DVDVR Message Board

AEW Fyter Fest II - 7/1 & 7/8/2020

1 minute ago, AxB said:

Any possibility Nyla is facing Sonny, and this is how TK announces he's allowing intergender matches from now on?

With everything going on in the industry right now I would hope every promotion especially AEW doesn’t allow intergender wrestling going forward. It’s a bad look, and one that would attract negative attention. 

2 hours ago, Dog said:

Is ... Moxley really going to work next week? Is there any way he doesn't test positive, if he hasn't already?

Considering he would have received the results within a day, the match hasn't been called off, he hasn't been reported as being symptomatic or positive, and the match hasn't been called off for that as well, then the match will still happen.

Multiple kaiju references in the commentary of the first match.  Holy fuck, this is great!

I totally forgot about HAPPY CANADA DAY~!

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Multiple kaiju references in the commentary of the first match.  Holy fuck, this is great!

I totally forgot about HAPPY CANADA DAY~!

KAIJU BIG BATTEL TO AEW CONFIRMED ~!

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Craig H said:

Considering he would have received the results within a day, the match hasn't been called off, he hasn't been reported as being symptomatic or positive, and the match hasn't been called off for that as well, then the match will still happen.

Or it will supposedly be in two weeks at Fight For the Fallen. I didn’t think there was any way they’d let him work tonight (or tomorrow) without having had a proper quarantine. They couldn’t afford to risk him infecting the roster. 

• Like 1

1st hour was awesome!  2nd felt a bit overbooked.

• JE vs. MJF / Wardlow was about as good of a curtain jerker as you could ask for.  I obviously marked out for the kaiju references.  
  • I enjoyed the ladies title match more than I thought I would.  Penelope Ford Is a much lesser shade of green that we've seen in previous weeks. When she works in some spots that actually soften her opponents up for her Cutter, she'll be GTG.  I was impressed with Penelope's progression as a worker.  She is coming along nicely.  Shida is Shida.  I love her dearly.  She's a big time cosplayer so I think for an event like this, she shoulda come to the ring dressed as Tifa Lockhart or something.
  • Taz's The Science of Pro Wrestling needs to be a normal segment.
  • Normally I am a big fan of veteran presence finishes, but I kinda hate the finish of the Cody vs. Jake Hagger match.   Probably because of the Dustin run-in, or maybe it is the chicanery at the end of the match that sets Cody on the path to heeldom?  We'll have to wait and see.
  • Trent's mom drove Best Friends to the ring.  FFS can a man win a title match with one of his parents sitting at ringside?  Both teams were on fucking point and it was a really good mach, but part of me died when Adam Page killed Trent knowing that Trent's mom had to watch her son eat the pinfall.  Will the arrogance of Kenny Omega send the Hangman to the corner of FTR.  I guess we'll see on Night 2 when Page & Hangman defend against Private Party.
Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

Really fun opening tag. Luchasaurus really is a goddamn freak. I don't even know what to call that flying move he did to out of the ring but it's crazy for a guy his size, never seen that one before. I haven't seen MJF and/or Wardlow have a bad match yet in the short time I've watched. 

Ford/Shida was honestly better than I expected. I don't know if it really needed the finisher overkill because it doesn't leave them a ton of places to go in a remacth, but it was a good match. The unique dodge of the missile dropkick was really cool.

I enjoyed Hager/Cody as an old fashioned match, though I'm not sure the finish really needed the run-in. Honestly that kind of took it down a notch for me, but it was otherwise fine. I thought they'd work in more submissions than we saw. Jericho shouting out the "TSN Turning Point" for Canada Day got a smirk out of me. Honestly kind of expected a 20 minute draw instead of the result here because it would have given them a return match they could throw out on night 2, to make up for Moxley/Cage not being there.

I wasn't that excited for Private Party vs. Santana/Ortiz but I thought they did a good job. Spot Fu, for sure, but it was fun spot fu. They didn't really fuck anything up and had some pretty crazy stuff. This was basically filler for me and my tastes, but it's fine.

Jericho coming unhinged at Orange Cassidy just sitting there is entertaining me more than I would have guessed.

Heel promo Taz is the best Taz. I'm glad AEW is trying to play it safe with the Covid situation, so this promo on Moxley is the best of a shitty situation.

The Best Friends' ring entrance was amazing. The match was pretty awesome. Match of the night for sure, doubtful there will be a better match at either night of Fyter Fest. Omega really does take some of the wildest looking bumps in the business, and these teams have great chemistry. This was all action and it was solid.

As someone who doesn't drink, I hate it when "not drinking beer" is used to make someone look like a jerk like they do with Omega here. Like dude, you know he doesn't drink. Don't offer him a fucking beer then act shocked he doesn't want it. Whatever. It's fine as an angle, just a personal peeve of mine.

