DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

3 hours ago, Ziggy said:

Hannibaltv says Edge and Daniel Bryan is on the Creative team, interesting 

Bryan I can see considering some of the better stuff they’re doing on Smackdown (pushing new guys to fight AJ, Cesaro actually getting a push, Big E having a shot at a singles run), but I’m not sure I buy into the Edge story. The obvious thing pointing to it being possible is Orton’s push, but we know Vince loves him anyhow so that’s not something you can say is definitely Edge having influence. 

Edited by MavsFan77

5 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

We always bring up Steamboat's real name, Richard Blood, as an example of a great real name for wrestling. I just found out re-reading Gary Hart's book again that Gino Hernandez's real name was Charles Wolf! Charlie Wolf would have been a killer babyface name.

Two words: Jonathan Good.

7 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

The performance center DOES pretty much suck visually..   AEW's place looks so much better.  I get why WWE produces their shows from there obviously but at least for SummerSlam a change would be welcomed.  

The only problem with the AEW set-up is I spend more time looking at those glorious sunsets sometimes than watching what's going on in the ring.  WWE needs to up their game.  WWE Raw: Golden Hour where it's just one hour long show filmed outside in the last hour before sunset.  Or Terrence Malick-produced Raw where it's just random shots of wrestlers in nature with an introspective monologue about life running over top of the images.  Ratings will stay largely the same.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, caley said:

The only problem with the AEW set-up is I spend more time looking at those glorious sunsets

Jesus, yes the sunsets down in miami are just as beautiful, but Jacksonville’s looks even better on TV. It’s a very relaxing sight.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, caley said:

The only problem with the AEW set-up is I spend more time looking at those glorious sunsets sometimes than watching what's going on in the ring.  WWE needs to up their game.  WWE Raw: Golden Hour where it's just one hour long show filmed outside in the last hour before sunset.  Or Terrence Malick-produced Raw where it's just random shots of wrestlers in nature with an introspective monologue about life running over top of the images.  Ratings will stay largely the same.

Contemplation, oooh yeeeah! | Macho man, Macho man randy savage ...

I cannot even begin to imagine the things going through that man's head, so I will not try to do a Macho monologue, but this was what I thought of immediately when you posted that.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Contemplation, oooh yeeeah! | Macho man, Macho man randy savage ...

I cannot even begin to imagine the things going through that man's head, so I will not try to do a Macho monologue, but this was what I thought of immediately when you posted that.

Now I just wanna hear a Terrence Malick monologue delivered in Macho's voice and inflections:

"What's this war in the heart of nature ? Why does nature vie with itself?. The land contend with the sea? ls there an avenging power in nature? Not one power, but two? The Macho Man remembers his mother when she was dying. Looked all shrunk up and gray. The Macho Man asked her if she was afraid. She just shook her head. But Macho Man wasn't afraid to touch the death he seen in her. Macho heard people talk about immortality, but I ain't seen it.  Ohhh yeah, dig it?!"

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I almost wished they made Nikita face a jobber on television named Scott Simpson because that is the most jobberiffic name you'll find. 

He was a lucky sumbitch.

Wasn't there a Scott Simpson in World Class?

22 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

Never fails to make me laugh that Rick Rude's real name was Richard Rood.

You pretty much have to figure that any guy whose last name was "Rude" or "Rood" likely grew up to be a pretty tough sonofabitch. Kids are cruel.

By the same token, in a group of Irish guys, you do not want to fuck with the one named "Declan".

3 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Steve and Shaun. I was close lol

Yeah there was two of them, from South Africa IIRC. (No idea if that was a work or not, I never cared enough about them to research it).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, caley said:

Now I just wanna hear a Terrence Malick monologue delivered in Macho's voice and inflections:

"What's this war in the heart of nature ? Why does nature vie with itself?. The land contend with the sea? ls there an avenging power in nature? Not one power, but two? The Macho Man remembers his mother when she was dying. Looked all shrunk up and gray. The Macho Man asked her if she was afraid. She just shook her head. But Macho Man wasn't afraid to touch the death he seen in her. Macho heard people talk about immortality, but I ain't seen it.  Ohhh yeah, dig it?!"

I would rather watch three hours of this then literally anything that happened on Raw this week

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Robert s said:

Just looking at the WWE roster, there are a whole lot of guys and girls who could have made a good career using their real names (Windham Rotonda is not one of them, though).

That is a name I never got. I assume you want to pay homage to his uncle? NAME THE KID BARRY. No wonder the dude is such a weirdo

13 minutes ago, Phil4126 said:

That is a name I never got. I assume you want to pay homage to his uncle? NAME THE KID BARRY. No wonder the dude is such a weirdo

I’d presume it’s more his mother’s maiden name, than being named after either Barry or even Kendall. 

too bad neither Bray or Bo became Blackjack Mullligan the Third. 

Dr Death Steve Williams also named his son Windham. If he'd have wrestled, they could have done a Varsity Club second generation team of Double Windhams.

10 minutes ago, AxB said:

Dr Death Steve Williams also named his son Windham. If he'd have wrestled, they could have done a Varsity Club second generation team of Double Windhams.

Not as sexy and cute as the non related Double Inoue, but I'll allow it.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Now that they essentially have designated, created crowds, could they not put those people where the hard camera would be pointed at instead of focusing on a rather large venue? They basically got rid of one problem and created another.

Somehow, trying for the hard cam to place people is one of those things guaranteed to not end well.

It's almost shocking that we haven't seen some promoter try to pull the "well, we can only have 25% attendance? Put everyone sitting together in the hard cam quarter of the arena so it looks like we're sold out- we still only did 25% attendance so you can't get mad at us" yet. 

• Like 1