DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Ember Moon mentioned on her twitch that she wasn't happy with the finish of Asuka vs Sasha and the fact that Bayley and Sasha have all the belts. I think fightful reported and alot of fans got heat with her because of it. I like Sasha and Bayley and I agree that WWE like run people into the ground with pushes, especially Charlotte and Becky more recently. I don't think Ember is a critical of them having all the belts so much as the was Asuka has been booked. Asuka and are Best friends if I recall correctly 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Doc Townsend said:

Comic Book Resources feeling froggy this morning.

Ouch.  They’re not wrong though:  

It's kinda telling how this article lumps Seth Rollins in with the stale old guys (Orton, Show and Rey in this instance), while he's only been on the main roster a shade under 8 years. I mean, Seth sucks, so I get it, but I think it says a lot about how quickly people become completely overexposed in WWE.

To put it into contrast, Bret was with the company for 7 years before winning his first world title. For Shawn it was closer to 8 years. Now, whole careers play out in the space of a couple of years, and guys just spend the rest of their careers simply existing.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, nofuture said:

I think Ember has expressed before that all the titles being on just 2 women is bad because it's leaving a lot of other women on the sidelines with nothing to do.

And she herself is out injured, so it's not (or doesn't appear to be) a sour grapes thing, though she was misused even when healthy. She's got a killer finish, great look, great body, can talk, can work... I just don't get it man

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Issue with Ember, and this wasn't her fault, was that you couldn't sum up her character easily. I think she was a character from a magical girl vampire manga, maybe?

I thought she was a werewolf ...

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Yo-Yo's Roomie said:

It's kinda telling how this article lumps Seth Rollins in with the stale old guys (Orton, Show and Rey in this instance), while he's only been on the main roster a shade under 8 years. I mean, Seth sucks, so I get it, but I think it says a lot about how quickly people become completely overexposed in WWE.

To put it into contrast, Bret was with the company for 7 years before winning his first world title. For Shawn it was closer to 8 years. Now, whole careers play out in the space of a couple of years, and guys just spend the rest of their careers simply existing.

I like how they talk like Shayna is some hot young upstart too. She’s the oldest woman on the active roster, and almost six years older than Seth. As you stated his character sucks, but he’s still much fresher and more of a “young” talent than she is. 

The women they’re pushing for in that article are silly too. Oh yeah Lacey Evans is clearly lacking for TV time. ? And why should Liv Morgan (who seemingly only has a following on Twitter) get a push when the much more talented and entertaining Bianca Belair is on the same show, and can’t get one? 

6 minutes ago, MavsFan77 said:

As you stated his character sucks

I can't agree with this. Seth has a perfectly solid character right now. Its Seth himself who just can't really pull it off.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I can't agree with this. Seth has a perfectly solid character right now. Its Seth himself who just can't really pull it off.

I don’t see anyone doing well with eye for an eye bs they’ve had him doing with Rey. That’s been some extremely bad booking even for a company that specializes in it. 

1 hour ago, Yo-Yo's Roomie said:

The flip side is that a) ten year careers in the wwe used to be rarer (they made a big deal when Undertaker had his “Decade of Destruction”) and b) Bret and Shawn had long journeys in tags and undercards before hitting the main event, where they spent a relatively short time. Compare that with Rollins, who has been heavily featured his entire career.

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

Issue with Ember, and this wasn't her fault, was that you couldn't sum up her character easily. I think she was a character from a magical girl vampire manga, maybe?

50 minutes ago, nate said:

I thought she was a werewolf ...

Same.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, MavsFan77 said:

I don’t see anyone doing well with eye for an eye bs they’ve had him doing with Rey. That’s been some extremely bad booking even for a company that specializes in it. 

That was just a shitty story, not all of Seth's character.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

Same.

Didn't Corey Graves one time say she did a great impression of a tree.

She's probably someone (Like Bayley) who needs to change her WWE character, such as it is, to something that lines up with the main show fans (if they ever come back) a little better.

2 hours ago, Yo-Yo's Roomie said:

Before Nitro was a thing PPVs was only 5 times a year, not nearly as many PPV quality matchups on free tv. Only one brand a few title. Every moved slower. Today everyone can make a case for their favorite wrestler deserving a title because they are half way decent. Until the mid 90s you could be Hall of fame level and not hold a title. Today you could be 5 years on the main roster and had a top title 5 times already. I  explain that to lapsed fans all the time because they get so shocked at how Edge or Orton are like 9 time or 11 time champs. It's hard for old fans to believe that a person can be world champion so many times when there is only one major promotion (until recently).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

I flip-flop on Seth a lot, sometimes I love him (his post-Shield solo run), sometimes I think he’s the worst (The Messiah stuff). 

Generally I think he’s great when he’s playing a slimy manipulative snivelling heel and he’s up against an all powerful ass kicker like Roman or Cena or Braun.

His current run proves not just anyone can be a crazy cult leader (side note - AEW needs to take note of this too).  It’s even more jarring when Bray already exists in the same ‘universe’.

Edited by Ultimo Necro

Dude, dork odor* is pretty good! Come for the Cult Cabana (first time I've cared about him since Second City Saints days) and stay for the comedy of John Silver. At least in my eyes, they have recovered and are interesting. I knew Uno and Grayson could go but their presentation was pretty bad out of the gates. The cult videos helped. Then Brody came in and it was a bit of a stumble out of the gate but he's found his footing as frustrated leader of goobers for the time being. 

* I'm on my phone and don't have access to the Larry Z gif. Close your eyes and think about his finger bow thing (does that have a name?). 

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Ultimo Necro said:

I flip-flop on Seth a lot, sometimes I love him (his post-Shield solo run), sometimes I think he’s the worst (The Messiah stuff). 

Generally I think he’s great when he’s playing a slimy manipulative snivelling heel and he’s up against an all powerful ass kicker like Roman or Cena or Braun.

His current run proves not just anyone can be a crazy cult leader (side note - AEW needs to take note of this too).  It’s even more jarring when Bray already exists in the same ‘universe’.

Honestly, I think Seth just isn't particularly good at character work. Character wise I think what most of WWE has given him to work with has been fine. Its just not material Seth can pull off believably because he is a terrible actor even by wrestling standards. Wrestling wise I think his best work has been tag based.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 2