DVDVR Message Board

AEW Fyter Fest II - 7/1 & 7/8/2020

I missed the "Alpha Male" talk.  I also forgot to mention his line about "why does Cage wear a shirt when he looks like that?"  Or maybe I'm tuning out pants-free JR?  Sometime during his NJPW tenure, he became the new Ed Whelan, at best no selling stuff he dislikes, shit-talking it at worst, and making up his own angles. 

Two more things on Cody  ?   

The design on the front of his tights makes it look like he has the world's biggest camel toe.

He's venturing into Shawn Spears/DDP "take off maybe one or two gimmicks before you go to the ring" territory.  He's got Arn, pyro you can see from space, bleached hair, a weight belt, goofy tattoos, American flag/Nightmare Family boots that don't match his gear, etc.  And I don't even understand what the design of his tights is supposed to be.  By now I realize I just don't like the dude and can admit it, but come on, his shit is just all over the place. 

Also, when you want to be Dusty, be Dusty the worker and character.  Don't be Dusty the booker.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

And I don;t even understand what the design of his tights is supposed to be. 

Unless I'm mistaken, it seems like it's Guardian inspired from Breath of the Wild.

Speaking of tights, can Kenny please just go back to being the Cleaner? I saw that picture of him on Reddit the other day from his BC days where he had the silver hair and looked like a badass. His sponsored by Razer tights do nothing for me and they're the only tights he wears.

Go back to black.

• Like 4

Hey, at least he is growing his hair out again and moving on from that awful fucking mullet he rocked for the first year of AEW. Holy shit was that a bad look. I don't want full on extensions Omega either.

A few random comments about moves last night:

How fucking pretty is Wardlow’s Swanton? Amazing.

I like how the teased a Goldberg-like quick win by Shida with the running knee and Falcon Arrow attempt right at the bell. The Falcon Arrow and Missile Dropkick counters by Ford were excellent too, they looked perfect.

The Awful Waffle by Chuck is probably my favourite finisher in the company. It requires no elaborate set up, it’s just quick pick up and instant death. Even the commentators always seem to be caught off guard by how brutal it is, it’s always like “Chuck with the pick up OH SHIT!”

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 7

7 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Unless I'm mistaken, it seems like it's Guardian inspired from Breath of the Wild.

LOOOOOOOOOOOL I did not understand a word of that sentence.  That's some video game stuff, right?  How's that fit with his gimmick?  Rhetorical question; I have no idea what his gimmick is because nothing fits.

I like the "AEW Fashion Watch" we all have going on in here and fully endorse keeping it going.

Yeah. I get why JR calls Trent the alpha male of the team even if it is bad commentary. Chuck doesn't have Trent's intensity or look. That's fine. But he does have a lot to offer. He needs more mic time, yep, but he also needs to start pinning people with the Awful Waffle. Looks like he kills people with it, especially the version he hit last night and not the one out of the corner. 

And hell yeah on the Shida tease. They had her win in 10 seconds or whatever last week and did a great job of teasing that last night with the same combo of moves.

I wish they didn't give the last minute #1 contenders' tag match (did they mention that's what it was on commentary?) so much time and the ending of Cody/Hager was better but other than that it was a great show. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

LOOOOOOOOOOOL I did not understand a word of that sentence.  That's some video game stuff, right?  How's that fit with his gimmick?  Rhetorical question; I have no idea what his gimmick is because nothing fits.

I like the "AEW Fashion Watch" we all have going on in here and fully endorse keeping it going.

Cody is a huge Legend of Zelda fan and Breath of the Wild is a huge Zelda game. Guardians are a major enemy in it. I was wrong though. I looked again and the tights are Guardian inspired, but he's definitely still continuing the vibe of video game inspired tights. I too am not a fan of always making it look like he's wearing a cup on the outside of his tights, but it's clearly going to always be part of his attire and to Cody, probably makes him feel more like a video game or comic book character.

It's also not really a gimmick. Some of this stuff that people call out as gimmicks aren't really gimmicks. Dude loves video games, comic books, Star Trek, and maybe Star Wars. Aspects of those things will always find their way into the design of his tights because it's just who he is. Spears I see as someone rocking multiple gimmicks because he's had the colored contact lenses, the chair, and now the weighted glove.

Shida should keep the Tifa from FF7 gear, but maybe slightly change it up every now and then. She's the perfect embodiment of Tifa though. She may as well develop a finisher called Starstorm or Dolphin Flurry.

As for Trent and Chuck, I don't know about anyone else, but I always think Chuck is the more charismatic and energetic part of the team. Trent leans more towards Orange Cassidy for how much he looks like he doesn't give a fuck while Chuck is very expressive.

• Like 1

Co-signed on the Awful Waffle looking great and needing to pin people with it. Yet another move I never thought we'd see on national TV. This is why Chuck is the best.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

On the fashion watch, I said it a few weeks ago - Private Party need a gear change immediately. They look way too skinny and unthreatening and cheesy. They look so much better in their out of ring gear and seem more like guys who do attend exclusive parties and actually look cool (or at least what a 38 year old Paddy, me, assumes to be cool). 

