DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUL 2020

Is Warhorse the other guy he mentions in passing about being all over his mentions? That would suck. The only two guys on the indies I think are ready to go for AEW and wouldn't be projects are Kingston and Dickinson. Both are significantly better than probably more than half of the roster, if not more. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Is Warhorse the other guy he mentions in passing about being all over his mentions? That would suck. The only two guys on the indies I think are ready to go for AEW and wouldn't be projects are Kingston and Dickinson. Both are significantly better than probably more than half of the roster, if not more. 

I have a feeling the other 1 is supposed to hint at the one guy they’ll never get. But Cody will troll on Twitter pretending they might, since after all Tony had no issues with trolling about two huge announcements last night that both crapped the bed (FTW belt, and Nyla’s manager). 

And of course the guy I’m referring to is CM Punk. Especially since the other day when Cody asked who people want to see him fight Punk tweeted a joke reply, then Tony had to jump in and try kissing Punk’s butt yet again. 

Do you remember when Tony Khan publicly reprimanded one of their social media people for delivering a shitty surprise (I believe this was around the time of Dynamite's debut)? They have done this a few times now on TV and he has only himself to blame. And I really enjoy the idea of the FTW title making a comeback.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

Do you remember when Tony Khan publicly reprimanded one of their social media people for delivering a shitty surprise (I believe this was around the time of Dynamite's debut)? They have done this a few times now on TV and he has only himself to blame. And I really enjoy the idea of the FTW title making a comeback.

Yeah I can’t remember what specifically they used as that surprise, but I do remember reading that he had a massive fit over it. 

And I don’t mind the FTW title if they’d brought it back more naturally (like the way they did just without Tony tweeting BS), but when your owner hypes a landscape changing announcement, and that’s what you deliver it looks silly. 

Now to be fair there’s many more instances of WWE overhyping stuff, but at least Vince McMahon never goes on social media plugging any of it, or doing something to open himself to criticism for hyping it the way Tony Kahn does. 

Like I’m not a Twitter user myself (but I do see a fair amount of tweets on here, and a Impact Wrestling site I frequent), but I decided earlier to look at Tony Kahn’s account. I loved last nights show, but damn he needs to chill. Hyping literally every match and segment like they’re the greatest ever isn’t what he needs to or should be doing. I doubt Triple H wastes his time with that nonsense.

Yeah, he's lost pretty much all credibility in terms of what is great or important. That's fine because I don't care too much but probably not the best thing for a promoter. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

I can't believe people are still being worked by promoters saying "step right up to see the amazing invisible woman in my carnival tent" in 2020 but here we are.

I wasn’t sucked in by it as I intended on watching AEW live, because I knew the main event outcome of NXT ahead of time. 

I was more trying to make the point that Tony really needs to stay off of Twitter, and if he gets called out by any Impact, NXT, or even WWE fans as being a troll that he needs to man up, and take it. Because he’s acting like some crazed fanboy, and not the owner of what he believes is the second biggest wrestling company in the world (which I’d assume we all agree belongs to New Japan and not AEW. I’ll give him third biggest though ??). 

Hell we have how many AEW super fans on here, and none of them were hyping the “announcements” with such hyperbole. Heck Casey even knew the spoilers, and he didn’t overhype any of the individual matches the way Tony did. 

So to go off of this comment I’d say he’s even worse than Dixie Carter already in that one specific area (he’s much smarter with $$$ though than she was, and hasn’t got his company kicked off of multiple networks so definitely advantage Tony).

1 hour ago, Godfrey said:

Dixie Carter used to promise the world and deliver very minor things, perhaps not the best role model for a promoter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Death From Above said:

I can't believe people are still being worked by promoters saying "step right up to see the amazing invisible woman in my carnival tent" in 2020 but here we are.

Cosign. Gotta say, we're less than a month maybe past The Greatest Match Ever, I mean promoters gonna promote. Can't think of a carny who won't carny to get eyes on the promotion/fans in the seats

• Thanks 1

Does Ray Loyd own the Glacier character? I know he uses it on the indies but that doesn’t necessarily mean he owns it. What I’m getting at is if Cody’s going to be champion for a while I’d like to see a couple wacky challenges like Glacier.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Web Conn said:

Does Ray Loyd own the Glacier character? I know he uses it on the indies but that doesn’t necessarily mean he owns it. What I’m getting at is if Cody’s going to be champion for a while I’d like to see a couple wacky challenges like Glacier.  

Hell did WCW own the Glacier character for that matter?

8 minutes ago, Casey said:

The announcement that Tony Khan reprimanded their social media crew over was the on-sale dates for upcoming Dynamite tapings.

Thanks for the reminder. I knew it was something that wasn’t major, but I couldn’t for the life of me remember what it was (then again having been out of work for over seven months with a concussion will do that to you).

4 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Ron did a great bit on the Studcast this week about wrestlers, including his grandfather working in the carnivals in the 1920s. 

12 minutes ago, MavsFan77 said:

Thanks for the reminder. I knew it was something that wasn’t major, but I couldn’t for the life of me remember what it was (then again having been out of work for over seven months with a concussion will do that to you).

I’m okay with them hyping up announcements that actually have to do with things inside the laudable AEW world, but when you do it for things in reality like on-sale dates (and revisiting places they’d already been to, if I remember right) then yeah, I’m not okay with that. I think the controversy at the time was, besides that it was just about tickets, that it wasn’t an announcement about a show in a market like NY or California.

Suge D is teasing Pineapple Pete vs Serpentico for the next Dark. Which implies it's on there, considering next week's Dark was taped last week and all. Possibly Faye Jackson also has a match there, considering her cousin ? was ringside for Fyter Fest.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Probably so, given Warhorse is known for ruling ass.

Its a little weird that Cody is pointing fingers at people going into business for themselves, when Suge did something similar when they had the video submissions for Spears’ partner, and again with the Pineapple Pete stuff first happened.

2 hours ago, Web Conn said:

Agreed, would love to see any legends challenge for the title. Hoping for New Jack since Tony Khan acknowledged Punk's tweet mentioning him. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

Agreed, would love to see any legends challenge for the title. Hoping for New Jack since Tony Khan acknowledged Punk's tweet mentioning him. 

New Jack would be unreal. Forgot weapons I wanna see Cody and New Jack hit each other with Dusty Elbows.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

Matt Cardona is a free agent on July 15th, I wonder if he’s gonna answer the challenge 

Since he’s really close with Cody I’m sure he will. But I don’t think he’s an upgrade over the current challengers they’re trotted out so far either. The only free agent (from the last round of wwe releases) that I think would be an upgrade is Rusev assuming he doesn’t go to Impact.