Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

Recommended Posts

34 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

The issue is this pandemic and how much longer we are going to be stuck in this. Fans might not even be returning to arenas for big events like this in the US for another year at least.

I'm not trying to play devil's advocate here. I want the wrestling industry to survive this, so don't take what I'm about to say negatively, cause that's not the intention:

It's gotten to the point where both my wife and myself, watching AEW or WWE and seeing recaps/flashbacks/etc back to when things were normal, and thinking seeing a live audience is strange and unusual; we've gotten used to empty arenas, and they feel normal. That's a strange feeling to have. Does anyone else feel the same?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, The Green Meanie said:

I'm not trying to play devil's advocate here. I want the wrestling industry to survive this, so don't take what I'm about to say negatively, cause that's not the intention:

It's gotten to the point where both my wife and myself, watching AEW or WWE and seeing recaps/flashbacks/etc back to when things were normal, and thinking seeing a live audience is strange and unusual; we've gotten used to empty arenas, and they feel normal. That's a strange feeling to have. Does anyone else feel the same?

It is strange, and I very much understand that feeling. I think AEW is almost at the point where they will have had more "empty arena" events than actual live events with paid fans in attendance, which is also very strange if you think about it.

So my thought process is, if AEW was possibly holding off some big event type matches or moments because of the pandemic, can they really hold off on them if it is going to be like this for a while if this is the normal way of things at this point? My thought was, "wait until fans are back for MJF to have his run" or "wait for fans to have Blood & Guts." But those might not be realistic options anymore if this is going to be the way of things for another year if not longer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

It is strange, and I very much understand that feeling. I think AEW is almost at the point where they will have had more "empty arena" events than actual live events with paid fans in attendance, which is also very strange if you think about it.

So my thought process is, if AEW was possibly holding off some big event type matches or moments because of the pandemic, can they really hold off on them if it is going to be like this for a while if this is the normal way of things at this point? My thought was, "wait until fans are back for MJF to have his run" or "wait for fans to have Blood & Guts." But those might not be realistic options anymore if this is going to be the way of things for another year if not longer.

That's what I brought up not too long ago. If you wanna it make up to the fans in Newark that you didn't have B&G there, by this time this is probably over, you would have had enough distance between those matches to do one in Newark eventually. Shit, Cody's dad would do whole tours with WarGames matches on every show (many of them in stadiums filled at 1/4 capacity).

They've had two straight weeks on Dynamite where dudes are taking thumbtacks to the back. You can do B&G now.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Great to see the Kingston signing. There is an infatuation with stables (many of them utterly generic & meaningless) but it would be good to see more spotlight on more individuals like Kingston with a decidedly singular focus on their own individual status / success. Would be cool to continue to develop that kind of paranoia / unpredictable atmosphere that characterised his first appearance.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2020 at 5:33 PM, Casey said:

Cardona is on a 5 appearance deal supposedly, so you guys can calm down with the screeching about him being signed.

Also - all of a sudden, AEW has a few Roddy Piper merch items on their website.

I'm not sure why anyone would be upset about Cardona signing. He isn't taking a spot from a young guy. AEW is using their young talent really well, and adding a guy like Cardona won't change that...

Link to post
Share on other sites
Spoiler

Chris Jericho revealed during his live stream on Saturday night that former NXT star Taynara Conti is part of the AEW women's tag team tournament. According to Jericho, Conti will be teaming up with Anna Jay against Nyla Rose and Ariana

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Hail Sabin said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Chris Jericho revealed during his live stream on Saturday night that former NXT star Taynara Conti is part of the AEW women's tag team tournament. According to Jericho, Conti will be teaming up with Anna Jay against Nyla Rose and Ariana

 

So for those who don't know what's behind the spoiler tags, it's about a team that Jericho said would be in the women's tag tournament. But he also mentioned two other teams that are confirmed, I guess.

Spoiler

Ivelisse/Diamanté and Allie/Brandi

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

FWIW, according to Cody, Matt Cardona's shirt on AEW.com broke sales records. I think he said it's the best selling piece of merch in company history. If Cardona isn't signed full time, he will be soon. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah but what VALUE does Cardona bring to AEW besides merch sales? Look at him, he can barely run (in tight pants)! He's obviously on steroids (and not just already a massive human being)! How dare Cody bring in his WWE friends (even though most of the roster are friends with Kenny or the Bucks or even Cody).

Good for Matt, I'm happy for him. Get that fuckin' bread.

Speaking of...

 

Edited by Casey
  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't care who they sign now that they've got Kingston. They can sign up all the castoffs and it can be the island of misfit toys but so long as Eddie Kingston gives tear jerker or hyper aggressive promos once a week, I'm good. 

Also, I think I'm turning into a wrestling figure dork, so I guess in that way, I admire Cardona's grind and excess cash. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I'm tempted to go to Walmart tomorrow to buy the AEW figures, but that also means going to Walmart...

Skip the mask and go straight for a suit of armor

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't shop at Walmart but Ringside has all 6 for 125 I may do that. I've been considering starting a wrestling figures collection.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

So season one of the AEW figures is Cody, Brandi, Matt, Nick, Kenny and Jericho. Season two is Penta, Fenix, Moxley, MJF, Hangman and Dustin. Three has the Pac, Orange Cassidy and Darby figures we've seen prototypes of, plus allegedly Luchasaurus and Jungle Boy... you'd think Sammy G would be an early one. Santana and Ortiz should be getting figures early too. I saw a YouTube video where a guy said he had leaks of the first seven seasons but that had Jericho and the Bucks coming up three times each, which doesn't seem right (as soon as season 3 there were season one guys returning). But they're going to have to do an All-Women's season at some point, if they aren't going to do one woman a season. I mean, Britt, Shida, Nyla, Penelope, Swole and Kris Stat is a pretty good set. Maybe switch one of them out for Riho if she's back on TV by then.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, The Green Meanie said:

Thanks for that. Unfortunately it appears to be an old Jakks Pacific ring, so eh, not as excited.

https://www.ringsidecollectibles.com/aew-authentic-scale-ring-aewrex-001.html

They do have a regular ring as shown above. But I still can't believe I paid so much for an authentic style one. 

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

I'm tempted to go to Walmart tomorrow to buy the AEW figures, but that also means going to Walmart...

I got most of the set but will check out the one by me. If they have them then cool but luckily there's the site as backup. And man do I wish they had these in Target. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

https://prowrestling.net/site/2020/08/03/three-aew-dynamite-shows-bumped-by-nba-coverage-one-episode-to-air-opposite-an-hour-of-nxt-takeover-xxx/

Quote

TNT issued a press release on Monday to announce that it will be pushing back the airing of three episodes of AEW Dynamite due to its NBA coverage. The Dynamite show scheduled for August 19 will instead air on Saturday, August 22 at 5ET/6CT. The August 26 and September 16 episodes will instead air on Thursday, August 27 and Thursday, September 17 at 7CT/8ET.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, elizium said:

Looks at odessa's watch, "Oh cool, it's one of those old Casio calculator ones."

I had one of those. #nosurpirse #nerd

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...