DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

On 7/29/2020 at 5:07 AM, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Also just seeing this stuff makes me eye it cynically. Like I wouldn’t be surprised if they are thinking deep down about not bothering with fans anymore, in the same way grocery stores are doing away with self checkout lanes.

They are absolutely not thinking about doing away with fan attendance. 

6 hours ago, Infinit said:

RE: Excalibur 

I'd like to think I'm a pretty socially conscious person. That being said, am I the only person that thinks this is much ado about nothing because he was a character saying a line in an angle at a wrestling show and not in real life? 

Do you feel the same way about DX wearing blackface? 

Well, getting rid of fans is one way to stop the whole problem of the fans reacting the wrong way and booing the top face all the time.

Obviously booking the babyface in such a way that the fans actually want to cheer for them is another way to do that, but I think that ship has sailed. 

8 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I wonder how much money WWE snagged off those PPP loans that were supposed to go to small businesses...

Surprsingly, WWE didn't take any PPP loans.  Anthem/Impact were the only wrestling company to do so.

2 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

Do you feel the same way about DX wearing blackface? 

I thought that skit was in poor taste. It was a bad decision for it to make the air. Was it a Russo idea? Or has it been told anywhere that the skit came from the DX members themselves?

4 hours ago, Jiji said:

Watching the first Liger/Sano match and the Sumo Hall crowd is INTO THIS and the opening chain wrestling is crisp as hell. This is the match with the insane inside to outside suplex from the apron on Sano, followed by a barely in control tope suicida, and finished with Liger hitting a rolling senton from the top to the floor on a downed Sano. This... THIS is the Sano vs. Liger I remember and love. Just wild stuff with extra juice on everything. Is the story that Sano didn't respect the kid's show gimmick? He definitely seemed dismissive in the opening until Liger starts coming back in a big way. Fans thought the match was going to end on a countout because A) holy shit, Liger that was insane especially for '89, B) Sano's selling*, and C) it's the '80s and that's how so many big matches ended though by now they were moving away from that thankfully (hold that thought).

*He may have been legitimately concussed by that salvo from Liger. He gets back in the ring, stumbling all over the place, Liger whips him into the ropes, he stumbles and falls backwards into them. Holy shit. Liger smartly puts him in a dragon sleeper to give Sano time to recover. Oh yeah, looks like a real concussion or some injury because he's a step off for a bit here. Sano later goes for a plancha, hits Liger a bit but doesn't really get caught and smashes face first into the ground. That ain't going to help. He's got a trickle of blood coming down from his forehead after the half-failure of a dive too. He proceeds to GO TO THE TOP for a ridiculous negative air dropkick to the outside. He's hit his own crazy combination of dives now. This fits the theme of these two trading back and forth, pushing each other to their limits. The mat sequences at the start laid the groundwork, with them trading holds such as the Romero special, and fancy escapes and such. It culminates when a top rope dropkick from Sano meets a Liger counter dropkick. There's a meta element of raw excitement and emotion because I think everybody in the crowd realizes how fucked up Sano is from that earlier death combination from Liger. The ending is a bit flat for the crowd, as an avalanche backdrop suplex keeps both men down and it's a double knockout. HOWEVER, that plays into the story they told of tit for tat. I think this may be Liger's best. Gotta watch the sequels now but the emotion, craziness, and the story is just A++++++. 

I was at work so I pretended to “do receiving” while I had this on and it was excellent. I’m going to re watch the others and see where I’m at with the order. This might be hyperbole on my part, but I wonder if there’s a parallel between which Sano vs Liger match and which Hart vs Austin match is preferred. One has die hard supporters for its competitive wrestling aspects. The other is championed by many for its picture pleasing ending and blood. Am I overreaching? Maybe.

As for Top Five, I’ll wait to give a full answer. Your write up inspired me to have Liger be one of my August projects. I’m not as familiar with his NOAH work, so I’m probably most excited for those. 

I’m going to cheat and say Vs Sano as one match. I’ll go through them and tag you when I pick a favorite out of them.

When I got home from work I did some digging and saw he had a match with Negro Casas. Just finished that and I’m still pumped up from that. So for sheer excitement reasons I’ll include that for now.

The Great Sasuke 94 match I watched late last year and it held up for me. I remember liking the Otani 97 match quite a bit. I’ll also round it out with the 16 Kushida match being exciting to watch him still go. 

5 hours ago, Jiji said:

Is there a comprehensive Liger comp out there that covers his entire career? I've been in a comp frame of mind lately. I know Will has a '89-'96 bad boy. 

The only one I can find is the Highspots 8-disc. IVP has a few, but I’ve never purchased anything from them before.

(Is Will Goodhelmet?) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Ive not seen any of the grocery stores I go to getting rid of self checkout lanes. 

Ever since covid hit, a lot of grocery stores around me have increased the amount of them available. They've got the floor decals marking 6' intervals in the lines and in most cases they're being cleaned regularly, but they're not going anywhere.

17 minutes ago, Infinit said:

I thought that skit was in poor taste. It was a bad decision for it to make the air. Was it a Russo idea? Or has it been told anywhere that the skit came from the DX members themselves?

