DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUL 2020

1 hour ago, Web Conn said:

I think Cardona has more name value than Ryder 

Cardona and Ryder are the same person.

Anyway, there's a title match on Dark!

Pineapple Pete & Brady Pierce vs Serpentico & Luther... they're really teasing the possibility of giving Suge an actual win. They aren't going to do it (not here at least), but they want us to believe.

Edited by AxB
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Web Conn said:

@AxB I know they are the same person. I’m saying I think Matt Cardona could become a bigger name than Zach Ryder.

Well, if AEW signs him, and if he's been a secret superworker all along, or he suddenly puts it together now he's in a position where his employer isn't determined to cut his legs out from under his legs every time he gets something going... maybe.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

@AxB I know they are the same person. I’m saying I think Matt Cardona could become a bigger name than Zach Ryder.

I’m with @AxB in that I don’t see how Cardona becomes a main eventer. Yes he got hugely over on his own in WWE, but even had they pushed him harder it wasn’t going to work for more than one or two ppv cycles. He’s never been the kind of worker that a Daniel Bryan, CM Punk, Kenny Omega, or even Cody is. Hell WWE has pushed Kevin Owens back to the mid card how many times, and KO is a million times better in ring than Cardona. 

But to continue the trend of me trying to say something nice about people I will say my favorite match of his (as Zach Ryder) was against Christian on ECW. Then again I’m a mark for Christian so that’s part of it.

In my opinion, AEW needs to stop hiring more guys and bringing more guys in when so many are already fighting to get development on TV. IMHO their roster is big enough for now during a global pandemic, no live fans era. 

End the hiring freeze when this pandemic is over or if there's a really must-have name that needs to get snatched up. I like Cardona, but he's not one of those guys.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can we all agree on Rusev? Rusev should show up, maybe not Wednesday maybe but Rusev I think is a big get. If they are gonna do a Horsemen gimmick with Spears and FTR then I say get EC3 to add to the group if not don’t sign him. I think there’s name value in Cardona maybe not as a main eventer but he could make a good Mid Card Gate Keeper role ala Razor Ramon. Cardona has what damn near 15 years experience wrestling on live weekly television he’d be good to have a round for the younger talent to learn from.

I’m pro-Cardona as a personality. Whether he is a right fit or not or whether people on here want to watch him or not are both good questions. If AEW wants someone that can get over on his own and get little kids to get their parents to buy merch, he’s a good guy for that. If we’re comparing good matches or work-rate with others like Kenny and Punk, he’s probably not going to come out ahead. I do however think he could (and this is a big if because you don’t know until you see it in action) excel in a similar way on presentation and gimmick like a Cody or a Moxley. OR not go over as well like how people view a Spears or as some view a Janela. 

@TheVileOne makes a good point on the roster being full enough. If someone is brought in it HAS to work. And you have to realize that if you have a big reveal during the pandemic, it’s not going to come across as big. But it is tough because this pandemic will probably be going on for quite a while. Some people on here feel they’re not doing enough game changing things during this time. Idk about that personally, but it is a fair assessment. 

Also, would Cardona going to AEW feel like Christian going to TNA? Not that being totally bad, but is there a limit to former WWE mid-card signings? Does that point even matter if the company is booked well? Where’s my water? I just had it in my hand and I don’t know where I set it.

@Web Conn, I like your point about Cardona’s experience. 

@Casey, I haven’t been paying attention to him on Twitch. Has he implied that? Interested in your thoughts.

@MavsFan77, killing it with the new Nice gimmick! 

Edit: Hey Casey, I was still typing when you replied.

Edited by OctopusCinema
  • Thanks 2

Just now, OctopusCinema said:

@Casey, I haven’t been paying attention to him on Twitch. Has he implied that? Interested in your thoughts.

I don't know, I don't do the whole Twitch thing. I just know that out of all the WWE firings from a few months ago, he's the one that's been the most quiet about wrestling. Cardona, Myers, EC3, Kanellis, Heath, Gallows, Anderson, etc. all openly talk about it and can't wait for that July 15/18th date, but Rusev is just content being on Twitch and interacting with people and telling some of his favorite road stories.

I'm inclined to believe that Cardona will show up in AEW only because he's been training at Flatbacks, AEW is in the same state as him and he's friends with Cody and a bunch of other AEW guys. But I could also see it not being in the cards right now, because they really hammer on the "AEW CONFIRMED" meme on the Major Wrestling Figure podcast.

I think I saw Ruru post a video on twitter from his twitch stream (Jesus) that he wouldn't tolerate abusive dickheads on his channel and in that li'l clip he answered a fan's question about his comeback by saying he does not have much interest in wrestling right now. Maybe he takes 6-12 months off. Maybe he finds something else to do period. From what we know, it does sound like WWE eats away at one's will to be a wrestler if you don't have the right mentality (and even then). I wouldn't blame him if he didn't want to wrestle anymore even though I think he has good potential to be a serious player in AEW and/or NJPW. 

