DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

35 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

Somehow, trying for the hard cam to place people is one of those things guaranteed to not end well.

It's almost shocking that we haven't seen some promoter try to pull the "well, we can only have 25% attendance? Put everyone sitting together in the hard cam quarter of the arena so it looks like we're sold out- we still only did 25% attendance so you can't get mad at us" yet. 

I mean it's not something that's really taking away from my viewing experience, but the reason I mentioned it is I got strange vibes after watching the Yankee-Nats opener (that got rained out). During the day it was fine, but as night comes, a vast empty stadium looks remarkably creepy. Now AEW has added people scattered around, but I think the other way around would help the visual aesthetic and ambiance. Even if you can place so many people in that area, you're not shooting several rows of empty seats on some Pink Floyd Live at Pompeii type shit. I almost expect Abdullah the Butcher's All Japan theme to start playing and Nick Mason to be doing drum fills.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

Watching baseball I've actually been impressed by their artificial crowd noise in terms of the timing. It hasn't been nearly as goofy as I feared. If you've got in on in the background you'd hardly know it's fake.

Boxing in Mexico (specifically Box Azteca for TV Azteca) has experimented with this along with giant video walls of fans at home on each of the three sides you can see. The crowd noise doesn't sound very genuine, and the giant video walls was very distracting along with weird. I mean they have a very fancy setup (very much on par with WWE and what Top Rank just did at the MGM Grand Conference Center), but the video walls make it so your eye is drawn towards the fans and not the fighters in the ring. I guess it's a work in progress.

6 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Watching baseball I've actually been impressed by their artificial crowd noise in terms of the timing. It hasn't been nearly as goofy as I feared. If you've got in on in the background you'd hardly know it's fake.

Ehhhhh... I watched a game the other day where the sound board guy was too early, too late, or too confused on certain plays that it came off awkwardly.

Also just seeing this stuff makes me eye it cynically. Like I wouldn’t be surprised if they are thinking deep down about not bothering with fans anymore, in the same way grocery stores are doing away with self checkout lanes. I... It’s one of those “what’s the point of all this shit anymore” things. I’d personally rather have them play music loudly when the home team does something cool.

Also... I have a feeling this stuff was already in use prior to this. I know because I’ve attended Florida sporting events for years, and that crowd “chattering” sounds very familiar.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

9 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Boxing in Mexico (specifically Box Azteca for TV Azteca) has experimented with this along with giant video walls of fans at home on each of the three sides you can see.

Just do a virtual audience like in that Black Mirror episode.  That won't be creepy at all.

1*sXX3LbwYeH1f6tu0KY4SgQ.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, OSJ said:

Yeah there was two of them, from South Africa IIRC. (No idea if that was a work or not, I never cared enough about them to research it).

They were both legit from South Africa. They were the sons of a South African wrestler/promoter.

Ember Moon mentioned on her twitch that she wasn't happy with the finish of Asuka vs Sasha and the fact that Bayley and Sasha have all the belts. I think fightful reported and alot of fans got heat with her because of it. I like Sasha and Bayley and I agree that WWE like run people into the ground with pushes, especially Charlotte and Becky more recently. I don't think Ember is a critical of them having all the belts so much as the was Asuka has been booked. Asuka and are Best friends if I recall correctly 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Doc Townsend said:

Comic Book Resources feeling froggy this morning.

Ouch.  They’re not wrong though:  

It's kinda telling how this article lumps Seth Rollins in with the stale old guys (Orton, Show and Rey in this instance), while he's only been on the main roster a shade under 8 years. I mean, Seth sucks, so I get it, but I think it says a lot about how quickly people become completely overexposed in WWE.

To put it into contrast, Bret was with the company for 7 years before winning his first world title. For Shawn it was closer to 8 years. Now, whole careers play out in the space of a couple of years, and guys just spend the rest of their careers simply existing.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, nofuture said:

I think Ember has expressed before that all the titles being on just 2 women is bad because it's leaving a lot of other women on the sidelines with nothing to do.

And she herself is out injured, so it's not (or doesn't appear to be) a sour grapes thing, though she was misused even when healthy. She's got a killer finish, great look, great body, can talk, can work... I just don't get it man

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Issue with Ember, and this wasn't her fault, was that you couldn't sum up her character easily. I think she was a character from a magical girl vampire manga, maybe?

I thought she was a werewolf ...

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Yo-Yo's Roomie said:

It's kinda telling how this article lumps Seth Rollins in with the stale old guys (Orton, Show and Rey in this instance), while he's only been on the main roster a shade under 8 years. I mean, Seth sucks, so I get it, but I think it says a lot about how quickly people become completely overexposed in WWE.

To put it into contrast, Bret was with the company for 7 years before winning his first world title. For Shawn it was closer to 8 years. Now, whole careers play out in the space of a couple of years, and guys just spend the rest of their careers simply existing.

I like how they talk like Shayna is some hot young upstart too. She’s the oldest woman on the active roster, and almost six years older than Seth. As you stated his character sucks, but he’s still much fresher and more of a “young” talent than she is. 

The women they’re pushing for in that article are silly too. Oh yeah Lacey Evans is clearly lacking for TV time. ? And why should Liv Morgan (who seemingly only has a following on Twitter) get a push when the much more talented and entertaining Bianca Belair is on the same show, and can’t get one? 

6 minutes ago, MavsFan77 said:

As you stated his character sucks

I can't agree with this. Seth has a perfectly solid character right now. Its Seth himself who just can't really pull it off.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I can't agree with this. Seth has a perfectly solid character right now. Its Seth himself who just can't really pull it off.

I don’t see anyone doing well with eye for an eye bs they’ve had him doing with Rey. That’s been some extremely bad booking even for a company that specializes in it.