In the NOD Table For 3 they brought the skit up and mentioned that the DX guys came to them beforehand to ask if they were ok with it and none of them had a problem. It's been a while since I've seen it and no longer have the network so I don't recall if they said whose idea it was.

Edited by HumanChessgame

31 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

Well, he got suspended/banned by Twitch today, so he may want to Terry Funk that retirement. 

He got hit with the week off because Lana showed up on stream in a bikini and because Rusev isn't a Top 100 Livestreamer thot, that's a no-no.  Now if he had a Sub-only chat full of little shits dropping toxic x-phobic/-ist chats all day, well that's ok...

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Excalibur is a co-founder/co-owner of PWG.

40 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

Well, he got suspended/banned by Twitch today, so he may want to Terry Funk that retirement. 

It's a 1-day ban normal for first strike from what I've been hearing.

Edited by alstein

So when you tweet about Wrestling, sometimes you get random Wrestlers who start following you (hoping you'll follow back and start putting them over when the tweet cool stuff, obviously). So that happened yesterday, when Nadia Sapphire started following me. I go on her account and she's saying she's sore and tired because she wrestled six matches yesterday, and I'm thinking how? She's in Wales, UK is still in partial lockdown and no promotions are running, how is a UK wrestler having matches?

Turns out they're intergender customs for her Onlyfans account. So that's something. You could probably sub to that and learn more about How to Wrestle than you could from bloody Enzo's account, anyway.

16 minutes ago, AxB said:

So when you tweet about Wrestling, sometimes you get random Wrestlers who start following you (hoping you'll follow back and start putting them over when the tweet cool stuff, obviously). So that happened yesterday, when Nadia Sapphire started following me. I go on her account and she's saying she's sore and tired because she wrestled six matches yesterday, and I'm thinking how? She's in Wales, UK is still in partial lockdown and no promotions are running, how is a UK wrestler having matches?

Turns out they're intergender customs for her Onlyfans account. So that's something. You could probably sub to that and learn more about How to Wrestle than you could from bloody Enzo's account, anyway.

the 21st century equivalent of Apartment wrestling 

8 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I was not, in any way, calling Mahal's run good. Just, you know, better than Seth's.

I didn’t say you said it was good, I was pointing out how you’d seemingly rather watch Jinder Mahal matches and listen to him cut xenophobic promos on Shinsuke Nakamara. I get that you, and others, have a raging hate boner for Rollins, but that’s just flat out ridiculous. But, different strokes and all I suppose.

• Like 2

We really need a video of that time Tyler Black leapt off the top of a backboard at an IWA-MS show onto a table for no real reason and a mild reaction while in his super tiny tights phase.

4 hours ago, Octopus said:

I was at work so I pretended to “do receiving” while I had this on and it was excellent. I’m going to re watch the others and see where I’m at with the order. This might be hyperbole on my part, but I wonder if there’s a parallel between which Sano vs Liger match and which Hart vs Austin match is preferred. One has die hard supporters for its competitive wrestling aspects. The other is championed by many for its picture pleasing ending and blood. Am I overreaching? Maybe.

As for Top Five, I’ll wait to give a full answer. Your write up inspired me to have Liger be one of my August projects. I’m not as familiar with his NOAH work, so I’m probably most excited for those. 

I’m going to cheat and say Vs Sano as one match. I’ll go through them and tag you when I pick a favorite out of them.

When I got home from work I did some digging and saw he had a match with Negro Casas. Just finished that and I’m still pumped up from that. So for sheer excitement reasons I’ll include that for now.

The Great Sasuke 94 match I watched late last year and it held up for me. I remember liking the Otani 97 match quite a bit. I’ll also round it out with the 16 Kushida match being exciting to watch him still go. 

The only one I can find is the Highspots 8-disc. IVP has a few, but I’ve never purchased anything from them before.

(Is Will Goodhelmet?) 

Yes.

I believe the owner of IVP used to post around here. I've purchased from him a few times and he's always good.

Need to see that Casas  match. The great thing is, it could be '92 or  2012 and it would still be incredible.

Sasuke '94 ranks highly for sure. I too remember a great Otani match in '97. And I think a Kanemoto one as well. 

Only thing I remember from that match is "Move!" and Shawn Michaels winning by pinfall when the match was restarted as Vader won by countout and DQ. Michaels' was so unprofessional.

Edited by The Natural

Random wrestling thoughts I’ve gathered over the week catching up on the last months goings on;

I wish EC3 was as good as he thinks he is. 

FTR need to talk less. 

The Good Brothers look out of place in anywhere but Japan. 

Cody, The Bucks, Hangman and Kenny are all booked a little too well. 

MJFs promo from Wednesday gets cheered in front of any live crowd. 

For some reason I think Mox gets a smattering of “boos“ in front of any live crowd. 

Orton is the most interesting part of RAW 

Orton has adjusted very well to the lack of crowds, hasn't he? You'd think the wrestlers with experience of tiny indies where the wrestlers outnumber the crowd would be the only ones to thrive, but once the Mania trudge was out of the way he suddenly stepped his game up. Possibly he's always been a 'Greatest Hits' wrestler, so he never changed his shit up because he was always working for the live audience (who wanted to see him doing what he always does on TV, but live and in person). Possibly he's an anti-social misanthrope who is energised by not being surrounded by people shouting and trying to touch him any more.

• Like 4