DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUL 2020

I feel like the last couple Dark having some angle advancement and a non-squash main event is a good step. Feels like the creative has sort of had it dawn on them the lockdown isn't ending anytime soon and you can't just sit on everything until you have crowds back. Dynamite was pretty wild last week as well. Feels like the go mode has been activated and maybe some big stuff happens in the next month.

• Like 1

I've been on the Abadon wagon since she first debuted, easily my favorite female talent on AEW. Sooooo happy she's got an official shirt as well!

Reall enjoyed this week's episode of Dark, had a little bit of something for everyone, no matter your taste. Dark is usually my second favorite part of the week (Dynamite being the first.)

Not a fan of Cutler/Avalon's new tag team name though.

Nakazawa and Pineapple Pete have the possibility of becoming my 4th boy tag team, if they become a regular thing.

The wife and I watch BTE after Dark, and we're both loving the Griff Garrison storyline, he's one of my favorites besides Blackjack Lanza Kazarian.

Abadon/Moore was really solid. Good brawling out of the ring. Abadon is fucking terrifying. I will say this every time I see her on my TV/monitor.  YouTube on my tv went to a stupid ad midmatch and there was a black screen for a second or two before the ads started. Abadon was the last thing I saw before darkness. I was so scared she was going to Sadako my ass. 

• Haha 3

Hobbs should get the Big Bubba Rogers treatment, get pulled from TV for a month and repackaged as a heavy for someone with more experience so he can stand around looking menacing (one of his best skills) and learning the craft. He could fit in with maybe Private Party as the guy manning the rope if you heeled them up or with Sabian and Ford as their stoic third.

Abadon is the type of character that stirs the imagination of creative people and would get the 'I'm going to find all sorts of fucked up things for you to do' from a Kevin Sullivan. I would change her gear some so its more ramshackle and less pro wrestling and change her entrance so its a larger production than her crawling from the back. I kind of want her to emerge from a trunk or something rather than coming from the same place everyone else does. She should go right on the attack immediately every time she gets to the ring and never, ever lock up. The Widow's Peak is a good finisher for her and I'm glad to see that move come back.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

Not a fan of Cutler/Avalon's new tag team name though.

On its own it's a weird name.  But since Excalibur said it's a D&D reference I'm cool with it.  My wife did love the crap out of it though.

And Abadon is terrifying looking and has that look that while gruesome you just can't look away.  I like her.

26 minutes ago, Goodear said:

Hobbs should get the Big Bubba Rogers treatment, get pulled from TV for a month and repackaged as a heavy for someone with more experience so he can stand around looking menacing (one of his best skills) and learning the craft. He could fit in with maybe Private Party as the guy manning the rope if you heeled them up or with Sabian and Ford as their stoic third.

That's an amazing idea. Hopefully at some point Cody will break a balsa wood chair over his head as a callback to Bubba and Meng.

13 hours ago, OSJ said:

No, there is very little about the wrestling biz that Cody hasn't mastered (uh, other than the actual wrestling part), that is a perfect heel response to come across as pompous, self-serving, and totally un-self-aware. Remember, to be a great villain you must think that you are the hero. Cody is just fucking great outside the ring. Inside he's decent but nothing that I would get excited about.

Counterpoint: if that is indeed what he's doing, working the smarks and heeling it up on Twitter is some Russo-ass shit

• Like 1

Good episode of Dark. FTR/Initiative was fun and I'm slowly getting into the jobber team even if the Librarian needs to eat way more sweet potatoes. Dark Order/Best Friends was also great, glad to see the Awful Waffle get the pin. Am I the only one who thinks Trent's headband is holding him back? Once he lost it in this match I thought he had a much better look for a singles run. I know the receding hairline isn't fun but if he just embraces it he would look a lot more like a serious contender and not give off 'old guy at the club' vibes.

I don't remember which Black wrestler on twitter commented that AEW's men division looking real white and almost all the Black men are job guys putting over white dudes, but yeah. Not too far off. Their women's division is very diverse. Men's not so much. There's Sky and Kiss. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jiji said:

I don't remember which Black wrestler on twitter commented that AEW's men division looking real white and almost all the Black men are job guys putting over white dudes, but yeah. Not too far off. Their women's division is very diverse. Men's not so much. There's Sky and Kiss. 

Poor Private Party.

• Like 2

Do job guys count?  I know their roles are to lose competitive matches but I would consider them anyway since they may end up established stars of some kind at some point.  Lee Johnson and Sean Dean are pretty good and Will Hobbs will be money once he gets better.  Or like some of said just have him as a heater for now.

I don't think it's so much them going out of there way to do that as there is only so much card space and resources to sign talent right now. I think what would only contribute to the problem is trying to go diversity for the sake of diversity only have those people basically be jobbers too. If they're doing long term booking, most of the top guys right now are going to stay in their current place. They have a couple tiers of talent that is virtually solidified. Everything after that is basically cannon fodder. I believe if they was a big name FA black wrestler out there, they would snatch him up. However, if WWE is locking people up for nearly half a decade, your options are limited. 

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, Jiji said:

A J Gray. Who you should definitely be going out of your way to watch. Dude has "it" by the shitload.

Speaking of unsigned indie wrestlers, there's a petition to get Lufisto booked on Dynamite which I've signed. Originally it was for a TNT title shot but Cody said No Intergender so now it's just to wrestle on the show.

In terms of who's out there they should look at, horny Jim Ross would explode at the sight of "The big bad Kaiju" O'Shay Edwards. 6'3", 275, ex College Football Linebacker, and he can work.

• Like 1

Just now, AxB said:

A J Gray. Who you should definitely be going out of your way to watch. Dude has "it" by the shitload.

Speaking of unsigned indie wrestlers, there's a petition to get Lufisto booked on Dynamite which I've signed. Originally it was for a TNT title shot but Cody said No Intergender so now it's just to wrestle on the show.

In terms of who's out there they should look at, horny Jim Ross would explode at the sight of "The big bad Kaiju" O'Shay Edwards. 6'3", 275, ex College Football Linebacker, and he can work.

I brought up LuFisto months back but someone said she isn't leaving Canada. Has something changed in the interim?

17 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I brought up LuFisto months back but someone said she isn't leaving Canada. Has something changed in the interim?

Don't know, but I would love to see her in AEW before she calls it a career. I know that she isn't fond of leaving Canada, but I'd think that if they wanted to fly her in for a week or so and tape some appearances that she might be cool with that. Of course, this board is hip to her, but I'm just giddy thinking of what the reaction of people seeing her for the first time would be. LuFisto fucking rocks.

It's a shame that both Bianaca BelAire and her husband are locked in Vinnyland for the next three or four years, I'd love to see both of them in AEW.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

They do push other minority male wrestlers though. Santana and Ortiz are usually put in a prominent match or segment, Sammy definitely was before his suspension (and is again last week and tonight), the Lucha Bro’s get a decent push when they’re available (which is more COVID related than AEW booking). 

• Thanks 1

AJ Gray was talking strictly about Black people though, IIRC. It's not a crisis or anything but it would be nice to have some more Black men prominently featured. AxB just listed off a few potential names and they could be doing more with Sky. They are giving Sonny Kiss something to do with the Janela tag, so it's nice he has some direction finally. Private Party tutoring under Matt Hardy is a nice touch. I have been meaning to get around to the IWTV mixtape and will do so next week.

I think the one thing they didn't get 100% right is not capitalizing on doing something with Scorpio Sky after the Jericho thing. He isn't a ball of charisma, but he could be like a black Ricky Steamboat or something. The SCU thing can only carry him so far.

• Like 2