• Like 2

Trent has a more serious and pissed off demeanor in the ring than Chuck. You can especially see it in Trent's awesome selling when he's starting to fight from underneath with those vicious chops. Chuck doesn't have that. He's got that random shout and that's about it. Except against jericho that one time! He looked like Jericho just insulted Sue. 

42 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Speaking of tights, can Kenny please just go back to being the Cleaner? I saw that picture of him on Reddit the other day from his BC days where he had the silver hair and looked like a badass. His sponsored by Razer tights do nothing for me and they're the only tights he wears.

Go back to black.

I had no idea his tights were part of the Razer sponsorship.  Don't know what kind of deal he has in place for wearing them but hopefully we get a change back to the Cleaner.  It did seem in BTE that he referenced looking at himself from back then and wondering what happened with him.  I think it was when Colt was trying to get Kenny to chase him.  So if anything it seems like they're aware and it's only a matter of time.

As for Cody's gear it didn't dawn on me at the time it was Guardian inspired.  I'll have to take another look as I'm a sucker for video game/nerdy elements on wrestling gear.

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Enjoyed Taz mentioning that they run a clean operation.  Fuck you Vince.

That was a real nice needle there. Pot calling kettle in a way, but still. 

They probably shouldn't be showing Darby videos and bringing up Roberts on commentary. Let this stuff develop or not first. 

Just now, Curt McGirt said:

That was a real nice needle there. Pot calling kettle in a way, but still. 

They probably shouldn't be showing Darby videos and bringing up Roberts on commentary. Let this stuff develop or not first. 

As an aside, God would I hate to live next to Darby!

”He’s skateboarding in the dark and listening to music again!”

”He’s set something on fire again!”

“He’s dragging something behind his dirtbike...it’s a body...a mannequin...whatever it is, it’s on fire too!”

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Speaking of theme music, don't know how popular this will be but my favourite AEW themes are Chris Jericho's, MJF and Best Friends.

Darby's theme is a banger, and fits the character. Kenny's has grown on me. Hangman's works really well for his character. Also love Best Friends, same as yourself. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Cody is a huge Legend of Zelda fan and Breath of the Wild is a huge Zelda game. Guardians are a major enemy in it. I was wrong though. I looked again and the tights are Guardian inspired, but he's definitely still continuing the vibe of video game inspired tights. I too am not a fan of always making it look like he's wearing a cup on the outside of his tights, but it's clearly going to always be part of his attire and to Cody, probably makes him feel more like a video game or comic book character.

It's also not really a gimmick. Some of this stuff that people call out as gimmicks aren't really gimmicks. Dude loves video games, comic books, Star Trek, and maybe Star Wars.

That's cool but what's the point?  Who is Cody and why should i cheer for him?  He has no defined character at all.  He wants to be Dusty, Austin, HHH, Flair, and Link all at the same time and it's so self indulgent and stupid.  Who else on the roster gets to just be themselves?  I watch wrestling to be entertained, not to see a career midcarder use his booking power to act out whatever fantasy strikes his fancy from week to week.  That's a little harsh, I know, but I had higher hopes for AEW than watching Stardust transform into HHH 2.0 at the expense of everyone else.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, caley said:

As an aside, God would I hate to live next to Darby!

”He’s skateboarding in the dark and listening to music again!”

”He’s set something on fire again!”

“He’s dragging something behind his dirtbike...it’s a body...a mannequin...whatever it is, it’s on fire too!”

Thanks for this.  I'll try to remember this when the renters next door start getting loud on the deck.  Could be worse!

1 minute ago, Fighting a man with a perm said:

Darby's theme is a banger, and fits the character. Kenny's has grown on me. Hangman's works really well for his character. Also love Best Friends, same as yourself. 

That Best Friends opening riff, man.

1 minute ago, Andy in Kansas said:

I know I've expressed this before, but there's Hangman's theme and then there's everyone else's. 

Best Ecstasy of Gold knockoff out there.

• Like 2

They should have left Justin Roberts at home. The backup announcer is better than he is anyway.

Opening match was good. They really need to stop making their referees look like idiots (more on this later). Stunt is not in the match, interferes right in front of the ref, and no disqualification. Terrible. Good match, outside of that.

Shida-Ford was really good.

Private Party vs Santana & Ortiz was entertaining. Hopefully the Party gets better at putting a match together, instead of just putting their spots together. Santana and Ortiz deserve better.

Cody-Hager. Fuck. Decent match, but babyfaces needing to cheat to win is some bullshit. Can't believe how many people are looking forward to Cody's Fortune rip-off faction. Fuck your shitty tattoo stickers too.

Main event: Trent's mom driving them to the arena was funny.

They managed to make their one referee who didn't look like a moron previously look like a moron here by refusing to remove wrestlers from the ring after a tag. Announcers tried to cover for her by saying she was applying a slower count, but there was no count at all. I'm turning into Jim Cornette complaining about their shitty refs, but they keep being shitty.

Chuck Taylor literally chose to hug his friend instead of attempting a pinfall to win a world title. When they break up Best Friends eventually, that needs to be point #1 in Trent's heel promo.

Good match, other than the couple things noted above. Liked the end of the match, where the announcers pointed out Kenny doesn't drink. Still a dick move to accept a beer and then dump it out like that.

• Like 2