DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

10 minutes ago, Six String Orchestra said:

Am I the only one not super interested in the demos and the ratings for the weekly shows? I get Raw did an all time low being newsworthy but the production the gets made out of NXT vs AEW... not on here nearly as much as other places but ugh.

I somewhat with you. I'm always interested in giggling at slapfights and pettiness and seeing which flimsy narratives emerge about the drawing ability of x, y, and z. But my actual interest in the numbers waxes and wanes. 

Edited by Andy in Kansas

1 hour ago, Morganti said:

She is sayin that if she had 10 more minutes she woulda stole Seth from Becky

No, I mean, does the joke needing to be made by others refer to her saying that it would take her 10 minutes to woo Rollins, or is she saying it would take Rollins a whopping 10 minutes to impregnate her, or is she calculating 10 minutes for total wooing *and* impregnating time?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nate said:

No, I mean, does the joke needing to be made by others refer to her saying that it would take her 10 minutes to woo Rollins, or is she saying it would take Rollins a whopping 10 minutes to impregnate her, or is she calculating 10 minutes for total wooing *and* impregnating time?

steinermath.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 11

26 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

To me the bigger ratings story is RAW setting historic lows, as opposed to NXT vs. AEW, but that's not as sexy. It does make for some good comedy though.

I do enjoy the contrasting narratives from Monday to Wednesday. Everyone's weeding into week-by-week comparisons and demos and quarter-hour breakdowns for the Wednesday shows and using slim marginal differences in one category or another to attempt to crown someone a draw or label someone as an anti-draw. With Mondays, Vince and Bruce (through much fault of their own as well as decades of well-established narrative) take the lion's share of the blame as ratings crater and nobody really wrestles with the idea that some of the talent we enjoy may be part of the problem. It's definitely fun to watch what seems to be a lack of intellectual rigor being applied as people use data to fit narratives they want to prop up. 

And I hope nobody takes this as though I'm trying to absolve Vince or Bruce of anything. I'm not and they suck. I just find enjoyment in the shape these conversations take. 

The buy-in on "Jon Moxley: certified draw" that didn't exist a couple hours ago is really something. 

Edited by Andy in Kansas
  • Like 2

The WWE has plenty of talent but my attempts to watch their shows again recently have died pretty fast. It's so unbelievably sterile, overproduced. Promos mostly feel like guys reading off of cue cards. Nothing really feels organic. It's just not very fun, to me. It's plastic.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

To me the bigger ratings story is RAW setting historic lows, as opposed to NXT vs. AEW, but that's not as sexy. It does make for some good comedy though.

Food for thought: if COVID ends, and Raw gets low enough, is there a possibility AEW's planned second show goes live Monday nights? The idea of almost every "major" wrestling start-up since 2001 has been "Grab the missing WCW/ECW fans": XWF, WWA, TNA, GFW, etc. but have we reached a point where enough people have quit WWE that they might be worth attempting to hook on their night? Raw's numbers in 2010 when TNA tried it and Raw's numbers today are very different, and AEW would be bringing what they normally bring (rather than pushing their roster aside for Hogan, Flair, and Val Venis or whatever.) I'm not saying it's the smartest move, but I'm just wondering out loud if there's a bottom for Raw that would make it difficult for it to not at least attempt.

@Death From Above editing to say i agree wholeheartedly. They lost me after 27 years! Granted, I spent a solid 4-5 of them as a WCW defector, but still.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Food for thought: if COVID ends, and Raw gets low enough, is there a possibility AEW's planned second show goes live Monday nights? The idea of almost every "major" wrestling start-up since 2001 has been "Grab the missing WCW/ECW fans": XWF, WWA, TNA, GFW, etc. but have we reached a point where enough people have quit WWE that they might be worth attempting to hook on their night? Raw's numbers in 2010 when TNA tried it and Raw's numbers today are very different, and AEW would be bringing what they normally bring (rather than pushing their roster aside for Hogan, Flair, and Val Venis or whatever.) I'm not saying it's the smartest move, but I'm just wondering out loud if there's a bottom for Raw that would make it difficult for it to not at least attempt.

