DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Speaking of old forums, what happened to the fantasy wrestling board? Lack of participation? People no longer giving a shit about E-Feds? Too much work? All the boards I mentioned and didn't mention specifically above that I was a part of had one. I remember the one here and the one from The Mayhem because those were above and beyond the shit you use to see on ProBoards.

Winnipagan was running it, but I was writing the matches. Started out just writing a few, but he realised I was better at it than he was and started giving me all the main events. And then the semi-finals. And the midcard matches. And then the card would be late because he hadn't written the opening match, so I'd write that too. Which worked for a while, but he started fucking with angles I was booking in order to put his own guys over at my expense, which pissed me off. Then he posted a 'Next show' card on the Monday, spent all week refusing to tell me which matches to write and who was winning each one (and I was asking), then on Friday afternoon asked me to write six matches (and I could only write one a day at best)... and posted on the board that the card was going up on Sunday and definitely wouldn't be late. Even though he knew I could only write matches on weekdays, because I'm a weekend parent (and my Son was like 5 years old at the time). So I quit.

A month later nothing had happened, so I stole the head booker position. But the momentum had gone... and loads of people had stopped participating before all of that happened anyway, but Chris was still using their characters, and pushing them above people who were posting promos regularly. But the month of complete silence more or less sucked everyone else's enthusiasm away. So it died shortly thereafter.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Does any else have DVDVR-isms that have crept into their regular speech?  I use "number one and the best" and "A MILLION BILLION STARS" thanks to Dean.

I use "More songs about (thing) and (other thing)" sometimes. Even if it's just like saying "More songs about Fuck and Off", instead of saying the simpler version "Fuck Off".

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AxB said:

Winnipagan was running it, but I was writing the matches. Started out just writing a few, but he realised I was better at it than he was and started giving me all the main events. And then the semi-finals. And the midcard matches. And then the card would be late because he hadn't written the opening match, so I'd write that too. Which worked for a while, but he started fucking with angles I was booking in order to put his own guys over at my expense, which pissed me off. Then he posted a 'Next show' card on the Monday, spent all week refusing to tell me which matches to write and who was winning each one (and I was asking), then on Friday afternoon asked me to write six matches (and I could only write one a day at best)... and posted on the board that the card was going up on Sunday and definitely wouldn't be late. Even though he knew I could only write matches on weekdays, because I'm a weekend parent (and my Son was like 5 years old at the time). So I quit.

A month later nothing had happened, so I stole the head booker position. But the momentum had gone... and loads of people had stopped participating before all of that happened anyway, but Chris was still using their characters, and pushing them above people who were posting promos regularly. But the month of complete silence more or less sucked everyone else's enthusiasm away. So it died shortly thereafter.

Yeah, this sounds about right.

• Thanks 1

If we're reminiscing, I'm just going to leave this here:

• Love Goddess Amy

Thank god I was in a relationship at the time. So many guys just fell all over themselves at the concept. And it was just Lacelle acting up, because he was upset someone called him ugly.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, AxB said:

I use "More songs about (thing) and (other thing)" sometimes. Even if it's just like saying "More songs about Fuck and Off", instead of saying the simpler version "Fuck Off".

I miss the Talking Heads album names as titles.  Especially that the one after "Speaking in Tongues" was "You really don't need to listen to any of the others" or something like that.

I've been here since I had internet in my office at work. Searching for Japanese wrestling content brought me here. Japanese wrestling content still brings me here. I contributed to the sleaze thread. In re-reading it recently, I was restrained from naming names in most cases. I wouldn't know anything about WWE without the monthly threads here. One more thing, I'm loving the blood sucking freaks thread. Bye.

53 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Does any else have DVDVR-isms that have crept into their regular speech?  I use "number one and the best" and "A MILLION BILLION STARS" thanks to Dean.

