs some momentum and direction. 

I'm not the biggest AEW watcher, but as someone who was really eager to see them pull the trigger on Orange, there is no real reason imo to put Jericho over here, as just "holding off until we have a live audience again" as a strategy is just dumb imo. Really good match, but man, wrong guy went over.