DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

A little backstory. Erick Stevens (probably got drunk and) tweeted something about how wrestlers with goofy gimmicks were less legit than wrestlers doing 'straight wrestler' gimmicks, and indie wrestling twitter all piled on him. Yes, Mad Kurt did OK Boomer him. And then, this:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, RolandTHTG said:

It'll be a 4 hour long mini movie. The boat hits an iceberg. The roster rush for the lifeboats. People pulling Billy Zane style heel turns all over the place. Vince goes down with the ship eating a steak wrap. 

"God damn you pussies act like you can't swim! Now where's my personal floatation device? BRRRRUUUCE!"

• Haha 4

39 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

"God damn you pussies act like you can't swim! Now where's my personal floatation device? BRRRRUUUCE!"

“Heck of a sandcastle you got there, [Redacted Vince-ism].”

Edited by Octopus
Woof.

I think doing a show from a Beach or Cruiseship like one of those Spring Break Nitros or early 90's Bash at the Beach could be fun. At least it would be visually different than the performance center which I thin we are all sick of

3 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

It'll be a 4 hour long mini movie. The boat hits an iceberg. The roster rush for the lifeboats. People pulling Billy Zane style heel turns all over the place. Vince goes down with the ship eating a steak wrap. 

At the end, the NWO and DX float by on a massive piece of wood and Seth asks if there's room for him, but is told no so he freezes and drowns despite the fact that there's more than enough space.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

7 hours ago, AxB said:

A little backstory. Erick Stevens (probably got drunk and) tweeted something about how wrestlers with goofy gimmicks were less legit than wrestlers doing 'straight wrestler' gimmicks, and indie wrestling twitter all piled on him. Yes, Mad Kurt did OK Boomer him. And then, this:

to add to it, Erick also has had tweets in the past where he's spoken extremely negative of Davey. But then again, who hasn''t?

7 minutes ago, Pete said:

Thank you very, very much.  And I sure as shit bookmarked it this time around because holy moly does this still deliver and then some.

Wait, it's been four years since this happened?  Holy crap I thought it was maybe two or so years ago.  Man, where in the hell did the time go?

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I knew I should have bookmarked that damn gif thread that was pages of reactions to that Davey one.  Mah gawd the horror...

1 hour ago, Pete said:

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Thank you very, very much.  And I sure as shit bookmarked it this time around because holy moly does this still deliver and then some.

Wait, it's been four years since this happened?  Holy crap I thought it was maybe two or so years ago.  Man, where in the hell did the time go?

I first joined DVDVR MB in September 2005 to the present day. It's still one of my favourite things here. Put a smile on my face looking back it all over again now. Thank you @NikoBaltimore, @Pete and the contributors to it.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

I'm fairly sure the "Davey and Eddie's eternal Suplexes mixtape" gif had at least one or two go-arounds here before the epic reactions 2016 thread. The match itself was in like 2012 or 13, wasn't it?

21 hours ago, D.Z said:

WWE is considering doing SummerSlam outdoors. Either on a beach or a boat.

Club la Vela or we riot.

12 hours ago, Six String Orchestra said:

dd4b5c783ccfb5bb210698107f2f4c84.gif

This is all I think of when I hear Davey Richards.

This has been replaced with them getting a tryout on NXT and blowing it when he refused to go home when told to.

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

The performance center DOES pretty much suck visually..   AEW's place looks so much better.  I get why WWE produces their shows from there obviously but at least for SummerSlam a change would be welcomed.  

The PC sucks because they try to make it look like their standard setup rather than do something new or interesting with it. They’ve got seven hours of “live TV” each week, so they should try to differentiate each show more. 

We always bring up Steamboat's real name, Richard Blood, as an example of a great real name for wrestling. I just found out re-reading Gary Hart's book again that Gino Hernandez's real name was Charles Wolf! Charlie Wolf would have been a killer babyface name.

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

The performance center DOES pretty much suck visually..   AEW's place looks so much better.  I get why WWE produces their shows from there obviously but at least for SummerSlam a change would be welcomed.  

1 hour ago, JonnyLaw said:

The PC sucks because they try to make it look like their standard setup rather than do something new or interesting with it. They’ve got seven hours of “live TV” each week, so they should try to differentiate each show more. 

I would probably prefer if AEW shot these current shows like they shot the January 1 episode of Dynamite at Daily's Place with the logo in full view of the camera and only showing a limited amount of the seating areas. That was a cool, intimate setup. Was that a separate area of the venue they cannot use anymore? Or they trying to social distance and you could only fit a certain # of talent in the seats if you did it that way? 

33 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I would probably prefer if AEW shot these current shows like they shot the January 1 episode of Dynamite at Daily's Place with the logo in full view of the camera and only showing a limited amount of the seating areas. That was a cool, intimate setup. Was that a separate area of the venue they cannot use anymore? Or they trying to social distance and you could only fit a certain # of talent in the seats if you did it that way? 

Same venue, different camera angle and stage setup.  If you Google image search "AEW Daily's Place" you'll see it.    When they have crowds, the stage has seating on it, the Daily's logo is to the left, and the wrestler entrance tunnel is in between.  With no crowds, they built out a big entrance on the stage and shifted the hard cam to focus on that instead so it's a better visual.

Edited by Technico Support

17 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Same venue, different camera angle and stage setup.  If you Google image search "AEW Daily's Place" you'll see it.    When they have crowds, the stage has seating on it, the Daily's logo is to the left, and the wrestler entrance tunnel is in between.  With no crowds, they built out a big entrance on the stage and shifted the hard cam to focus on that instead so it's a better visual.

Now that they essentially have designated, created crowds, could they not put those people where the hard camera would be pointed at instead of focusing on a rather large venue? They basically got rid of one problem and created another.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Now that they essentially have designated, created crowds, could they not put those people where the hard camera would be pointed at instead of focusing on a rather large venue? They basically got rid of one problem and created another.

I like the entrance being opposite the hard cam but I agree they need to tighten things up and try to avoid showing all the empty seats.  I LOL'd last week when Cody posed for the hard cam and they inexplicably switched to a shot from behind him, showing him posing and trying to rile up a bunch of empty seats.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1