DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUL 2020

13 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

It's like the VP of Coca Cola tweeting that carbonated beverages are a concept whose time has passed.

While slurping from the equvalent of a coca cola beer hat. For someone who seems to take himself so seriously, Cody does lack a touch of self awareness.

• Like 3

That Cody response is absolutely a heel move, intended or otherwise. Such a pompous asshole. Can't wait for it, bb.

Ah, going back to Excalibur's time as a wrestler (though not really a wrestler here at all)... This was so much fun. Right up there with Rick Knox's Free Willy tope con giro on the Young Bucks.

Kyle O'Reilly does some stuff too, I guess. Yeah, he's pretty good (for my NXT viewing peeps, doe she still do the rebound lariat spot or was that a no-no because Ambrose had "taken" it?).

edit: Just want to state that PWG was a fucking blast during this phase. Rushmore 2.0 era may have had the most stacked line-up and the Goldberg run Chuck Taylor had was my favourite thing I've seen from the company. ZSJ/Chuck had a perfect match.

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 2

I went down an old PWG rabbit hole a week or so ago when I watched, in really no particular order:

The Younger vs Callihan Guerrilla Warfare match

Bucks vs Candace & Joey Guerilla Warfare

Steen vs Generico ladder match

Bucks & Cage vs Generico, Steen, & Knox

So much really great shit from the Legion years.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

The Younger vs Callihan Guerrilla Warfare match

That's the one with the garbage can bottom slicing open what looked to be an axe wound on Drake's head, right? Or was that the triple threat match around the same time? Drake's PWG run was fun.

Things started going downhill when NXT signed up most of their established stars but the move to the Globe Theater was the final nail in the coffin for me. I didn't like the lighting, though it looked good in photos, and the atmosphere sucked. That first BOLA run there with the heinously, rather, laughably bad PCO/Brody King match was just game over time for me. I hope they can rebuild a new group of stars but I dunno. That'll take years. PWG and Lucha Underground were so much fun up until the death of the super indies. Lucha Underground's demise was more of its own failures than outside forces, though. But fuck it, we've got AEW and I guess losing out on prime PWG was part of the cost.

18 minutes ago, Jiji said:

That's the one with the garbage can bottom slicing open what looked to be an axe wound on Drake's head, right? Or was that the triple threat match around the same time? Drake's PWG run was fun.

Things started going downhill when NXT signed up most of their established stars but the move to the Globe Theater was the final nail in the coffin for me. I didn't like the lighting, though it looked good in photos, and the atmosphere sucked. That first BOLA run there with the heinously, rather, laughably bad PCO/Brody King match was just game over time for me. I hope they can rebuild a new group of stars but I dunno. That'll take years. PWG and Lucha Underground were so much fun up until the death of the super indies. Lucha Underground's demise was more of its own failures than outside forces, though. But fuck it, we've got AEW and I guess losing out on prime PWG was part of the cost.

Yeah, that was the match with the gaping head wound.  Fucking gross. 

I don't mind the Globe so much but there's definitely something missing.  At the same time, would we mind the Globe so much if the talent hadn't left?  Losing so many top guys AND changing buildings was really a tough 1-2 punch.  And before COVID they were relying pretty heavily on David Starr, so there's another blow.

I've been buying their DVDs for a long time but, now that I've subscribed to Highspots, I may just wait a year for their stuff instead once they start back up again.  With the loss of talent, so many other indies using the same talent, and AEW existing, PWG just doesn't feel as essential to me.  But shit, who knows?  Maybe their first show back will be stacked and hyped and they'll gut my $20.

Edited by Technico Support

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

I was gonna ask if there are any bloody PWG matches that might be found on Youtube to put in the Bloodsucking thread. 

I would be soooo happy if BTE just became the Misadventures of John Silver featuring Mr. Brodie Lee. Every week they annihilate me. The pan to Griff fucking Garrison behind the bar. ?

Silver cannot not laugh.

• Like 5

I do think whenever Cody tweets, he's playing it up and exaggerating to various degrees for the social media crowd because everyone loses their collective **** on Twitter. 

Now, I know I said AEW needs a hiring freeze a while back...but man, I was so impressed with Eddie Kingston last week, I'm kind of feeling they had to sign the dude after that. His promos were so good too. 

5 hours ago, Jiji said:

I would be soooo happy if BTE just became the Misadventures of John Silver featuring Mr. Brodie Lee. Every week they annihilate me. The pan to Griff fucking Garrison behind the bar. ?

Silver cannot not laugh.

Uno's line about the concussion protocol was top-flight also. I like that Griff had a purple shirt on. He was trying to blend in!

