DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

31 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

What is Johnny Ace had a.chance to haveva hand in the booking of RAW after he came over from WCW an booked long  6 and 8 man tag main events like 90s All Japan to save them from doing alot of the main event singles matches every week. I think it would've helped them in this modern era. With WCW gone there was no need to run PPV quality matchups anymore.

They kinda did that on Raw during the Evolution era with them vs Benoit/Edge/HBK/Shelton 

• Like 2

I see nobody posted/posts at EWB besides me then, huh? It’s way better than the Grey Dog forums, which is the “official” home of talk about Ryland’s games now (used to be EWB before TEW came out).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zartan said:

Never could track down the video posted in the MMA section that took the Bj Penn/Matt Hughes rivalry and turned it in to a love story set to Britney Spears’ “Hit me Baby One More Time”. 

oh my god, i remember seeing that video. haven't had a single thought of it since seconds after it ended.

13 minutes ago, elizium said:

we do not talk about Johnny Polo nearly enough. Johnny Polo and the Quebecers were the best part of 93/94 WWF, that is my thesis.

I really enjoyed Polo on commentary with Gorilla Monsoon on a couple Coliseum Home Videos too.

this thread has me reminiscing about when i signed up here. Best i can come up with is 2002-2003ish. definitely post-Alliance, i'd say sometime during that first brand split probably? lurked for a good long while before posting anything.

10 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

Other DVDVR memories include sponsoring a MMA fighter and my former DVDVR Law posters Sven and DevinIntervention.

That's DISRESPECT~!  I miss Devin and Sven too. 

I've been here since the green and yellow.  Came because of Scheider Comps.  I was banned semi-regularly, usually during the NBA playoffs.  Go figure.  I was actually perma-banned for a while and just lurking until the last time they had to put the whole board back together and I was magically unbanned.  Maybe no one recognizes me as Lawful Metal. 

To be honest I'm surprised I haven't been banned again. 

100% I've used "Number one and the best" and "You gotta be joking me" in trial.  It's on the record.

Spoiler

EeIhkg1.png

I grew up on this board.  Please don't ban me. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, BobbyWhioux said:

I joined cuz of the sleaze thread.

stayed cuz I recognized some people from other rasslin’ boards and because the discourse here was better than anywhere else that I’d been (mostly because not everyone is trying to get themselves over by being the most negative about everything)

It still is.

This amuses me, because I migrated here from tOA because it was so much more positive here. Very well thought out criticisms there that nevertheless boiled down to almost any modern wrestling (back then anyways) sucked. People here actually seemed to enjoy watching WWE, so I stuck around.

2 hours ago, BobbyWhioux said:

@Elsalvajeloco yeah e-feds are a pain in the ass to write matches for and if you have basically any real life responsibilities you don’t have enough time to put shows together with any regularity AND deal with people who get mad when they lose

so you need a lot of assistants, who also have their own booking ideas...

but for the couple months they last they’re pretty fun and I met some wonderfully strange people doing it (which ultimately led me here).

The only people I’ve ever met up with from the internet were from efeds, as we met up in Greensboro to watch Survivor Series 2000 (iirc).

2 hours ago, Zimbra said:

That was my first iteration of the board,  too.  I'm pretty sure I was posting under my embarrassing teen AOL name back then.

I think I finally dropped my old teen name when I registered here. Before that I was “abrookboy” or “abb” on Grandstand and tOA, which was an old high school reference. Jonny Law was taken from a Owen Wilson line in Bottle Rocket.

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

Does any else have DVDVR-isms that have crept into their regular speech?  I use "number one and the best" and "A MILLION BILLION STARS" thanks to Dean.

A guy on UNC message board I frequent just switched his avatar to the same Johnny Cash picture that banned people here get. That threw me off.

I also use ~! and think about the framistan for “meh” even though I can no longer remember it all correctly. Also, wasn’t framistan just a filter for the word “filter?“

Every now and again I think about a.b.murray (or something like that) talking about working on a project to make better fitted hats in xxl sizes. I was pretty pumped about that and was bummed it never panned out. ?

I still think of Craig H as bankholdup.

Edited by JonnyLaw

Guest Edwin

I haven't seen much pre-2004 IWA-MS, but am watching some stuff now on Independent Wrestling TV and it was much crazier than I thought.

