DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2020 - SUMMER CAMP!

Dolfan in NYC

More Phillies on the COVID list, including Aaron Nola and Adam Haseley. Added to the earlier folks, this leaves them without their number 1 starter, their closer, their second baseman and their centerfielder.

Edit: and now they’re saying that they haven’t been added to the list yet, but that they’re being kept away to follow the COVID protocols, so perhaps they’re waiting for a positive test first.

Edited by Hamhock

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

And Giancarlo Stanton just drilled Masahiro Tanaka in the head with a line drive. 

And it was heinous. Right back through the box 60 feet, and the fucking thing had to get 60 feet of elevation off Tanaka's head, and it landed right on the fringe of the grass by the dirt track just to the plate side of the 3B dugout. So maybe 30 or 40 feet behind the plate? Bad news. I hope he's okay. The impact sounded wholly un-fun. 

56 minutes ago, grilledcheese said:

And it was heinous. Right back through the box 60 feet, and the fucking thing had to get 60 feet of elevation off Tanaka's head, and it landed right on the fringe of the grass by the dirt track just to the plate side of the 3B dugout. So maybe 30 or 40 feet behind the plate? Bad news. I hope he's okay. The impact sounded wholly un-fun. 

It’s actually a good thing that it reflected like that. If the ball stopped dead it would have been a much much worse sign.

2 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

Felix Hernandez has opted out of the 2020 season as well

With the way he has pitched the last few seasons, he is doing Atlanta a favor

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SirFozzie said:

Freddie Freeman tested positive for COVID, while not in the hospital says he feels like he's been run over by a ton of bricks. 

I'm thinking that in the next couple weeks we'll find out no season is "possible"

Has he tried yelling "Captain Marvel?"

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

No Kenley Jansen or AJ Pollock in camp in LA yet. I never expected to see either one. Jansen with the ongoing heart troubles has the ability to sit out and get paid and accrue service time, and if I were in his spot, that's the route I would take.

Pollock has a super new baby that was born hella preemie and has health issues that come with that. I saw a picture of he and her, and she is mad small and still on nasal oxygen. Again, in the same spot, I stay home.

I am really looking forward to the upcoming cancellation of this season.

Just now, Hamhock said:

The Nats called off their workouts for today, because they still haven’t received their test results from Friday.

And Mike Rizzo flat out called out MLB for the lag in testing

I am assuming MLB will use the excuse of a Holiday weekend but this isn't the first time that it has taken a club forever to get their results

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

And Mike Rizzo flat out called out MLB for the lag in testing

I am assuming MLB will use the excuse of a Holiday weekend but this isn't the first time that it has taken a club forever to get their results

Indeed - the A’s didn’t even have their tests sent to the lab until this morning. Not a good effort thus far.

Edit: and the Astros also just canceled their workout today for the same reasons as the Nationals.

Edited by Hamhock

Apparently the testers didn’t even show up to give the Angels their tests so the players just did them themselves (I’m sure those were sanitary)

One guess...

Amazing that the owners couldn't even bother to wait for the season to begin before they stopped caring about players' health.  

I'm guessing we're about 2 weeks away from a strike. 

• Like 2

With the short schedule and unknown variable of the virus, it's a completely crazy year, and therefore no front office/manager should be on the hot seat. If your team wins the World Series, it's "look at all the hardship these guys battled through this year; this win is even more special". For the other 29 teams, it's "Hey, this year was absolutely nuts, ehhh, whaddaya gonna do, you know? *shrug*" Pressure’s off. Develop young talent, go for broke, just stay healthy and alive.

Edited by Hamhock