I'll use ~! in texts if I'm really excited about something.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

What is Johnny Ace had a.chance to haveva hand in the booking of RAW after he came over from WCW an booked long  6 and 8 man tag main events like 90s All Japan to save them from doing alot of the main event singles matches every week. I think it would've helped them in this modern era. With WCW gone there was no need to run PPV quality matchups anymore.

Guys, getting back to pro graps matters at hand, and off the back of the combination of "Raw is stale", "AEW is booking it too safe" and "oh wow NJPW turned EVIL" discussions, can I submit the 2010's as the most safely booked, least surprising decade in forever? 

I will give you:

Nexus debut

Shield debut

Vince's limo explodes

[Daniel Bryan, Edge, Roman Reigns, etc] returns

NJPW debuts and pushes Jay White to the moon

Gedo turns on Okada; various BC-related turns/debuts

Contra Unit MLW debut (fuck yeah)

I posit that a scale from "WCW taped the title change 3 months ago" to "Jim Duggan is in the gorilla suit", we are somewhere around "let's give 'em Mabel". 

1 hour ago, Log said:

Hey, I’m sorry. I don’t know you and shouldn’t make assumptions about you based on your political affiliations. 

Don't worry dude I wasn't offended. I'm actually a pro-gay rights, pro-BLM, pro-mask-wearing, anti-Confederacy Republican. And there are actually more of us than either Fox News or MSNBC would have you believe. 

• Like 5

I can’t remember when I joined or how I got here, but I’ve always found it a pleasant oasis on the shitsea that is the internet. I have frequently used “number one and the best” in real life.

Snowden blocked me on twitter after a back & forth where I was defending one of my teammates, I’m pretty sure it was Al Iaquinta. 

Just now, WholeFnMachine said:

I can’t remember when I joined or how I got here, but I’ve always found it a pleasant oasis on the shitsea that is the internet. I have frequently used “number one and the best” in real life.

Snowden blocked me on twitter after a back & forth where I was defending one of my teammates, I’m pretty sure it was Al Iaquinta. 

As much I am not a fan of Weidman for ending the Anderson Silva era as a one time Anderson Silva super fan, it's very hard to dislike the Serra/Longo guys. They've been one of the most consistently strong gyms despite the reemergence of these MMA super teams.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Web Conn said:

Yo @Smelly McUgly have you seen Trainwreck? Cuz what you described is pretty much his role in that movie just swap Topher Grace with Bill Hader and you got the movie.

Cena was the only good thing about Trainwreck

I have the absolute dumbest favourite board memory:

Somehow the topic of clothing came up in the wrestling thread and one guy piped up, saying that when he was 21 he threw out all his t-shirts, jeans, etc. and replaced them with polo shirts and khaki pants because it was time to "dress like an adult."

I have literally thought about that statement at least once a week for, it must be, 8 years now. I did a search and couldn't find it, so it must have been from one of the older versions of the board. I often wonder what happened to him, maybe he's a Proud Boy now?

And as a side note, since I searched it, we do not talk about Johnny Polo nearly enough. Johnny Polo and the Quebecers were the best part of 93/94 WWF, that is my thesis.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 7
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

As much I am not a fan of Weidman for ending the Anderson Silva era as a one time Anderson Silva super fan, it's very hard to dislike the Serra/Longo guys. They've been one of the most consistently strong gyms despite the reemergence of these MMA super teams.

Thank You for that man, very kind of you to say. It’s really a top down thing, as Matt is one of the most genuinely good people you could ever want to know. And just a phenomenal instructor, his BJJ knowledge is just otherworldly. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Oh God no, I don't subject myself to Amy Schumer.

But that sounds like the perfect role for him. 

Trainwreck wasn't bad for a romantic comedy, and Cena was perfect in his role.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

What is Johnny Ace had a.chance to haveva hand in the booking of RAW after he came over from WCW an booked long  6 and 8 man tag main events like 90s All Japan to save them from doing alot of the main event singles matches every week. I think it would've helped them in this modern era. With WCW gone there was no need to run PPV quality matchups anymore.