AEW definitely doesn't need anymore projects on the men's side and doesn't have much room for projects on the women's side either (though there is always room for Faye Jackson). At this stage they should be only moving for people who can fill an important role right away or are finished products with something to give like Kingston and Dickinson. I still can't get over some of the ridiculous nepotism signings like Austin Gunn and Luther. Regarding Ryder, this isn't 2011. I don't think you're going to see the same sort of groundswell support for somebody like Ryder because he throws out allusions to the New Generation era and is a nice guy who really likes wrestling. We've been around indie darlings who are better wrestlers and grew up as fans for the best part of a decade now. That charm is no longer special. He's an affable seeming fellow though, so maybe he could get over in a midcard role with just his natural charisma and goofiness but I don't think he can really hang with the top of the card guys in either the storytelling or go-go-go movez sense. Maybe I'm wrong and he's brilliant but I haven't seen it in him to this point. Either way, I could definitely see Cody pushing for him to challenge for the TNT strap as a tryout of sorts like what they've done with Starks and hinted at with others. And Cody would go all out to make him look great.

• Like 1

I always thought Cardona had one big mid-card heel run in him. They teased it a bit with Mojo on the idea that the guy who worked hard and was getting passed by, but they never quite pulled the trigger. I think there could be some value in putting him with Jericho. You don't want anyone doing a worked shoot promo in 2020 but he could play up being sort of the first guy to really self-promote, to trailblaze the web-show, etc., and that none of them would be there without him. That sort of thing. I think it'd resonate with Jericho's act.

• Like 1

I would love to see Rusev in AEW, won't lie. I haven't watched much wrestling for years but almost every time I've seen him in ring I liked what I saw. But I would imagine some time away from the business isn't exactly the worst thing for him either.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

You do have totale it with a grain of salt when guys say they are a taking a break. Since they could also be kayfabing a surprise debut. 

Yeah but not everything is a work, either. This isn’t the 80s.

28 minutes ago, Jiji said:

I think I saw Ruru post a video on twitter from his twitch stream (Jesus) that he wouldn't tolerate abusive dickheads on his channel and in that li'l clip he answered a fan's question about his comeback by saying he does not have much interest in wrestling right now. Maybe he takes 6-12 months off. Maybe he finds something else to do period. From what we know, it does sound like WWE eats away at one's will to be a wrestler if you don't have the right mentality (and even then). I wouldn't blame him if he didn't want to wrestle anymore even though I think he has good potential to be a serious player in AEW and/or NJPW. 

AEW definitely doesn't need anymore projects on the men's side and doesn't have much room for projects on the women's side either (though there is always room for Faye Jackson). At this stage they should be only moving for people who can fill an important role right away or are finished products with something to give like Kingston and Dickinson. I still can't get over some of the ridiculous nepotism signings like Austin Gunn and Luther. Regarding Ryder, this isn't 2011. I don't think you're going to see the same sort of groundswell support for somebody like Ryder because he throws out allusions to the New Generation era and is a nice guy who really likes wrestling. We've been around indie darlings who are better wrestlers and grew up as fans for the best part of a decade now. That charm is no longer special. He's an affable seeming fellow though, so maybe he could get over in a midcard role with just his natural charisma and goofiness but I don't think he can really hang with the top of the card guys in either the storytelling or go-go-go movez sense. Maybe I'm wrong and he's brilliant but I haven't seen it in him to this point. Either way, I could definitely see Cody pushing for him to challenge for the TNT strap as a tryout of sorts like what they've done with Starks and hinted at with others. And Cody would go all out to make him look great.

He already has another gig lined up as the new Emperor of Bulgaria.

10 minutes ago, Casey said:

Yeah but not everything is a work, either. This isn’t the 80s.

I would add a break doesn't necessarily mean a year long sabbatical. It could be one, two, or three months. Anything that's not going on the road consistently like anyone with WWE (save for a few exceptions) would be required to do. If anyone says they're retired in wrestling and it's not after a serious injury or illness, now that is usually bullshit.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AxB said:

Cardona and Ryder are the same person.

Anyway, there's a title match on Dark!

Pineapple Pete & Brady Pierce vs Serpentico & Luther... they're really teasing the possibility of giving Suge an actual win. They aren't going to do it (not here at least), but they want us to believe.

God this another reason I prefer AEW over WWE. WWE thinks we are all too stupid to be able to tell one guy named Lance apart from the other. In this scenario, they'd probably change Pillman's name to Leonard Pillman or something equally stupid. 

Edited by BrianS81177
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2