DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

51 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

AEW will probably get smashed next week without Moxley there to be honest.

I love how Meltzer has to frame the narrative weekly to prop up AEW. Last week it was oh NXT has the higher lead in (which doesn’t mean jack), this week it’s oh AEW won the key demo. Who gives an F? Seriously. They lost by 54,000 viewers, and I guarantee USA (as they should be) is looking at the final number, and being happy with NXT. Clearly they’re hitting their stride now, and that shouldn’t be downplayed just to prop up Dave’s buddies, and the incredibly tedious match Cody partook in last night. 

3 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

The network gives roughly zero shit about any number except the 18-49 demo. Because advertisers give negative shits about them.

Then why did USA cancel The Purge? Of their original programs it did the second highest demo rating out of 12 shows last season. Clearly they’re looking (as they should be) at final numbers, and not just 18-49. I get advertisers pay more if you do well in that demo, but if nobody else is watching the show you’ll still get cancelled. And while I’m a fan of AEW I’d venture a guess that if they fall down to 550,000 or fewer viewers weekly that TNT would consider pulling the plug on them. As is they’re doing worse than every other TNT original program in the key demo (way lower than Animal Kingdom and Snowpiercer), but hey Dave says they’re doing great so they must be right? 

38 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Here's Jericho declaring victory. Also: Charge your phone, Chris.

Ah brings me back to the good ol' days when WCW and WWF would fight over the ratings!  I'm so glad Twitter wasn't around then: 

"Last night WWF felt the bang...in the ratings war!"

"Stone Cold says WWF won in the all important 18-39 demographic which is the most important demographic in regards to corporate sponsorship and advertising and that's the all-important financial bottom line cuz Stone Cold said so!"

• Haha 10

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

Is there anywhere that shows what kind of ratings Dynamite draws on TSN?

Numeris shows the top 30 shows in Canada for the week, and Dynamite did not crack the top 30 (lower level of the top 30 was just over 500k viewers) for the last week reported. I tracked down a story saying they weren't cracking the top 10 back in January, which meant under 75,000 viewers one week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MavsFan77 said:

Then why did USA cancel The Purge? Of their original programs it did the second highest demo rating out of 12 shows last season. Clearly they’re looking (as they should be) at final numbers, and not just 18-49. I get advertisers pay more if you do well in that demo, but if nobody else is watching the show you’ll still get cancelled. And while I’m a fan of AEW I’d venture a guess that if they fall down to 550,000 or fewer viewers weekly that TNT would consider pulling the plug on them. As is they’re doing worse than every other TNT original program in the key demo (way lower than Animal Kingdom and Snowpiercer), but hey Dave says they’re doing great so they must be right? 

Kind of getting off into the weeds here:  Hour-long scripted dramas are expensive to produce, and USA has decided they don’t really want to be in that business anymore.  They cancelled all but two of their ongoing dramas (Queen of the South and The Sinner, their two longest running shows and both will probably finish up with their next season), The Purge included.  It was more of a reallocation of resources/change in programming philosophy than a ratings decision.

[/TV pedantry]

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

We needed Randy Savage on Twitter.

"Oh yeah, feel the madness! Monday Nitro is the cream of the crop with the 18 to 49 demographic! Dig it!"

The really fun one would be Hulk Hogan claiming that 30 trillion people turned in to watch WCW.

• Haha 5

10 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

"Oh yeah, feel the madness! Monday Nitro is the cream of the crop with the 18 to 49 demographic! Dig it!"

The really fun one would be Hulk Hogan claiming that 30 trillion people turned in to watch WCW.

Or Stevie Ray going the other way "Suckas gots to know, we had 115 fruit booties watching Thunder last night but that number doesn't include the yaks!"

• Haha 9

3 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

1998 DX getting people to send tweets of them flashing.. ECW trending constantly in 1997 despite not having an audience in most of the nation.

I was going to bring this up earlier but I forgot: Based on what Tory Lanez and Lil Boosie can get girls across the world to do on IG Live w/ half of the popularity of DX during the MNW, I'm pretty sure they (along with the NWO) would get banned fairly quickly on every platform. This would mean present day Paul Levesque would not be on Twitter.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Haha 1