Night 1 of Fyter Fest always looked more loaded than night 2, even more so with Moxley/Cage off the card. I'd say this delivered. None of these matches were bad and the main event was excellent.

• Like 3

That slap from Jake's wife was hilarious! Even she couldn't believe how good of a slap it was, with a "whoops" and quickly covered for her shocked expression. I'm only at that point of the show but it is way over delivering. Shida/Ford was great and I didn't see that coming at all. Love hyper aggressive Shida and Ford has come a LONG way in a short time. Opener was a little too contrived in spots for my liking but overall was also in that very good-to-great range. Cody with more shenanigans. Brother is turning heel real quick. Helluva punch on Posey. 

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1

Shida/Ford was awesome, my favorite match of the night for sure. Hikaru is just on fire and Ford looked to be at her best here, loved it. Great opening tag. Enjoyed Cody/Hager, cool finish, but agree on the all the interference spots being a bit much and I will forever resist turning Cody. Very good main event as expected, still love Omega & Hangman as a team and hope they hang on for awhile.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bear Wyatt said:

That ending was a possible hint of things to come.  Page and FTR are a nice 3-out-of-4 Horsemen.  Maybe they add a guy like Spears to complete the group?

I’ve yet to get that far into tonight’s show, but what about the obvious fourth guy? FTR filling the tag spot, Hangman Page in the Arn Anderson role, and Cody as Ric Flair. Since I don’t see Cody letting them do a Horsemen tribute act without him being the leader. Plus in that scenario AA can be their JJ Dillon.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

As someone who doesn't drink, I hate it when "not drinking beer" is used to make someone look like a jerk like they do with Omega here. Like dude, you know he doesn't drink. Don't offer him a fucking beer then act shocked he doesn't want it. Whatever. It's fine as an angle, just a personal peeve of mine.

I think it would've been okay if Kenny had just said "Nah, man. I'm good," but pouring out the beer was an obvious sign of disrespect, as if to say he did not want to celebrate a win with FTR.  It sent the right message, but maybe with the wrong gimmick.

They didn't really convey if Kenny felt insulted that FTR offered him a beer as if they should know that he's straight edge.

• Like 1

FTR have to be the least cool ‘cool guys’ in wrestling.  I’d rather hang out with Seth Rollins!

I like Private Party’s new (newer) theme.  I always thought it was weird that a team of club kids came out to a shitty rock song. 

Do you think Santana and Ortiz regret coming to AEW? Man, they have not won an important match in months.  And with Omega/Page, Bucks, FTR, Lucha Bros, even Private Party ahead of them in the pecking order, they’re not likely to get a shot any time soon.  

Loved the women’s match. The only thing I would’ve changed was I would have had Penelope, backstage, tell Sabian to stay in the back and then her entrance would have been more about her (Kip kinda mugged and posed in the ramp and I thought it took away from her entrance) and the announcers could have put over her doing it herself which would it that much more evil when she distracts the ref to bring out Kip.  

I found the second hour pretty dull honestly.

Cody-Hagar was basically Cody Rhodes big match formula #3 and Jericho was off on commentary by not getting all that riled up by the Dustin interference, which was weird.  

PP-PP was all right but Matt Hardy being in their corner doesn’t make the Partys offence look any better or less botchy.  Santana and Ortiz deserve better. 

Aside from Kenny getting dropped on his head, I thought the main was a pretty by the numbers TV match.  I can not get into this cool guys who make wisecracks and drive an old-timey truck version of the FTR. It’s honestly kinda cringe-y

• Like 2

MJF's can you do anything right to Wardlow is just another seed being planted. I hope this slow burn continues for a while yet.

I am about 2 steps away from being Shadownetico about Shida.

Cody good wrestler. Hager decent wrestler. Match zzzzzzzzzzz.

Orange Catsidy getting under Jericho's skin by doing nothing...chef kiss.

Discount Street Profits deadass have potential. Matt will be a great mentor for them. Is this the beginning of the end for the Inner Circle?

Clearly FTR doesn't watch BTE or Stadium Stampede. Subtle dick move offering them beer. Overall really good first night.

2 minutes ago, caley said:

Do you think Santana and Ortiz regret coming to AEW? Man, they have not won an important match in months.  And with Omega/Page, Bucks, FTR, Lucha Bros, even Private Party ahead of them in the pecking order, they’re not likely to get a shot any time soon.  

They were heavily featured with Chris Jericho for months. I do think they could do more with them and the tag division in general the last couple of months but I think they'll be okay. Do you rate them higher than Bucks, FTR, Page/Omega, and the Lucha Bros? I don't but that's a pretty great group of teams to work with.