DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Spoiler tag for UpUpDownDown episode results 

In the world of cinematic matches, I’m counting this: Tyler Breeze is currently the best champion in wrestling. 

Edited by OctopusCinema
Typed the title wrong again

I either joined my freshman or sophomore year of college, so sometime between the back half of '00 and the first half of '02. Threaded board, eye bleeding green. No accounts so anyone could pretend to be anyone else if they wanted.

There's random things I half remember. I wish I could remember what topic started this one exchange (maybe liking Mark Henry) but somebody was going off on how whatever opinion was stupid and it was all these new posters saying these dumb things and I responded with something like "I've been here since the board was still threaded, and I think..." And then Schneider popped up quoting me about having started the first "sports" section on the board and he thought the same. 

If only I could remember any details.

Been here since late '99/early 2000. Drew a couple of covers for the video review back in the day. Got in an argument in chat with CM Punk over Palestinian rights. Asked DEAN! about what changes when you get married - "everything and nothing." Times.

I used to be a frequent poster at 411 at the tail end of Scott Keith’s run. Think it must have been 04 when I first joined the DVDVR board as a change of scenery... and it was all because Findlay Martin used to put some of the funniest comments from here in Powerslam magazine.

Wonder how many of my fellow UK brethren did likewise...

I miss Dean's, I think it was him anyway, love of Tegan and Sara.

Tegan and Sara are still awesome. We were going to see them again until all of the quarantine shit happened.

• Like 5

Of the DVDVR music references at the end of issues I'm most ashamed of sitting on Roxy Music, especially when I had local friends into them, but never checked them out for whatever reason until years later. At least I heard "Orgasm Addict" in a record store as a teenager (probably buying a Big Black CD) so already knew that the Buzzcocks were awesome by the time I got around to hearing Singles Going Steady. 

11 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I joined the DVDVR MB in September 2005 as The Crippler. Voluntarily changed my username for obvious reasons. The Natural ever since.

So you’re not a fan of Don Callis’ early Calgary days?

Guest Edwin
2 minutes ago, Infinit said:

I remember there was a really cool detailed thread on lucha history, I think it was authored by @ohtani's jacket? Was it on this board or was it lost on the nuked board?

I'm sure there's a copy of that thread on Pro Wrestling Only.

Guest Edwin
6 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Here you go

Yes! I legit lost it after this as some fan tries to jump Tracy from behind and security stops him and then another shirtless fan tries to do the same and he get stopped.

There's also the clip of a fan stepping in the ring during a Cash Flo entrance at the House of Hardcore and Cash Flo attacking him and then the locker room emptying out to attack the guy while kicking him out if the venue.

IWA-MS was really the sleaziest of the sleaziest indys.

9 hours ago, Casey said:

We should buy him a Britt Baker shout out on Cameo.

I can text or call her anytime I want. I've known her since her training days. Not a fan of her in ring but her new heel character is working well and I congratulated her and wished her success.  You have to wonder though if Tony Khan reads the board and saw the negative comments and made the change.  Could we be responsible for the change?  #bethechange

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Edwin said:

She hit Tracy in the face with the bat and that's when it goes over the top.

There's also a cage match with Bull Pain, Tarek the Great, Sabu, Ian Rotten, etc. and Tracy goes bonkers in it, too. He's punching fools in the face, throwing chairs, pushing and shoving security and fans. It's great.

I began following IWA-MS in 2004 when it got hot with all the big indy names. I had seen the big Hero and Punk matches before then, but that was it. This pre 2004 stuff is great, though.

That IWA-MS ring is embarrassing. Maybe the grossest ring in wrestling history.

2001-2005 is Gold,  They did the heel ref thing a bit too long but outside of that the shows were great. 2002 and 2003 TPI's are amazing shows.  AJ-Daniels from 02 is one of my favorites. I believe that was also the show Ian didn't pay Daniels and it pissed off AJ as he vouched for Ian to Chris.   

8 hours ago, Jiji said:

Oh my gah, that sounds so great. I have IWTV but it seems that show ain't on there (yet?), dammit.

if you have Highspots on demand it's on there. Between Highspots and IWTV you get ALL the good IWA-MS shit.  Which is amazing to me because some of the VHS tapes I'd traded for in the day were shit quality.  

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

Siouxsie and the Banshees (though I really only love Juju, sorry)

You don't like Last Beat of My Heart?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ohtani's jacket said:

If you're talking about the 80s Project thread, I'm afraid I never finished that. 

I was actually talking about the Lucha History Lessons post you did at PWO. I totally thought it was here. It's an incredible wealth of information! 

Thanks for all the work you put into it ????

3 hours ago, AxB said:

You don't like Last Beat of My Heart?

I was talking albums. I'm not a total expert on the discography, but there's driving motion in Juju, pretty much throughout the album, that I don't find in a lot of the other albums. It's a piece of the chemistry that just isn't there so much elsewhere. You get a lot of the other elements, but not that, and without it, I may like some things, but not the way I love Juju as a whole and spend a good chunk of my Octobers every year listening to it in the background while working. 

Edited by Matt D

9 hours ago, Web Conn said:

So you’re not a fan of Don Callis’ early Calgary days?

Winnipeg, actually. Callis never worked Stampede. Other than a couple international tours and some matches here and there, I'm pretty sure he almost exclusively stayed in Manitoba until getting picked up by the WWF.