DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

I’m on a flight from Pittsburgh to Charlotte this morning on American. Paid $43 to upgrade to First Class. Wearing my Ric Flair studio-interview Puma shirt(pictured).

Flight attendant: “That’s a tremendous shirt. Any specific reason you’re wearing it?”

Me: “Well, when I fly in First Class I feel it’s only right to have the Nature Boy with me.”

Attendant: “I worked for 15 years in the business setting up rings and working as a backup ring announcer. Ric Flair has been over to my house.”

Small world. Thought that was funny. So does anyone out there remember a ring announcer named Teddy? White dude, slightish current resemblance to Bill Clinton. I remember a Tony Gilliam but this definitely wasn’t him.

E9621129-900-F-4486-AC82-90-ACE920-D5-A4

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Peck said:

I’m on a flight from Pittsburgh to Charlotte this morning on American. Paid $43 to upgrade to First Class. Wearing my Ric Flair studio-interview Puma shirt(pictured).

Flight attendant: “That’s a tremendous shirt. Any specific reason you’re wearing it?”

Me: “Well, when I fly in First Class I feel it’s only right to have the Nature Boy with me.”

Attendant: “I worked for 15 years in the business setting up rings and working as a backup ring announcer. Ric Flair has been over to my house.”

Small world. Thought that was funny. So does anyone out there remember a ring announcer named Teddy? White dude, slightish current resemblance to Bill Clinton. I remember a Tony Gilliam but this definitely wasn’t him.

E9621129-900-F-4486-AC82-90-ACE920-D5-A4

Thanks for sharing, @Peck. Cool how stories can result from what you wear. Last year I was entering ASDA as someone was leaving. I had my Metallica hoodie on and he a Metallica shirt. Without saying anything we gave one another a nod of approval.

• Like 1

I know from experience that wearing the lavender Macho Man shirt in Canada will cause random friendly Canadians to a) exclaim that they like your shirt and b) list off '80s WWF wrestlers that they fondly remember. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

That has been my experience with the lavender Macho Man shirt here in the U.S., also. I've worn that shirt to various music festivals and while on vacation in various major cities in the lower 48, and I don't think it has ever failed to get a reaction or a compliment from someone. People seem to be able to tell that I'm an introvert and ordinarily give me a wide berth in public, but I'm best buddies with tons of random people when I've got that t-shirt on.

Everybody knows Randy Savage, and everybody knows that shirt. I know there tends to be a stigma around wearing wrestling merch in public for some people...but I have had 100% positive reactions to that one. No shame needed.

• Like 8

21 minutes ago, Casey said:

Apparently metalheads love Damien Sandow if my experience at a Lamb of God concert was anything to go by.

My Undisputed Era shirt was hella over at the Alice in Chains*/Korn show I went to last year. Tons of random "Adam Cole Bay Bay!" shouts throughout the day.

* = The band died with Layne.

• Like 4

My lavendar Macho Man shirt also got plenty of reactions almost any time I wore it. I'm a bit too big for it now, but I'm in the process of losing weight so it fits again. Not sure I want to stretch out a large on my body at the moment.

I will say though, the shirt doesn't hold up well quality wise. I lost my original lavendar Macho Man shirt forever ago so some years back I bought the throwback one off of WWE. After multiple washings and letting it air dry most of the time, it started to get really rough and even pill up, which is weird for a t-shirt to do. It honestly feels like I could rip it apart right now. For something that was nearly $30, it feels cheap as fuck. I wish WWE gave you the option for fabric quality that Pro Wrestling Tees gives you. Then again, my high quality Rainmaker and CM Punk shirts from Pro Wrestling Tees now have the graphics cracking and fading.

• Like 1

Yeah, the lavender Macho Man shirt crosses over from "wrestling shirt" to "'80s kitsch," and '80s kitsch is cool right now.

Plus, it's just a well-designed shirt.

I believe that people around the U.S. also comment on it, it's just that I've worn that shirt out maybe three times across vacations in Canada, and an inordinate amount of people have talked to me about it, so I noticed it more. 

• Like 3

Are ya’ll washing your shirts inside out? I’ve had a Rollins shirt since his return from injury in, what, 2016? And it’s still like brand new, and I wear it at least once a week.

Shit, I’ve got that white Best In The World shirt from MITB 2011 and it’s still in pretty good condition (it’s shrunk in the wash over the years a little but that’s it).

4 hours ago, Teflon Turtle said:

That has been my experience with the lavender Macho Man shirt here in the U.S., also. I've worn that shirt to various music festivals and while on vacation in various major cities in the lower 48, and I don't think it has ever failed to get a reaction or a compliment from someone. People seem to be able to tell that I'm an introvert and ordinarily give me a wide berth in public, but I'm best buddies with tons of random people when I've got that t-shirt on.