• Like 1

When they first picked Reynolds and Silver up, and started using them just as jobbers (at a time when no-one in AEW was a jobber), I was thinking either AEW were wasting their talents or they didn't know what they had. But they seem to have figured out what they have now.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jiji said:

That Cody response is absolutely a heel move, intended or otherwise. Such a pompous asshole. Can't wait for it, bb.

Ah, going back to Excalibur's time as a wrestler (though not really a wrestler here at all)... This was so much fun. Right up there with Rick Knox's Free Willy tope con giro on the Young Bucks.

Kyle O'Reilly does some stuff too, I guess. Yeah, he's pretty good (for my NXT viewing peeps, doe she still do the rebound lariat spot or was that a no-no because Ambrose had "taken" it?)

Iirc he has tended to occasionally either have it countered before hitting it, or attempt it as a manly no-sell spot before hilariously falling out of the ring dead instead

KO'R rules and is the best UE guy imo

I only skim BTE but that was a more enjoyable skim then I can remember having.  I’ve been fond of the Dark Order from their first bout forward (agreed debut and all lights out featuring them were a mistake), and am very pleased where they’ve gotten to here.  Even more stoked after having recently seen a Josh Silver Indy bout.  That guy is crisp.  I love Brodie Lee, Uno and Grayson and look forward to where this could all go.  Also, dug this week’s Cabana bit. I should probably catch up on this Omega storyline as most of what I had seen was solid.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus

3 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Thanks for posting that as I meant to yesterday.  I highly recommend this as she not only seems like a genuinely awesome person but it's crazy all that she had to overcome.  She had to overcome being struck by lightning, temporary paralysis, Crohn's Disease and even colon cancer.  It's crazy hearing her talk about all that and also her interaction with Lesnar which cracked me up.  I always liked Swole before but I absolutely love her now.  Definitely worth a listen.

• Like 4

nb: Danhausen and WARHORSE have this thing where every time they ask each other if they won. So...

On 7/27/2020 at 10:28 AM, A_K said:

While slurping from the equvalent of a coca cola beer hat. For someone who seems to take himself so seriously, Cody does lack a touch of self awareness.

No, there is very little about the wrestling biz that Cody hasn't mastered (uh, other than the actual wrestling part), that is a perfect heel response to come across as pompous, self-serving, and totally un-self-aware. Remember, to be a great villain you must think that you are the hero. Cody is just fucking great outside the ring. Inside he's decent but nothing that I would get excited about.

• Like 2

On 7/28/2020 at 12:50 AM, TheVileOne said:

I do think whenever Cody tweets, he's playing it up and exaggerating to various degrees for the social media crowd because everyone loses their collective **** on Twitter. 

Now, I know I said AEW needs a hiring freeze a while back...but man, I was so impressed with Eddie Kingston last week, I'm kind of feeling they had to sign the dude after that. His promos were so good too. 

Was watching an old Nitro around the time DDP faced Goldberg .. occured to me that Kingston could sort of be good in that DDP role, not least the slightly reminiscent East Coast accent. Both pretty unconventional, coming into mainstream notoriety relatively late into their careers .. both fire on the mic, good lone wolf characters. Do hope they sign him.

• Like 3

Heels & Faces are an archaic trope.

That's not all encompassing. But pro wrestling could be well served to dip it's toe in the real world more often. Was Punk really a heel at MITB 2011 in Chicago? Nope. To that audience he was the face. I don't see an issue with guys being real live three dimensional human beings instead of one dimensional characters. As far as audience participation and investment, to me at least, that's how you hook and engage people. Is it really that hard to keep a consistent character motivation while their moods ebb & flow from week to week / opponent to opponent?

Abadon is legit the weirdest looking person in wrestling. I mean that as a compliment, because wrestling.

All Japan basically had no faces or heels for like 20 years but much like the WWE making women's wresling a thing I look forward to hearing about how AEW invented this.

• Like 1

Dark is 1 hour 50 minutes this week. So, longer than many Dynamites in real terms (when you take out the adverts, like).

17 minutes ago, AxB said:

Dark is 1 hour 50 minutes this week. So, longer than many Dynamites in real terms (when you take out the adverts, like).

That would be most if not all Dynamites considering the American version we get on TNT is in the 1h43m to 1h46m range on DVR when you don't skip the PIP adverts but skip the full screen commericials.

3 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

That would be most if not all Dynamites considering the American version we get on TNT is in the 1h43m to 1h46m range on DVR when you don't skip the PIP adverts but skip the full screen commericials.

Yeah, some of them on Fite are exactly like that. But in the Live Audience days, commercial-free Dynamite on Fite was the full two hours (plus a minute or two of overrun).

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

All Japan basically had no faces or heels for like 20 years but much like the WWE making women's wresling a thing I look forward to hearing about how AEW invented this.

Please, WWE has been saying this shit for years too. They'll take credit for that as well.

Edited by Jiji
  • Haha 1