DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUL 2020

33 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Fyter Fest begins tonight. 

Wonder if there's a daughter of one of the people in charge that will show up? ?

I don't think Tony Khan has kids yet. Or Cody/Brandi.

• Like 2

Yeah, I thought so too and then I wondered if I forgot or missed out on Tully being part of the booking team. If he can book half as well as he can verbally demean Shawn Spears, he should definitely be on the team.

But it was WWE that was sending out "feelers" to see where Tessa was at, I thought.

Edited by Oyaji

43 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

But it was WWE that was sending out "feelers" to see where Tessa was at, I thought.

One of the general rumors behind Tessa is that she is another who leaks shit to Metlzer. If true it means the WWE feelers stuff could very likely be bs she has told him to drum up interest. Tessa to AEW has always felt a bit more likely with Tully being there, but AEW has also talked about trying to avoid toxic names in the past. The revelations about Tessa on a larger scale only came up just this year. Seems most likely both AEW and WWE would want to wait a bit before trying to sign her.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Eivion said:

One of the general rumors behind Tessa is that she is another who leaks shit to Metlzer. If true it means the WWE feelers stuff could very likely be bs she has told him to drum up interest. Tessa to AEW has always felt a bit more likely with Tully being there, but AEW has also talked about trying to avoid toxic names in the past. The revelations about Tessa on a larger scale only came up just this year. Seems most likely both AEW and WWE would want to wait a bit before trying to sign her.

Thing is...Dave (and Bryan to be fair) also has (have) WWE sources so I mean he could easily verify if she is bullshitting or not.

3 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Thing is...Dave (and Bryan to be fair) also has (have) WWE sources so I mean he could easily verify if she is bullshitting or not.

But would he bother seeing that he is such a big supporter? Keep on mind when Tessa terrorized Isla Dawn out of Stardom, Meltzer went with whatever bs story she fed him on Dawn starting fights with her and being hated by the roster. The roster seemingly had no problems with her and were basically confused when Dawn left.

Edited by Eivion

I was going to write a longer response but it was more tangential. 

Re: Tessa to WWE. Isn't the math sort of like this?

1. Is Charlotte such a priority that WWE would make bad HR decisions because of her?

2. Does Vince actually see money in a Charlotte/Tessa interaction/pairing/feud based on their families?

At this stage, I'm far more convinced about 1 than I am about 2. 

I don't see Tessa in AEW, no matter how desperate they are for women.   Still plenty of choices that won't cause headaches, and they have Nyla/Shida/Baker who you can really build around, plus maybe they can raid NWA some more.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alstein said:

I don't see Tessa in AEW, no matter how desperate they are for women.   Still plenty of choices that won't cause headaches, and they have Nyla/Shida/Baker who you can really build around, plus maybe they can raid NWA some more.

I don't know if NWA shut down or what they're doing considering Lagana.  But if she's able to get out of her contract then I need Thunder Rose in AEW immediately.  I had no idea how much she improved since Lucha Underground but holy crap is she great.  I would also love to see Marti Belle or Alison Kay in there if possible.

And Dark was fun for the Butcher and the Blade squash and the main event.  That squash had some wild moments and made me hope the jobbers were okay.  The main was super fun and is a key example of why I love Dark so much.  You follow the Avalon/Cutler story where they're both losers and hate each other.  Yet despite wanting to separate they have to face the Bucks.  And in the middle of their arguing mid-match they look like an actual team which led to them having a "Holy shit that worked!" look on their faces.  Just really well-done stuff and seeing them smiling while shaking hands is a great piece of story progression that doesn't need Dynamite to advance it.  There are times where a lot of the stuff on Dark doesn't land.  But man has it been fun to watch this play out.