Everybody knows Randy Savage, and everybody knows that shirt. I know there tends to be a stigma around wearing wrestling merch in public for some people...but I have had 100% positive reactions to that one. No shame needed.

Honestly, it seems like it's not just a good reason to wear wrestling shirts and get compliments for it, but it also seems like it's interesting to see the most obscure wrestler for people to "get it" when you see their shirts in public.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Are ya’ll washing your shirts inside out? I’ve had a Rollins shirt since his return from injury in, what, 2016? And it’s still like brand new, and I wear it at least once a week.

Shit, I’ve got that white Best In The World shirt from MITB 2011 and it’s still in pretty good condition (it’s shrunk in the wash over the years a little but that’s it).

Screw you and your magical Maytag washing machine.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Jiji said:

Yup, got two from WWE and they've aged like a heroin addict. I am going to try one from Amazon and see how it holds up. 

Heroin addicts are known for their long lives and youthful appearance. Just look at Jack LaLanne when he was alive. That's unrelated. Just look at him.

• Haha 2

Wash the shirts on gentle cycles/permanent press/cold and line/hang dry if possible. That should let them last a little longer. Like a week.

On 7/14/2020 at 8:59 PM, elizium said:

I have the absolute dumbest favourite board memory:

Somehow the topic of clothing came up in the wrestling thread and one guy piped up, saying that when he was 21 he threw out all his t-shirts, jeans, etc. and replaced them with polo shirts and khaki pants because it was time to "dress like an adult."

I have literally thought about that statement at least once a week for, it must be, 8 years now. I did a search and couldn't find it, so it must have been from one of the older versions of the board. I often wonder what happened to him, maybe he's a Proud Boy now?

And as a side note, since I searched it, we do not talk about Johnny Polo nearly enough. Johnny Polo and the Quebecers were the best part of 93/94 WWF, that is my thesis.

Can someone please, please find this person and have them come back to feud with Casey and his once-a-week Seth Rollins shirt wearing habits. This is what we all need in this time of darkness and struggle.

• Haha 6

Now that you guys mention it: I've owned 5 wrestling shirts in my life.  I have a Randy Savage shirt that is like 7 years old and still looks new (that's an Old Navy shirt), a Christopher Daniels shirt that I don't wear anymore because it looks more religious than wrestling (which I bought directly from him) but is still completely wearable otherwise despite being almost 20 years old and an Asian Cooger shirt (which I bought from him and was sized all weird and I was honestly never able to really wear but still looks pristine). Yet my two official shirts were: an nWo shirt which was a WCW product and looked like it had been consumed by moths within months of getting it; and a WWE Bushwhackers shirt which is older but now faded into oblivion and also covered in holes.  

• Like 1

An Asian Cougar t-shirt. So obscure! Did it have his mask on it and not just the words "ASIAN COUGAR"? ? 

I had no idea he worked ECCW and was all over the place before Osaka Pro.

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 2

I will admit the following: I had a Y2J shirt my freshman year of college, mainly because I was frustrated I couldn't get a Monday Night Jericho one. And then in 2004 or so, because I was an ass, I had a "Hunter Killed My Push" shirt that I went to indy shows wearing. 

Also, of course, my Survivor Series 93 shirt I got when I went backstage and met the Smoking Gunns because my friend's uncle worked for Titan. 

1 hour ago, SorceressKnight said:

Honestly, it seems like it's not just a good reason to wear wrestling shirts and get compliments for it, but it also seems like it's interesting to see the most obscure wrestler for people to "get it" when you see their shirts in public.

Yeah. The positive reinforcement I got from wearing the Macho Man shirt pretty much led me to not hesitate to wear any merch out in public regardless of obscurity.  It can go good, bad, or in the middle - plenty of knowing, wordless "too sweets" exchanged during the height of Elite-era Bullet Club, for instance.

Best one was when I wore an LIJ shirt to a small town brewery right around the time of one of the Naito/Jericho matches in NJPW. Thing is, I had a (non-wrestling) zip-up sweatshirt on over it - only a small part of the LIJ logo was actually visible. Somebody still spotted it, and shouted "You just made the list!" from across the beer garden. We wound up having a great conversation. 

Worst would've been wearing an Okada shirt during a mostly-indoors music festival. A very, very drunk person with no wrestling knowledge asked me about my shirt several times to the point of almost badgering me about it, and I basically stated that I would have to explain it at another time. I can be awkward enough as it is. I don't need to be the guy shouting "THIS IS A SHIRT FOR A REALLY COOL JAPANESE PRO-WRESTLER!!!" right when the song stops and nobody is talking. 

Edited by Teflon Turtle
Edited for neurotic need to reword things.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2