DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

I remember a couple of ideas that seemed to become a board group think. One was that punches and stalling where better that MOVEZ!!! the other (and this seemed to be very self loathing at the time) is that wrestlings target audience was gays, children and the mentally handicapped 

Guest Edwin

I know WrestleMania 13 is mostly known for Bret vs. Stone Cold, but that Chicago Street Fight between LOD and Ahmed vs. NOD was a wild and heated feud driven ringside brawl with folks just endlessly getting hit with some nasty weapon shots and some crazy bumps from Faarooq.

3 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

Guys my birthday is at the end of the month and I love Encino Man get Pauly Shore to say Happy Birthday Bud-dy or something.  You can all chip in.

My stepsister met him a few years ago. She was very excited to let everyone know he told her her boobs were huge.

• Haha 4

Yeah, still going, last album was 2014. I think the only thing I ever heard of em was Heading to Tomorrow and didn't like it much. That song above is perfectly fine. 

I'm picky about my power metal though. Never liked Helloween after the first Keeper album, for instance. (Shit, I'm just picky about metal in general, but that's for another thread)

On 7/14/2020 at 8:44 PM, For Great Justice said:

Guys, getting back to pro graps matters at hand, and off the back of the combination of "Raw is stale", "AEW is booking it too safe" and "oh wow NJPW turned EVIL" discussions, can I submit the 2010's as the most safely booked, least surprising decade in forever? 

I will give you:

Nexus debut

Shield debut

Vince's limo explodes

[Daniel Bryan, Edge, Roman Reigns, etc] returns

NJPW debuts and pushes Jay White to the moon

Gedo turns on Okada; various BC-related turns/debuts

Contra Unit MLW debut (fuck yeah)

I posit that a scale from "WCW taped the title change 3 months ago" to "Jim Duggan is in the gorilla suit", we are somewhere around "let's give 'em Mabel". 

As far as WWE they book week to week and even changes happen during the show alot of times so even of tou have a hot angle like Nexus being formed there's no guarantee that we're going to get a proper blow off to it. Summer of Punk was really good until after the MitB match vs Cena. In probably one of the biggest Nash fans here but he had no reason being in that feud other than to Sabotage Punk. Or look at how the followed up Joe vs Brock, they could've had a rematch at Summer Slam or extended the build up for the match to happen at Summerslam in the first place. I'm not saying WWE needs to book months and months ahead of time but there is no endgame to anything in WWE. When the do stick to something it's too obviously forced to the audience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Edwin said:

I know WrestleMania 13 is mostly known for Bret vs. Stone Cold, but that Chicago Street Fight between LOD and Ahmed vs. NOD was a wild and heated feud driven ringside brawl with folks just endlessly getting hit with some nasty weapon shots and some crazy bumps from Faarooq.

Not sure it has aged well but at the time this was a seriously underrated WM match.  This was absolutely LOD's best WWF match period.  Not a show-stealing match but they all completely made the most of it.

39 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

Not sure it has aged well but at the time this was a seriously underrated WM match.  This was absolutely LOD's best WWF match period. Not a show-stealing match but they all completely made the most of it.

Canadian Stampede?

Raven said Billy Corgan will be shutting down the NWA.

"I think Billy’s shutting it down, from what I hear,” Raven said. “From the grapevine, I heard that Billy’s not opening it back up, he’s really disillusioned.”

Surely it would be a significantly different from an expenses/structure perspective Lagana-less given he was like a Borash in TNA wearing all the hats (not least the Ten Pounds of Gold mini-docs which is what put them on the map before the studio show). Where would he even start in tiptoeing through the carny minefield? I mean, Pritchard’s not a free agent now so hope is lost in finding a five-tool player with integrity...

2 minutes ago, Custos said:

Surely it would be a significantly different from an expenses/structure perspective Lagana-less given he was like a Borash in TNA wearing all the hats (not least the Ten Pounds of Gold mini-docs which is what put them on the map before the studio show). Where would he even start in tiptoeing through the carny minefield? I mean, Pritchard’s not a free agent now so hope is lost in finding a five-tool player with integrity...

Let's revisit this in 3-4 months.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Well he didn’t survive 2+ decades without being able to wriggle out of a hole or two. But I grant you, worst RAW ratings of all time is a pretty sizeable hole.

Wasnt a 1.1 rating the running joke for TNA viewership in the mid-00s? Like no matter what they do and who they debut it will never break 1.1? Or was it 1.1m viewership? 

Edit to avoid double post being late to the party: I’m pretty sure Power Slam magazine in the UK introduced a section with humorous comments taken from DVDVR on their letters page sometime 2005-6ish and so I went to the source and mostly lurked since then. My memory may be deficient so perhaps another Brit can corroborate. I think it only lasted a couple of months, maybe because a DVDVR poster slagged off the lack of Lucha content in said magazine. 

Edited by Custos
  • Like 1

If Pritchard doesn't work out role wise..WWE's only other option left is somebody younger than 50. 

Anyway with the one writing team mandate in effect and the plan to do less house shows when they start those back up...one wonders if WWE will eventually end the brand split between Raw and Smackdown. Could help boost the ratings short term.