Wolfie D shooting on Ox Harley.

Tracy Smothers! Dude was legit nuts. He started a worked/shoot riot brawling with Bobby Eaton.

Edited by Edwin

19 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Trainwreck wasn't bad for a romantic comedy, and Cena was perfect in his role.

Between Trainwreck and Blockers, I’m surprised he hasn’t been booked in more Apatow-esque comedies.

7 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

That's DISRESPECT~!

My deepest apologies, counselor!

9 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

That's DISRESPECT~!  I miss Devin and Sven too. 

I've been here since the green and yellow.  Came because of Scheider Comps.  I was banned semi-regularly, usually during the NBA playoffs.  Go figure.  I was actually perma-banned for a while and just lurking until the last time they had to put the whole board back together and I was magically unbanned.  Maybe no one recognizes me as Lawful Metal. 

To be honest I'm surprised I haven't been banned again. 

100% I've used "Number one and the best" and "You gotta be joking me" in trial.  It's on the record.

Hide contents

EeIhkg1.png

I grew up on this board.  Please don't ban me. 

You have changed quite a bit from when you were younger. Back then everyone would complain about Kurt being Cute, and you'd troll Mag7 by talking about how your girlfriend was Married (to someone who wasn't you).

9 minutes ago, Edwin said:

I haven't seen much pre-2004 IWA-MS, but am watching some stuff now on Independent Wrestling TV and it was much crazier than I thought.

Wolfie D shooting on Ox Harley.

Tracy Smothers! Dude was legit nuts. He started a worked/shoot riot brawling with Bobby Eaton.

2001-2005 IWA-MS is gold

Tracy is one of the nicest guys you can meet. I say it often but for Tracy it has to be said. After a show i was hanging out with SJK and Punk  talking about Tool Bootlegs (circa 2004) and Tracy was at his looking bummed. I went over and bought a shirt (the red one with the confederate flag)  He signed it, pulled me in close and said "you just filled my gas tank, thank you"   After that Tracy would appear with Hamrick every month and he would always ask how I was doing and thank me for supporting him.  30+ yr vet and they don't come any nicer than Tracy. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

So now the beautiful Lexi Kauffman has joined Cameo.  If you thought David Hassellhoff's $300 price was steep, move over because Lexi is charging $400!  That's almost $100 per foot of fury.  Not to be outdone... Roman Reigns is charging $500!!  Yeah I'm sure his fan base really can afford the $500 for a 2 minute video!   

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, AxB said:

You have changed quite a bit from when you were younger. Back then everyone would complain about Kurt being Cute, and you'd troll Mag7 by talking about how your girlfriend was Married (to someone who wasn't you).

I married her and I have six kids.  Jokes on him!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

Cena was the only good thing about Trainwreck

Not a Marv Albert fan? LeBron was MVP of that flick.

So I haven’t seen I Look Pretty but I watched Trainwreck and the one with Goldie Han and they weren’t bad movies:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

So now the beautiful Lexi Kauffman has joined Cameo.  If you thought David Hassellhoff's $300 price was steep, move over because Lexi is charging $400!  That's almost $100 per foot of fury.  Not to be outdone... Roman Reigns is charging $500!!  Yeah I'm sure his fan base really can afford the $500 for a 2 minute video!   

Effy is like $15. And last month he was donating all proceeds to a charity for black homeless trans people (this month he's donating it to his landlord, in the form of rent).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AxB said:

Effy is like $15. And last month he was donating all proceeds to a charity for black homeless trans people (this month he's donating it to his landlord, in the form of rent).

Joel Gertner called my friend on his birthday and spoke with him for 30 plus mins. $500 for a 2 min shout out is absurd. No parent is spending $500 on their kid for that, no adult would be feeling that bad that they would say "gee, I feel like shit, I'm going to pay $500 for a shout out from Roman Reigns"    I mean it's absolutely outrageous!!!! 