"If it bleeds, we can kill it." -- Coach Tony, soon

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I honestly hope that doesn't happen. People love to romanticize that era, and I was in high school at the time so I get the excitement. But that head to head led to a massive overproliferation of hotshot angling that was some of the all-time worst shit. There was so much stuff both ways of cutting off your own nose to spite your face as companies tried to gain any perceived edge. Also, one of the companies was so busy trying to kill the other they ended up losing $60 million a year. The company that nearly went bankrupt and had to restructure everyone's contracts was the *winner*. There's a ton of bad.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On the other hand, I'm curious to see what craziness would come of it. The TNA stuff in 2010 is what it took for Vince to finally get Bret back on TV, and they weren't even close to touching Raw. They'd have to feel like the sky is falling if someone got close or topped his flagship on a regular basis.

If it were to come to that in the next couple years, someone's gotta finally find a big enough bag and start whispering sweet nothings to FSW. Or maybe you check in on what kind of health Steve Austin is in and if he'd like a new mansion. Is Brock open to being a more full-time wrestler? How shitty does Ronda feel about her last run? Do you bring in the Mountain from GoT for a match against Big Show? Does anyone know Conor McGregor's number? Do you change all the music on your show to kpop? I would want to see what kind of wild swings Vince would take. Or at that point would it be time to start shining this turd up and trying to cash out?

Edited by Andy in Kansas
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Infinit said:

"Elite wrestler" is... technically true? Maybe? 

2 minutes ago, Infinit said:

I’m confused by the way the article is worded. We have discussed him being forced by Tony to give his salary to the women’s center for however long he’s suspended. Which is what the article seems to be saying. Then again the way it’s titled leads to the idea he’s donating the money he’d already been paid too (which I find extremely unlikely).

3 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

"Elite wrestler" is... technically true? Maybe? 

It’s definitely true. I’d take Sammy over most of the performers that were on last nights show (Jurassic Express, Inner Circle minus Le Champion, Sonny Kiss, Cage, and Nyla Rose, and all four women in the tag match). He’s highly entertaining, and constantly improving in the ring.

Edited by MavsFan77

43 minutes ago, nate said:

Random thoughts:

1. Did Krone Metzler ever take over the IWC?

2. If NWA is done, I want to see Jocephus and his spiritual adviser end up somewhere bigger.

Impact has an affinity for supernatural gimmicks dating back to their TNA days. Hopefully the two of them show up their I also hope Tim Storm shows up as the straight laced Director of Authority and Josephus makes Storms life a living hell. Basically this again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Six String Orchestra said:

Am I the only one not super interested in the demos and the ratings for the weekly shows? I get Raw did an all time low being newsworthy but the production the gets made out of NXT vs AEW... not on here nearly as much as other places but ugh.

Just be thankful we don’t have to endure discussions about PPV buyrates anymore outside of AEW from time to time. 
Man those were exciting times. 

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

@Death From Above editing to say i agree wholeheartedly. They lost me after 27 years! Granted, I spent a solid 4-5 of them as a WCW defector, but still.

Khan said he wouldn't think about running TV on Mondays because of NFL Monday night football. Its was WWEs decision to run up against AEW in the first place which in sure they wanted to avoid.

The whole Wednesday night Ratings war isnt interesting to me either. Outside of the first few weeks because I wanted to see how many veiwers each show would generate which is collectively still less than WCW Nitro at the end or Collectively the same as Impacts highest ratings. I think AEWs viewership will get way larger in time but I find it lame that Khan and Jericho bragging about winning demographics of 7000 viewers. I'm glad they are winning because in obviously matters to the network but its lame to see them be so publicly brag about it.

• Like 1

So remember when people used to accuse Kenny Omega of being friends with the paedophile Chasyn Rance (who he barely knew)? Well...

And also:

funny you posted that, somebody on twitter tweeted something along the lines "Moose just blocked me guess he's too busy hitting his wives" so I tweeted back "I see why he blocked you you keep bringing up that he hit his wife" not the most tasteful joke i know but  made it and I had no knowledge of Moose hanging w\out with Chasyn Rance. Then that person who made the original tweet came at me I'm gonna write it out cuz they were upset and it wasn't my intention "I brought it up cuz he's willfully promoting a person who raped a child while being a pos. You got something else to add to the conversation or are you ready to put the foot on the gas and stay in your lane? Let me know if you need directions to find loserville" so i said "it was sarcasm chill the fuck out" now if they had stopped the twitter after the "while being a pos" I would have enquired about what he did and engaged in a conversation but the "directions to loserville" quip struck a chord i guess. They then said I wasn't funny and blocked me. 

For the record I don't think Rance should be in the wrestling business. And also on record I am digging thie Real World Champion stuff on Impacy but I'm not a Quinn Ojinnaka (Moose's government name) fan at all.