Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board
Dolfan in NYC

JULY 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Recommended Posts

I'm ashamed of all of you for ignoring the ultimate eternal old man of wrestling. 

latest?cb=20111202144552

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

So who are the anti-Arn/Tentas? Batista being 37 or so when he broke though comes to mind. 

AJ Styles, innit? Had to grow a beard to stop people repeatedly rebooting him as an up and coming hungry tiger, despite being over 30 years of age and a multiple time World Champion.

  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's funny to me that AJ Styles is 3 years older than Randy Orton.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

I always preferred Wins Above Brad Armstrong (WABA). 

So who are the anti-Arn/Tentas? Batista being 37 or so when he broke though comes to mind. 

Shane Douglas always looked younger than being his late 20s/early 30s in the earlier days of his ECW run. I always forget he was an actual teacher at one point. Three or four years later though, after the drugs and whatnot, it wasn't the case. I think part of the reason the rabid female support (at least compared to the territory days) for wrestling disappeared in a lot of cases is a good portion of these guys looked like hell on television. People talk about the steroid abuse, but go back and look at Shawn Michaels on some of those WWF shows anytime in mid 95 on. Good lord, dude. At least the movie stars in the golden age era knew how to hide their shit. 

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Id say TK and Mayor McCheese are just in that demographic of the sportswriters who idolize boxing and either see mma as competition to boxing or just cant get past the “bare knuckle fighting in a cage” stigma. 

Meanwhile, you have folks in the Simmons/Lebatard demographic (which would include me) who were in their 20s when MMA started and that stigma isnt as strong. And Both were also wrestling fans growing up, fwiw.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

At least the movie stars in the golden era knew how to hide their shit. 

William Holden went from his 30s to his 60s in a year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bobby Heenan looked literally the same age for about 30 years. He was a guy that for a very long time it was real hard to guess what his actual age was.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Starting to watch Regal/Larry Z from Slamboree '94 (it's on Dailymotion but cut in between parts 2 and 3) I got the best shot. The camera starts closed in on a crowd shot of a sign reading "WCW RULES WWF SUCKS"... then pans back to reveal in the foreground, WWF Superfan Vladimir looking directly at the camera chanting "USA" for Zybysko 😂

Edited by Curt McGirt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

William Holden went from his 30s to his 60s in a year.

The thing is Shawn Michaels would look perfectly fine one show and then on another show looking like Jack Lanza just got him out of a crack house, into a taxi to the arena, put him in the nearest shower to wake him up, and then into a makeup chair (to be fair, I'm pretty sure this is the story of Jake's 96 run). If a guy ages, he ain't aging in reverse the next time he shows up. People will accept that. You cannot be a heartthrob and then show apparent signs of substance abuse. Imagine if David Von Erich had lived and showed up looking strung out on WCCW television slurring his words. That would kill Dallas before Fritz did.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am in the camp that is kind of baffled by just how much rope Shawn got. For a guy that only seemed to headline periods where business was down for a very long time, he got away with so much bullshit.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

49 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I feel like Spears is the right answer because he let TK stun him after the show and since then he's had the Tully face thing among other stuff.

I don't know if Spears is good enough to be the Disco of the current war. Spears seems more like the Sean Waltman/Jeff Jarrett of the war, in the "Yes, we know that the second we release you, you intend to jump ship to the other promotion, but honestly, we don't really give a shit if you go there. You want to be on their show? Run to them. Go be their problem now." 

At least Disco could be slightly higher at something like, say, The Librarians for "comedy act that isn't that good."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait...wait..wait

We were talking about the Miz having his own TV show when they are like five house/property related shows in the top 15-20 shows for the night. A bunch of people across the nation are in the process of getting evicted. I don't think this means people are going to be buying up and renting property like crazy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

 

I don't know if Spears is good enough to be the Disco of the current war. Spears seems more like the Sean Waltman/Jeff Jarrett of the war, in the "Yes, we know that the second we release you, you intend to jump ship to the other promotion, but honestly, we don't really give a shit if you go there. You want to be on their show? Run to them. Go be their problem now." 

At least Disco could be slightly higher at something like, say, The Librarians for "comedy act that isn't that good."

 

I was going to say Avalon but his job is to be a jobber. There is no expectation other than that.

Waltman and Jarrett at least tangentially got to be always involved in the title picture (for multiple belts) and the upper midcard and hell sometimes the main event. Hell, Waltman got to be part of the best version of the NWO and DX. Spears ain't that.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Is TK saying that...


a7563834-c817-4300-890f-e5977246a8e9_scr

Those rating systems are flawed?

Tony needs to stop talking.  He's right, but Jesus that first tweet was bad, that followup tweet does not make him look confident at all.  The cool kids like you.  You aren't cool when you feel the need to tell people that.

  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Shane Douglas always looked younger than being his late 20s/early 30s in the earlier days of his ECW run. I always forget he was an actual teacher at one point. Three or four years later though, after the drugs and whatnot, it wasn't the case. I think part of the reason the rabid female support (at least compared to the territory days) for wrestling disappeared in a lot of cases is a good portion of these guys looked like hell on television. People talk about the steroid abuse, but go back and look at Shawn Michaels on some of those WWF shows anytime in mid 95 on. Good lord, dude. At least the movie stars in the golden age era knew how to hide their shit. 

yeah Shane Douglas was 19 for 19 years and then suddenly turned 50

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I was going to say Avalon but his job is to be a jobber. There is no expectation other than that.

