DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2020 - SUMMER CAMP!

Dolfan in NYC

I've been wanting a new baseball season badly.  I hope to God they get this right.  

Camps open today, regular season starts in about 4 weeks.

For now baseball is back.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Only 15 years to go for the Metropolitans...  Happy Bobby Bonilla Day

https://www.12up.com/posts/braves-have-their-own-bobby-bonilla-contract-but-it-s-arguably-even-worse-01deq541f29b

How much longer before we start saying Happy Chris Davis day instead?

Edited by BrianS81177

Rob Manfred - because he is an idiot - went on Dan Patrick's show yesterday and said "Oh we where never gonna play more than 60 games no matter how negotiations went"

Why you want to give the MLBPA free evidence for when they file their grievance is beyond me... well outside of returning to the "he is an idiot point"

• Thanks 3

So...based on where you hear it from, Jose Quintana nearly cut off his thumb on his pitching hand while...washing dishes. Severed his nerve and everything. He got the nerve "repaired" and they expect him to resume throwing in 2 weeks, but that sounds incredibly optimistic. I'm going to go out on a limb and say he doesn't throw for many more weeks than that.

1 hour ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Mike Trout still not comfortable with the baby on the way, says he's playing it by ear, and questions why guys get to leave their hotel room on the road. He was seen wearing a mask during base running drills. Coolcoolcool.

I’m glad to see him taking a stand as opposed to the top level NBA players bending over backwards to either not speak out, or just go along with their nonsense. 

Especially after all the talk before now about Trout being quiet, and not using his voice. 

And I’m in agreement with you that baseball definitely isn’t necessary at this point (and wouldn’t be again until a vaccine comes out).

MLB and MLBPA released the results of the first round of testing

3,185 total people tested

31 players and 7 staff tested positive (19 out of the 30 teams had at least one positive)

Roughly 1.2%

Not 100% complete yet as for some reason Oakland's testing is not yet complete so they aren't included in this

Freddie Freeman was one of four Braves who tested positive

The Padres Tommy Phan is another positive test

Pham tested positive before entering for Camp

Freeman, on the other hand, tested negative then started working out and tested positive. Two of the other Braves are asymptomatic 

Oh and the Braves 1st Base Coach Eric Young Sr has decided to opt out of the season

Hopefully he did so before arriving at camp but as you can see by the Atlanta positives - why this can be such a bad bad idea

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Oh and the Braves 1st Base Coach Eric Young Sr has decided to opt out of the season

Hopefully he did so before arriving at camp but as you can see by the Atlanta positives - why this can be such a bad bad idea

Isn’t he the one that played for the Rockies? The name definitely seems familiar. 

And the fact they’ve not just cancelled the season seems like a bad idea. How many of the teams that have to play both the Mets and Yankees can’t even travel to NY without a 14 day quarantine? And the same for the NY teams when they go on the road. Let’s see:

Miami Marlins

Tampa Bay Rays

Atlanta Braves

So three at the moment, but that’s still more than what baseball should be risking (by three as well). 

• Like 1

Most pro sports teams are getting an exemption to travel hence why Toronto is allowed to play their games in Canada despite the mandatory quarantine if coming from the US

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Most pro sports teams are getting an exemption to travel hence why Toronto is allowed to play their games in Canada despite the mandatory quarantine if coming from the US

And this is where I take issue with my states wonderful Governor Cuomo. No athletes should be given an exemption if regular citizens aren’t. Sports aren’t any more necessary than family members traveling to see sick loved ones, and I guarantee they’d make any of us quarantine if we had a sick family member (and by sick I mean even non COVID related illnesses) in one of the states they’re restricting travel to.

• Like 1