• Like 5

@MavsFan77 I think this is a better place for the monthly AEW women's roster wishlist posts. Yeah, Thunder Rosa is definitely a good shout though she's probably somewhere between project and good-to-great worker who can help others grow. I'd pay Kairi all of the moneys because I think she's a top 5 perhaps top 3 women's wrestler right now. Still would have issues with talking segments, which AEW has done a great job of working around so far. The two women you mentioned, Storm and KLR, are also great options but under WWE contracts. Mayu probably ain't leaving Stardom any time soon, neither are Kyona or any of their other top wrestlers. So there really isn't a panacea other than alleged racist asshole, Tessa Blanchard. Which brings me to this (it made me laugh last night):

That meme gets me every time.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

@MavsFan77 I think this is a better place for the monthly AEW women's roster wishlist posts. Yeah, Thunder Rosa is definitely a good shout though she's probably somewhere between project and good-to-great worker who can help others grow. I'd pay Kairi all of the moneys because I think she's a top 5 perhaps top 3 women's wrestler right now. Still would have issues with talking segments, which AEW has done a great job of working around so far. The two women you mentioned, Storm and KLR, are also great options but under WWE contracts. Mayu probably ain't leaving Stardom any time soon, neither are Kyona or any of their other top wrestlers. So there really isn't a panacea other than alleged racist asshole, Tessa Blanchard. Which brings me to this (it made me laugh last night):

That meme gets me every time.

This definitely seems like a better place to have our discussion, and honestly I’d forgot it was in the Dynamite thread so that’s on me. Thank you for moving it here.

I’m 100% with you on Kairi. The only hole I see in her game is promos, but as you pointed out AEW knows how to make that work. She’d be the best worker they could sign right now regardless of gender (if her deal is up obviously). 

With New Japan owning Stardom I agree that it’s extremely unlikely any of their top talents leave for awhile (if ever). 

By the way that tweet is one of the better ones I’ve seen recently. So thanks for sharing that too.

I know on a certain Impact Wrestling site I frequent that most of the posters are saying F Deonna, because she’s been pro AEW in recent media interviews, and is friends with Brit, but I don’t think they can afford to lose her already either. They’ve invested so much time in her, and losing her to AEW would be a large blow. But if AEW can get her I don’t see why they shouldn’t bring her in either. 

if Kairi were to leave WWE, its most likely she goes back to Stardom. Her husband is in Japan. She talks to Rossy Ogawa regularly. And Bushiroad mentioned wanting to get both her and Io back last year so there are already seemingly plans in place to makes offers when she is free.

Yeah, I agree a return to Stardom is the likeliest outcome for her. It still doesn't mean AEW shouldn't pull out all of the stops or try to sign her to a part-time deal allowing her to work both if she's not too against the travel.

I'm guessing somebody like Arisa Nakajima is also married to Seadlinnng, right? Would she ever leave or is she too tight with Nanae? She's one of the better women from the non-Stardom promotions alongside Chihiro and Iroha from the bits I've seen (Satomura goes without saying but she likely has ties to WWE still and won't leave Sendai Girls). They also likely have Riho and Sakazaki coming back when border restrictions ease. 

Edited by Oyaji

If Hulk and Linda Hogan are banned, Tessa should be banned. She’s talented but not enough to be worth the bad PR for AEW. Then again, Hager is still there so who knows what the thinking is. And isn’t she stuck in Mexico still?

30 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Yeah, I agree a return to Stardom is the likeliest outcome for her. It still doesn't mean AEW shouldn't pull out all of the stops or try to sign her to a part-time deal allowing her to work both if she's not too against the travel.

I'm guessing somebody like Arisa Nakajima is also married to Seadlinnng, right? Would she ever leave or is she too tight with Nanae? She's one of the better women from the non-Stardom promotions alongside Chihiro and Iroha from the bits I've seen (Satomura goes without saying but she likely has ties to WWE still and won't leave Sendai Girls). They also likely have Riho and Sakazaki coming back when border restrictions ease. 

Would Iroha come to the USA or is she more comfortable basically being Chigusa's surrogate daughter?

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

I dunno. AEW just had the opportunity to land Purrazzo and didn't for whatever reason. 

Emphasis mine.

... I want to get back to the wrestler I was before NXT, and I want to find myself again and find happiness and all of the things that as a performer I lacked when I was competing in NXT. I want to do that before I go somewhere that's as mainstream as AEW that has the critics of AEW. I don't want to go there and be exploring myself and kind of fall into the same role that I fell in in NXT. And luckily Impact is a place that understands who I am, is totally on board with what they think I can do and are willing to give me the time to the character development that I need.

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2020/06/deonna-purrazzo-on-if-she-had-talks-with-aew-after-wwe-nxt-671810/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2