DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUL 2020

2 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

There are times where I wish they would have those long-form stories like they did in the past.  But those were different times and I at this point am very cool with what's essentially a sketch comedy show.

Well, the Hangman Page vs The Elite story is still going on in every couple of episodes. It’s not weekly that they flesh it out, but last week’s closing scene did further it a little bit. COVID-19 kind of ruined BTE’s big 2019/2020 story until everyone could get back together in-person to film things.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Craig H said:

FYI, there's a special 83 Weeks today with Tony and Eric having a conversation for about an hour or more. Pretty interesting stuff.

i'm about a half hour in and Tony can stop kissing Bischoff's ass at any point. 

It was really appropriate that Private Party were both corpsing while Matt explained that the Botching concept came from the internet.

I liked Dark this week. They really gave some of the guys time. And Cutler/ Avalon vs JE had some real heart in mouth moments. Marko Stunt will kick you right in the face.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Death From Above said:

I got into the fact they had a tag match between 4 guys with 0 combined wins. Poor, poor Pineapple Pete.

Dr. Luther's record was 2-3 this year.

Congrats to Serpentico! He joins Abadon as the second local talent to win a match in AEW!

I'm glad that they've continued the whole Serpentico is the only person that can control Luther angle, culminating with them teaming up (and winning!) Luther/Serpentico are definately now one of my boy* tag teams.

A look at my top three boy* tag teams:

1) Joey Janella & Sonny Kiss
2) Serpentico & Luther
3) Brandon Cutler & Peter Avalon

(*See OSW Review)

9 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

Dr. Luther's record was 2-3 this year.

Congrats to Serpentico! He joins Abadon as the second local talent to win a match in AEW!

I'm glad that they've continued the whole Serpentico is the only person that can control Luther angle, culminating with them teaming up (and winning!) Luther/Serpentico are definately now one of my boy* tag teams.

A look at my top three boy* tag teams:

1) Joey Janella & Sonny Kiss
2) Serpentico & Luther
3) Brandon Cutler & Peter Avalon

(*See OSW Review)

Abadon isn't a "local talent" anymore, she's signed. Serpentico hasn't gotten the "________ is All Elite" graphic yet, so he still counts.

Neither has Big Shotty Lee Johnson, but Meltzer said he was signed (when he was talking about QT Marshall staying away, he said his signed trainees were told to stay away as well, and mentioned Johnson and Anna Jay).

So, are the Dark Order supposed to be racists? Because they're all white guys, and last night 3, 4 and 5 were facing two black guys and a Latino. I mean, they're recruiting Colt Cabana so presumably they aren't Nazis, but... get Shawn Dean and Will Hobbs in the Dark Order instead of facing them and it might look a little less iffy.

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Neither has Big Shotty Lee Johnson, but Meltzer said he was signed (when he was talking about QT Marshall staying away, he said his signed trainees were told to stay away as well, and mentioned Johnson and Anna Jay).

So, are the Dark Order supposed to be racists? Because they're all white guys, and last night 3, 4 and 5 were facing two black guys and a Latino. I mean, they're recruiting Colt Cabana so presumably they aren't Nazis, but... get Shawn Dean and Will Hobbs in the Dark Order instead of facing them and it might look a little less iffy.

I never thought of it way and I'm honestly not sure if that was their intention.  I at least hope not.  But between that and who they've trying to recruit on BTE as well (white people) I can see why you would think that.

One main thing that points to probably not is if that was the case then they would only be wrestling non-white wrestlers.  And they have wrestled a bunch of white people this past year (see last week's Dynamite)  So I would chalk it up to an unfortunate coincidence more than anything.

• Like 1

Pretty sure it was minutes after her match that they tweeted that graphic out, but alright, I’ll give you that I suppose

Lee Johnson, for me anyway, isn’t signed until they give him a graphic (if he’s on-air talent - he’s always behind the scenes of the Shot of Brandi show so who knows what kind of contract he has, if any). I’m not some anti-Meltzer dude like some, but this is how AEW has done it from the beginning so it’s what I’m sticking with. ?

13 hours ago, Tim Evans said:

Aew bringing in ivelisse who was training with chaysen rance as recently as a month ago is certainly a choice. I get that they are desperate for female wrestlers but it's just not worth it.

If she lasts long enough for them bring in Tessa, just keeping a cam on backstage will be worth it.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Raziel said:

If she lasts long enough for them bring in Tessa, just keeping a cam on backstage will be worth it.

If you only work one day a week (2 max), you can go several months without seeing someone especially in the pandemic era.

27 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Thanks for this. It sounds like an actual deal has been made seeming as he's talking about progress and all that. INTERESTING. There were rumours of him going to meet with Syn Sophia and Cody further hinted at that near the end of last year. Hmmmm.

• Thanks 1

It's odd that Faye Jackson ('s cousin Tasha?) was at the last set of tapings and they didn't have her wrestle a match. She would have a lot to offer, even if they asked her to PG her routine up a bit. Although why you would want to see a PG version of Faye when the uncensored version isn't especially dirty, I don't know.

• Like 1