DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

My Siouxsie jam was Join Hands; I need to get ahold of those albums again since I erased a lot of stuff trying to clean up my computer. And speaking of goth repped on the Driver: Red Lorry Yellow Lorry! (IIRC)

Getting into The Gun Club was more influenced by reading We Got the Neutron Bomb (oral history of LA punk) but I heard them named in the Driver first too. Along with Ernest Tubb, Son House... 

13 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Don't give them any ideas.

BREAKING: (Stamford CT): WWE ANNOUNCES NEW TOUT PRO PLUS.  Receive a 4 second personalized message from Seth Rollins for only $99.99. 10% of which will go to King Corbin himself (Seth Rollin's 10% subject to WWE Licensing and logistics fees).

• Haha 6

17 hours ago, elizium said:

I have the absolute dumbest favourite board memory:

Somehow the topic of clothing came up in the wrestling thread and one guy piped up, saying that when he was 21 he threw out all his t-shirts, jeans, etc. and replaced them with polo shirts and khaki pants because it was time to "dress like an adult."

I have literally thought about that statement at least once a week for, it must be, 8 years now. I did a search and couldn't find it, so it must have been from one of the older versions of the board. I often wonder what happened to him, maybe he's a Proud Boy now?

I REMEMBER THIS FUCKING MOMENT. I DIED.

I remember it because it happened around the time that one dude...Resident Evil? would make these ridiculous posts and always end them with "Gotta go for now, off to the gym." But he'd keep posting for hours. Each post ending with similar "Gotta run".

15 hours ago, RIPPA said:

It’s bugging me now that I am spacing on all the details but the all time best post around here was someone telling the story about how their grandfather pulled a Red Foxx and faked a heart attack because he wasn’t getting enough attention 

Shit I am going to have to search for that post tomorrow 

This I also remember.

One of the funniest  memories I have was waiting in line at a store and this guy was looking at his phone, rattling off a list of wrestling names to his buddy. And after like ten names I realized he was reading off the first ever March Madness brackets that I'd posted the day or two before.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

17 hours ago, Casey said:

I see nobody posted/posts at EWB besides me then, huh? It’s way better than the Grey Dog forums, which is the “official” home of talk about Ryland’s games now (used to be EWB before TEW came out).

I used to be there a lot back in the day, but I kinda stopped playing EWR once my then-new girlfriend got one of the older WWE 2K games for free on Xbox and reintroduced me to them. I hadn't played since SVR 05 so all this Universe Mode stuff kind of scratches that itch.

16 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Joel Gertner called my friend on his birthday and spoke with him for 30 plus mins. $500 for a 2 min shout out is absurd. No parent is spending $500 on their kid for that, no adult would be feeling that bad that they would say "gee, I feel like shit, I'm going to pay $500 for a shout out from Roman Reigns"    I mean it's absolutely outrageous!!!! 

I went to a lot of signings as a kid and I remember some of the non-WWF sponsored ones were pretty outrageously priced, especially for back then, but even then at least you could shake hands and get a poloroid. $500 for a dude to just be like "Hey buddy happy birthday from the big dog" simultaneously seems like an extension of that but also kinda absurd.

• Like 1

I remember a couple of ideas that seemed to become a board group think. One was that punches and stalling where better that MOVEZ!!! the other (and this seemed to be very self loathing at the time) is that wrestlings target audience was gays, children and the mentally handicapped 

Guest Edwin

I know WrestleMania 13 is mostly known for Bret vs. Stone Cold, but that Chicago Street Fight between LOD and Ahmed vs. NOD was a wild and heated feud driven ringside brawl with folks just endlessly getting hit with some nasty weapon shots and some crazy bumps from Faarooq.

3 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

Guys my birthday is at the end of the month and I love Encino Man get Pauly Shore to say Happy Birthday Bud-dy or something.  You can all chip in.

My stepsister met him a few years ago. She was very excited to let everyone know he told her her boobs were huge.

• Haha 4

Yeah, still going, last album was 2014. I think the only thing I ever heard of em was Heading to Tomorrow and didn't like it much. That song above is perfectly fine. 

I'm picky about my power metal though. Never liked Helloween after the first Keeper album, for instance. (Shit, I'm just picky about metal in general, but that's for another thread)

On 7/14/2020 at 8:44 PM, For Great Justice said:

Guys, getting back to pro graps matters at hand, and off the back of the combination of "Raw is stale", "AEW is booking it too safe" and "oh wow NJPW turned EVIL" discussions, can I submit the 2010's as the most safely booked, least surprising decade in forever? 

I will give you:

Nexus debut

Shield debut

Vince's limo explodes

[Daniel Bryan, Edge, Roman Reigns, etc] returns

NJPW debuts and pushes Jay White to the moon

Gedo turns on Okada; various BC-related turns/debuts

Contra Unit MLW debut (fuck yeah)

I posit that a scale from "WCW taped the title change 3 months ago" to "Jim Duggan is in the gorilla suit", we are somewhere around "let's give 'em Mabel". 

As far as WWE they book week to week and even changes happen during the show alot of times so even of tou have a hot angle like Nexus being formed there's no guarantee that we're going to get a proper blow off to it. Summer of Punk was really good until after the MitB match vs Cena. In probably one of the biggest Nash fans here but he had no reason being in that feud other than to Sabotage Punk. Or look at how the followed up Joe vs Brock, they could've had a rematch at Summer Slam or extended the build up for the match to happen at Summerslam in the first place. I'm not saying WWE needs to book months and months ahead of time but there is no endgame to anything in WWE. When the do stick to something it's too obviously forced to the audience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Edwin said:

I know WrestleMania 13 is mostly known for Bret vs. Stone Cold, but that Chicago Street Fight between LOD and Ahmed vs. NOD was a wild and heated feud driven ringside brawl with folks just endlessly getting hit with some nasty weapon shots and some crazy bumps from Faarooq.

Not sure it has aged well but at the time this was a seriously underrated WM match.  This was absolutely LOD's best WWF match period.  Not a show-stealing match but they all completely made the most of it.

39 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

Not sure it has aged well but at the time this was a seriously underrated WM match.  This was absolutely LOD's best WWF match period. Not a show-stealing match but they all completely made the most of it.

Canadian Stampede?