They kinda did that on Raw during the Evolution era with them vs Benoit/Edge/HBK/Shelton 

• Like 2

I see nobody posted/posts at EWB besides me then, huh? It’s way better than the Grey Dog forums, which is the “official” home of talk about Ryland’s games now (used to be EWB before TEW came out).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zartan said:

Never could track down the video posted in the MMA section that took the Bj Penn/Matt Hughes rivalry and turned it in to a love story set to Britney Spears’ “Hit me Baby One More Time”. 

oh my god, i remember seeing that video. haven't had a single thought of it since seconds after it ended.

13 minutes ago, elizium said:

we do not talk about Johnny Polo nearly enough. Johnny Polo and the Quebecers were the best part of 93/94 WWF, that is my thesis.

I really enjoyed Polo on commentary with Gorilla Monsoon on a couple Coliseum Home Videos too.

this thread has me reminiscing about when i signed up here. Best i can come up with is 2002-2003ish. definitely post-Alliance, i'd say sometime during that first brand split probably? lurked for a good long while before posting anything.

10 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

Other DVDVR memories include sponsoring a MMA fighter and my former DVDVR Law posters Sven and DevinIntervention.

That's DISRESPECT~!  I miss Devin and Sven too. 

I've been here since the green and yellow.  Came because of Scheider Comps.  I was banned semi-regularly, usually during the NBA playoffs.  Go figure.  I was actually perma-banned for a while and just lurking until the last time they had to put the whole board back together and I was magically unbanned.  Maybe no one recognizes me as Lawful Metal. 

To be honest I'm surprised I haven't been banned again. 

100% I've used "Number one and the best" and "You gotta be joking me" in trial.  It's on the record.

Spoiler

EeIhkg1.png

I grew up on this board.  Please don't ban me. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, BobbyWhioux said:

I joined cuz of the sleaze thread.

stayed cuz I recognized some people from other rasslin’ boards and because the discourse here was better than anywhere else that I’d been (mostly because not everyone is trying to get themselves over by being the most negative about everything)

It still is.

This amuses me, because I migrated here from tOA because it was so much more positive here. Very well thought out criticisms there that nevertheless boiled down to almost any modern wrestling (back then anyways) sucked. People here actually seemed to enjoy watching WWE, so I stuck around.

2 hours ago, BobbyWhioux said:

@Elsalvajeloco yeah e-feds are a pain in the ass to write matches for and if you have basically any real life responsibilities you don’t have enough time to put shows together with any regularity AND deal with people who get mad when they lose

so you need a lot of assistants, who also have their own booking ideas...

but for the couple months they last they’re pretty fun and I met some wonderfully strange people doing it (which ultimately led me here).

The only people I’ve ever met up with from the internet were from efeds, as we met up in Greensboro to watch Survivor Series 2000 (iirc).

2 hours ago, Zimbra said:

That was my first iteration of the board,  too.  I'm pretty sure I was posting under my embarrassing teen AOL name back then.

I think I finally dropped my old teen name when I registered here. Before that I was “abrookboy” or “abb” on Grandstand and tOA, which was an old high school reference. Jonny Law was taken from a Owen Wilson line in Bottle Rocket.

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

A guy on UNC message board I frequent just switched his avatar to the same Johnny Cash picture that banned people here get. That threw me off.

I also use ~! and think about the framistan for “meh” even though I can no longer remember it all correctly. Also, wasn’t framistan just a filter for the word “filter?“

Every now and again I think about a.b.murray (or something like that) talking about working on a project to make better fitted hats in xxl sizes. I was pretty pumped about that and was bummed it never panned out. ?

I still think of Craig H as bankholdup.

Edited by JonnyLaw

Guest Edwin

I haven't seen much pre-2004 IWA-MS, but am watching some stuff now on Independent Wrestling TV and it was much crazier than I thought.

Wolfie D shooting on Ox Harley.

Tracy Smothers! Dude was legit nuts. He started a worked/shoot riot brawling with Bobby Eaton.

Edited by Edwin