DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

I can’t think of anything I hate more than people talking to me for no reason, but people talking to me for no reason about wrestling things because I’m wearing a wrestling t-shirt is the stuff of nightmares.

I have an Elias “US tour” shirt from a few years back. It’s so well done most non-fans probably just think he’s some rock singer. But if someone came up to me and started asking about wrestling, WWE or Elias I would run away from them like I was the 24/7 champ.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

You know, I've only ever had two wrestling shirts (a WWF Attitude shirt that I got shit for in school because I admitted it was bought at Walmart, and a Lucha Underground logo shirt) but my entire wardrobe is made of band t-shirts. 

Nobody ever says shit about the band t-shirts. Like, EVER. I can't even remember someone even giving me a shout for, say, a Maiden shirt in public my entire life. 

P.S. For a split second I thought @Peck was wearing a Tinieblas mask in that photo on the last page until I realized it was just a COVID mask haha

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

I have a Cactus Jack Wanted Dead shirt and a yellow Justin Liger one. I used to have a cool maroon Bryan Danielson one but I think that ripped up. Would be way too small. Miss that one.

15 minutes ago, Ultimo Necro said:

I can’t think of anything I hate more than people talking to me for no reason, but people talking to me for no reason about wrestling things because I’m wearing a wrestling t-shirt is the stuff of nightmares.

I have an Elias “US tour” shirt from a few years back. It’s so well done most non-fans probably just think he’s some rock singer. But if someone came up to me and started asking about wrestling, WWE or Elias I would run away from them like I was the 24/7 champ.

AB305054-AA6-C-4554-82-D7-5-A39-E30-B4-F

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 15

13 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Nobody ever says shit about the band t-shirts. Like, EVER. I can't even remember someone even giving me a shout for, say, a Maiden shirt in public my entire life. 

a few weeks back, i was at a convenience store near my house and a guy in a SLAYER hoodie came up to me and asked what kind of music i like. i didn't want to engage in conversation (Ultimo Necro is my spirit animal) so i gave a non-committal "mostly rock" answer. he proceeds to ask if i like SLAYER, tells me that he just got his shirt, and that i look like i like SLAYER. i couldn't leave fast enough.

post script, i saw Slayer guy again last week at a different public place. he looked at me, threw metal horns, and yelled SLAYER! 

i have legitimately no idea what is going on here.

• Like 4
  • Haha 9

11 minutes ago, twiztor said:

a few weeks back, i was at a convenience store near my house and a guy in a SLAYER hoodie came up to me and asked what kind of music i like. i didn't want to engage in conversation (Ultimo Necro is my spirit animal) so i gave a non-committal "mostly rock" answer. he proceeds to ask if i like SLAYER, tells me that he just got his shirt, and that i look like i like SLAYER. i couldn't leave fast enough.

post script, i saw Slayer guy again last week at a different public place. he looked at me, threw metal horns, and yelled SLAYER! 

i have legitimately no idea what is going on here.

It's me!

- RAF

• Haha 4

I don't wear wrestling stuff but one time I broke my "no talking to strangers" rule and complimented a librarian on his Blue Demon shirt, but he had no idea who Blue Demon was and just wore the shirt because it looked cool.

59 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

I don't wear wrestling stuff but one time I broke my "no talking to strangers" rule and complimented a librarian on his Blue Demon shirt, but he had no idea who Blue Demon was and just wore the shirt because it looked cool.

To be fair, that's a good rule.

Back in Seattle I nearly got into a fight for wearing one of my NWO shirts. I was at the local and this guy asked what the letters stood for and I responded with "New World Order..." "What kind of commie shit is that?" "Uh, it's a pro-wrestling thing..." "Oh, I don't watch now it's all fake. Back in the day when Dutch Savage and Playboy Buddy Rose were wrestling it was real..." "Uh, yeah, exactly..." Couldn't leave fast enough.

• Like 2

I'm not real big on wrestling shirts, but I've worn out three of Christopher Daniels "Fallen Angel"* tees, I am totally bummed that he doesn't sell them any longer.

It was one of my two dart league shirts, the other one was Arrogant Bastard Ale, (yeah, I know seems an odd choice for a guy that doesn't drink, but my last team in Seattle was the Arrogant Bastards.) Darts needs more heels and you just know I was one of the best.

My most surprising comment when I was wearing a wrestling shirt happened at Living Spaces (ikea style cheap huge furniture store). I was wearing my LIJ shirt and a 20 something female employee chased me down and said “I was at the G1 Special in San Francisco. It was so fun.” That was literally the last thing I expected to hear. I was like “...oh, cool! Yeah I was there too, it was great.” Before anyone says anything I was with my wife and kids. She just had to stop me and share her enthusiasm. It was great. 

• Like 7

I was walking to a coffee shop with my friend. A guy got out of his car to yell, “BANG BANG!” With the Foley finger guns. I didn’t tell my friend it’s because of my Cactus Jack shirt so he thinks I’m in a rougher neighborhood than I am. 

You know how the Cactus Jack Wanted Dead shirt was out of print for ages, and then came back as the compromised and unimpressive Wanted Dead or Alive? I met a guy at a Wrestling show who was insanely jealous that I had one. Especially when he found out I bought it in '95.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, AxB said:

You know how the Cactus Jack Wanted Dead shirt was out of print for ages, and then came back as the compromised and unimpressive Wanted Dead or Alive? I met a guy at a Wrestling show who was insanely jealous that I had one. Especially when he found out I bought it in '95.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL. The one I have is actually Wanted Dead or Alive. After reading your post it clicked and I double checked. Woof.

21739114-67-C4-4-A97-A599-AA4-A1-C2-DFFD

Apologies for unintentionally posing Mic Foley street-cred. I’m cracking myself up over the goof up, haha.

4 hours ago, Ultimo Necro said:

With a few notable exceptions, being approached by randos wanting to talk to me because of the shirt I'm wearing ranges from tedious to annoying. If the average wrestling fan were similar to the representation of most of the people on here that would be one thing, but most wrestling fans are not exactly people I enjoy talking to. I tend to keep my wrestling fandom on the dl in general due to the general reaction being some casual fan wanting to talk about whatever is going down on Raw and who thinks it's still real, or people who find it necessary to remind you that it's fake/stupid/problematic/for idiots/etc. Then there's wearing the garb of some more obscure or foreign wrestler, having people ask you about it, then having to explain it.

4 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

You know, I've only ever had two wrestling shirts (a WWF Attitude shirt that I got shit for in school because I admitted it was bought at Walmart, and a Lucha Underground logo shirt) but my entire wardrobe is made of band t-shirts. 

80% of my wardrobe is probably metal shirts and I wear them a lot less when out and about in general just because I got annoyed of people asking about what the shirt said, being weirded out about something on it, or being into Korn and thinking we were somehow on the same wavelength music-wise. Then there were actual metalheads who talked to me who just ended up being annoying meatheads (see comment about talking to casual wrestling fans above). The last few years I was at Maryland Deathfest there was a huge uptick in the amount of wrestling shirts I saw. Apparently it was some micro-trend to use wrestling shirts as backpatches for vests. I saw some guy who had a backpatch made from a Barely Legal ppv tshirt.

• Like 1