Waltman and Jarrett at least tangentially got to be always involved in the title picture (for multiple belts) and the upper midcard and hell sometimes the main event. Hell, Waltman got to be part of the best version of the NWO and DX. Spears ain't that.

Fair, but that helps Avalon's case, since Disco's job was always also to be a jobber, and there was no expectation other than that. Maybe a couple times he got a slight push and had something to do in those rare times he exceeded expectations, but ultimately Disco was just a jobber and never exactly a big star in the company either.

By contrast, Waltman and Jarrett had been in the title picture, but I'd say the more essential part was "these guys were such net-negatives on the show, and had so much negative-WAR (for the analytic claim), that both WWF and WCW willingly let this guy walk away to the rival promotion in the midst of the war without problem" that matches them to Spears. Hell, Waltman/Jarrett's level even makes Spears more pathetic in the "he was a genuine steal from WWE into a promotion as new as AEW, and all it bought him was one uppercard match before falling to his normal 'generic opening match guy" thing. Hell, you may have to go as far down as Barry Horowitz to get a guy that matches Spears who jumped in the MNWs with "they were a jobber in WWF, they're a jobber in the new promotion. Hell, they may be WORSE OFF in the new promotion- at least in WWE they had a fun catchphrase to have a semblance of a crowd reaction."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

Tony needs to stop talking.  He's right, but Jesus that first tweet was bad, that followup tweet does not make him look confident at all.  The cool kids like you.  You aren't cool when you feel the need to tell people that.

Correct. I know Tony has a history of being a very online smark, but he's somebody now. He shouldn't be wading into the shit like he's still a limp-dicked know-nothing mark like yours truly. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Guy fuckin' Fieri, man

He’s.such a quietly good dude that I’m always happy to see he’s still doing well.  Just this year he started a fund for out of work restaurant employees struggling because of the covid and raised of money for them.  Someone said Fieri and Keanu Reeves were the two people in the early 2010s that we decided to make fun of for no reason only to realize in late 2010s that they were both awesome.  

  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

Fair, but that helps Avalon's case, since Disco's job was always also to be a jobber, and there was no expectation other than that. Maybe a couple times he got a slight push and had something to do in those rare times he exceeded expectations, but ultimately Disco was just a jobber and never exactly a big star in the company either.

By contrast, Waltman and Jarrett had been in the title picture, but I'd say the more essential part was "these guys were such net-negatives on the show, and had so much negative-WAR (for the analytic claim), that both WWF and WCW willingly let this guy walk away to the rival promotion in the midst of the war without problem" that matches them to Spears. Hell, Waltman/Jarrett's level even makes Spears more pathetic in the "he was a genuine steal from WWE into a promotion as new as AEW, and all it bought him was one uppercard match before falling to his normal 'generic opening match guy" thing. Hell, you may have to go as far down as Barry Horowitz to get a guy that matches Spears who jumped in the MNWs with "they were a jobber in WWF, they're a jobber in the new promotion. Hell, they may be WORSE OFF in the new promotion- at least in WWE they had a fun catchphrase to have a semblance of a crowd reaction."

I think there is a difference being a jobber and then the JTTS (jobber to the stars) like Disco who will beat your TV/cruiser/US/Euro/IC etc people just under him who never really had a chance at holding the belt and even get a transitional championship run. As much as I didn't care for Jarrett a lot of the time, the reason he got to bounce back and forth is they WANTED this fucker to be a star or die trying. He was also blessed enough to be Jerry Jarrett's son who grew up in the business and with all the necessary connections with enough old fogies around to make it possible for him to get pushes. Maybe someone could correct me on this, IIRC, Jarrett wouldn't have had that last WCW run had Jim Ross knew his contract had expired. So they wanted to keep Jeff. So that automatically eliminates Jeff Jarrett. With Waltman, I think he was always going to be a utility guy. He ended up being a utility guy who overachieved primarily because during the MNW they needed a bunch of utility guys (although I've always argued the big stars subsidized the smaller ones) and in key moments/angles/storylines. 

Disco always found himself in a weird grey area because once WCW turned the tide in 95, Eric pretty much phased down the traditional tag team and mid card titles. As time passed, those belts were more tools (though I'm not saying they weren't always tools) to get from point A to D as smoothly as possible. They weren't anymore long ass Steven Regal or Steve Austin runs where dudes would hold a mid card title for a year and a half. A dude would win it on Nitro and lose it two weeks later at a PPV and then win another title a PPV later only to lose it on some random Nitro three weeks after that. It was wild how they prostituted those belts. Therefore, Disco who normally would have been just a jobber exclusively on Saturday Night/Main Event/Worldwide/Pro ended up being the designated punching bag because you didn't want to ruin the other guys or humiliate them. So they had to give him an occasionally boost just so they can bring him back down. I think when he first got on TV, he was over just on the dancing alone and then the WCW brass looked at him and said he was the right guy for the job. 

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jericho's tweets on ratings get cringier each week.

Both shows are losing to this goof:

5d2f995f36e03c0dd9570e06?width=1100&form

So yeah...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have ZERO idea where to post this but it's fucking hilarious.

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yoko didn't even miss a beat

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...