• Thanks 2

Some people have more money than sense. If Lesnar sets up a Cameo and charges $100,000 that one guy will still buy one. And he'll tweet it, and it will be this:

I'm Brock Lesnar, and this is me giving a shout out to the Brock Lesnar guy (does the pose. Pause. Stare at camera)  How do you turn this thing off?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

When I first tentatively lurked here and even more shakily posted my first question about Megumi Kudo back in late '99 I was juuuuust getting back into wrestling after having "grown out of it" around '89 or so and missed most of everything in the nineties.  I had recently seen a clip of Foley promos and another of the infamous "chopee your peepee" bit on like real player and thought "I think there might be something here speaking profoundly to my dramatic sensibilities...."

I had a lot of catching up to do. I literally knew nothing not just about recent WWE history, or about Japan, Mexico, ECW, WCW or anything else.  Hell, since my initial childhood fandom had ended while still in late childhood, and well before the internet, I still had no idea about what "wrestling" was other than the same basic "It's fake" maybe with a qualifying "but hey a 300 pound guy jumping off a turnbuckle onto another 300 pound guy and somehow not hurting each other is still impressive, right?" that I had when I was 11 (along with a stubborn instinctive understanding that it was always Piper and Macho who really mattered).

As I was being pulled into this miraculous modern comedia dell'arte/improvised stunt show/soap opera/concert/geek show that is wrestling and peeling the layers of things about it that are astounding, disgusting, fascinating, and still mysterious, it was crazy how quickly DVDVR board jumped out as the only place in that era of IWC that captured the depth and breadth of all that mystery and history and somehow managed not to be snobby (or at least not for too long on any one idea before a corrective streak of shame and contrarianism kicked in), not to be gross and un-inclusive, to always be sneakily intellectually challenging while playing charmingly dumb, and to be a place where even I felt I could occasionally post with my next-to-nothing actual knowledge of wrestling and my tendency to favor the drama and schtick of it over the w*rkr%te without getting blasted for it.

Shit I don't think I can name many other things in my life I've stuck with without getting bored of or disillusioned about for 21 months let alone 21 years. Maybe the movie MEATBALLS and the t.v. show COLUMBO.

DVDVR, MEATBALLS, and COLUMBO are the things we should have sent up in Voyager.

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Joel Gertner called my friend on his birthday and spoke with him for 30 plus mins. $500 for a 2 min shout out is absurd. No parent is spending $500 on their kid for that, no adult would be feeling that bad that they would say "gee, I feel like shit, I'm going to pay $500 for a shout out from Roman Reigns"    I mean it's absolutely outrageous!!!! 

Honestly, the most outrageous thing for Reigns choosing $500 for the price tag was- when it was leaked pro wrestlers were doing Cameo, didn't Drake Maverick's charge $500 for Cameos as part of a plot point for his gimmick of stodgy jerk heel he was doing (for a "I get $500 to get out of bed in the morning, you want a piece of me you pay this much?")

While a top-name WWE star might be $500 worthy, it's kind of bad optics to use the same price of the "stuck up heel on this uses for heel heat" unironically as your pricetag.

1 minute ago, (BP) said:

Meatballs was definitely sent up, and the message was received. 

C314-C8-EF-8-C20-4549-A085-E388875-FED3-

THis movie also changed me.

Running out immediately and renting this the day it became available and running home and watching it and in the first half hour a little voice in my head beginning to grow louder whispering:

"wait...but...maybe...okay...so movies can sometimes be...bad...and sometimes bad people can take something that is beautiful and destroy it...but why?"

By minute 57 it is louder...

"so...either incompetence or carelessness or they had bad intentions to start with.  What if most people most of the time are like this instead of the good way..."

By the closing credits I was running back to the store to buy the Repo Man soundtrack and was screaming out loud;

"HOW CAN YOU SAY WHAT MY BEST INTEREST IS? HOW DO YOU KNOW WHAT MY BEST INTEREST IS????"

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Guest Edwin
39 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Mayweather is charing $1,000.

1 hour ago, elizium said:

Somehow the topic of clothing came up in the wrestling thread and one guy piped up, saying that when he was 21 he threw out all his t-shirts, jeans, etc. and replaced them with polo shirts and khaki pants because it was time to "dress like an adult."

I totally remember that. My reaction was that this is a special kind of weirdo that has not yet been recorded in the wild. 

One can definitely visualize Lesnar not knowing how to turn off the video screen and just throwing the computer at the wall instead. 

If you haven't seen the Tracy Smothers riot in IWA-MS you haven't lived. "Tracy... Tracy... TRACY! Oh goddammit..."