DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUL 2020

I caught the FTR match. Not much to say but I loved the spot where Cash set up the tag with his outstretched foot so that the ref would be distracted by Dax feigning like he had a right to be in the ring, thus creating a transition moment where Cash could rake the eyes and take back over on offense. That's the stuff right there.

• Like 3

Feels like they're investing in the long term with Scorpio Sky now. He's on Dark every week winning singles matches, his outfit has undergone some changes to take him away from SCU, and he's constantly being put over on commentary as someone on the brink of a good run at the belt. Forgive the fantasy booking, I could see Sky being the guy to defeat Cody for the TNT belt if they want to relaunch him properly. And if he Sky isn't the ball of charisma they need right now, they have enough managers around to talk for him. Shit, if that's Eddie Kingston's new role they could make some real money.

• Like 5

I get why people would think Eddie Kingston would be better off served as a mouthpiece for somebody. He's one of the best talkers around, probably the best, and he's not in the greatest of shape. But who really cares about the second point other than JR? If he were doing agile flippy bullshit I would then care but he doesn't. He presents as somebody who hits people really hard and as a tough motherfuck. I believe it. He's only 38 too. Is his body breaking down? 

They might have more than enough managers or mouthpieces at this point. I'm in favor of Kingston being a grizzled, shit talking vet who will also punk you the fuck out. I also thought I recall Kingston saying he was looking at retiring pretty soon.

I didn't think this was a bad show but it was definitely a step back in quality from last week. The 10-man was an absolute fucking mess, honestly the best part was watching the guys on the fly come up with a stunt show sequence to buy Luchasauraus time to fix his busted mask.

I thought Cody/Warhorse was fine. Obviously it wasn't going to be as good as the Kingston match (god, what a shitty place to have to follow that up) but in terms of execution, it was probably the best match on the show. I honestly enjoyed it, sorry. I have a feeling this is going to be a theme like when I tried to watch WWE a few years back and everyone on the board told me Alberto Del Rio was awful, and he was literally the only heel in the company that knew how to work a fucking match to my eyes.

I don't really care about the Dark Order tag title challenge because they are never winning in a billion years, though it did produce that one super cool camera shot of the dive over the post.

The women's match was a match that occurred on TV.  

MJF's segment was excellent. Jericho's promo was excellent. The heel talkers in this company are, generally, a strength.

The main event was fine but honestly lacked much of a story to really get me invested at all. Just four guys that did stuff. If they were going to do a tornado tag I kind of wish they'd just made this falls count anywhere or something.  The finish was wild but the rest of the match lacked much impact for me at all.

EDIT: Hey this is not the Dynamite thread, good job DFA, you are trying your best.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Death From Above said:

I didn't think this was a bad show but it was definitely a step back in quality from last week. The 10-man was an absolute fucking mess, honestly the best part was watching the guys on the fly come up with a stunt show sequence to buy Luchasauraus time to fix his busted mask.

JR lost it during the match screaming about how you need two refs for these multi person tag matches and it got me thinking don't they have two refs for lucha matches that have more than 4 people on a team or did I make that up?

20 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

JR lost it during the match screaming about how you need two refs for these multi person tag matches and it got me thinking don't they have two refs for lucha matches that have more than 4 people on a team or did I make that up?

They used to do it in cmll. They may still do it in AAA. The problem is you had a tecnico ref (Pepe casas or Bebe Richards) or a rudo ref (tirantes or tirantes jr notably) which is its own set of problems.

I'm watching AAA from 15 years ago on Pluto and they seem to have a lot of their own set of problems, for instances this four way match that i'm watching right now the only offensive move from anyone for the first two or three minutes were chair shots.

47 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I have decided that the lottery needs to be rigged so that Nyla Rose and Abaddon are on the same team for the ladies tag-title tournament.

They teamed up Rose with Arianne last night.

• Like 1

They'll have to bring in more than a few women to fill out that tournament since so many of the roster is on the shelf. Obviously you want someone like Thunder Rosa and it would seem Ivelisse is in the mix, who else could fill out the spots? I assume anyone signed with Impact and Ring of Honor is out and the only WWE releases available are Maria Kanellis and Sarah Logan and they're both out too. And my early call for winner is Allie and Brandi.

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

I have decided that the lottery needs to be rigged so that Nyla Rose and Abaddon are on the same team for the ladies tag-title tournament.

They announced last night that Nyla is teamed with the former Cameron from WWE so that won’t happen. I’d have preferred your idea though.

Build up to a final of Rebel and whoever vs Brit and whoever. 

Brit has no idea who this "Rebel" person is  because she hasn't been paying the least bit of attention to the tournament at all and she's thought her name was Reba this whole time.  Shes shocked and completely unprepared.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, J.T. said:

This would have been super bitchin'. Good fucking shout.

35 minutes ago, The Green Meanie said:

I'm still hoping for my ideal team of Abadon and Kris Statlander.

Also a pretty great idea, but Statlander is out like 8 months or some such shit with an ACL, no?

47 minutes ago, grilledcheese said:

This would have been super bitchin'. Good fucking shout.

Also a pretty great idea, but Statlander is out like 8 months or some such shit with an ACL, no?

From watching the AEW podcast on youtube it sounds like Statlander will try to come back much sooner. 

It will be interesting to see if in the Tournament we see Shanna or Sadie Gibbs return since we haven't seen either in awhile. 

On 7/29/2020 at 2:18 PM, Godfrey said:

Feels like they're investing in the long term with Scorpio Sky now. He's on Dark every week winning singles matches, his outfit has undergone some changes to take him away from SCU, and he's constantly being put over on commentary as someone on the brink of a good run at the belt. Forgive the fantasy booking, I could see Sky being the guy to defeat Cody for the TNT belt if they want to relaunch him properly. And if he Sky isn't the ball of charisma they need right now, they have enough managers around to talk for him. Shit, if that's Eddie Kingston's new role they could make some real money.

Interesting.  I'd seen his name getting some singles wins.  I'm gonna check this out now.  He definitely needs some help with projecting his character.  A manager is necessary.  I also think a heel turn might be helpful.  That said, I like the idea of Daniels becoming more of an active manager and keeping the SCU together.  But please, as heels.  I also like the idea of Kingston rolling with Scorp.  But...

On 7/29/2020 at 2:40 PM, Jiji said:

I get why people would think Eddie Kingston would be better off served as a mouthpiece for somebody. He's one of the best talkers around, probably the best, and he's not in the greatest of shape. But who really cares about the second point other than JR? If he were doing agile flippy bullshit I would then care but he doesn't. He presents as somebody who hits people really hard and as a tough motherfuck. I believe it. He's only 38 too. Is his body breaking down? 

Kingston looked fine in his singlet top, but he looked even better with the Taxi-Driver t-shirt.  Cut the arms off the tee and keep it on and Eddie's got his best look.  I'm with you tho.  I like Kingston coming in 'rouge' and messing with the shows until he gets a contract.  Anyway, I wanna see the grizzled vet reel the greenhornes in out there.    

Edited by HarryArchieGus

Am I the only one who would watch a feeder promotion featuring Shawn Dean, Will Hobbs, Corey Hollis, Griff Garrison, KiLynn King, Anna Jay, 5, 10, Brady Pierce, Pineapple Pete, Serpentico, Robert Anthony, Joe Alonzo, Skyler Moore, Christi Jaynes, Dani Jordan, Faboo Andre, Rache Chanel, and the like? You can even have the AEW mid-carders headlining shows...

• Like 1