DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

This is why we need a DVDVR census because I still don't know how many black people we have, and I've been here at least fifteen years now. There is myself, Burgundy, supremebve, MADCAP since we got into a huge argument one time about blackness/race, and I think Execproducer (who can correct me if I'm wrong). Obviously, J.T.. There has to be more. That's five at least or maybe six though. 

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned being black at least once or twice.

8 minutes ago, DangerMark said:

I also remember @Eivion having a surname at one point. 

Its Thanatos. I still use it for PSN. I just dropped it here after the last time the board died horribly years ago.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eivion said:

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned being black at least once or twice.

Wait, what? I sure as hell missed that. Then again, I've already told you guys which subforums I frequent.

• Like 2

Guest Edwin

This is why we need a DVDVR census because I still don't know how many black people we have, and I've been here at least fifteen years now. There is myself, Burgundy, supremebve, MADCAP since we got into a huge argument one time about blackness/race, and I think Execproducer (who can correct me if I'm wrong). Obviously, J.T.. There has to be more. That's five at least or maybe six though. There isn't the same number of women? 

White latino here. Born in Boston to Puerto Rican parents and no, I don't have a conga drum or Puerto Rican flag tattoos. ??‍♂️?

Edited by Edwin

24 minutes ago, The Great ML said:

Lol, I’ll pretend you said 18...with Perverted Justice camcorder footage of RF on the run...and Bob Barnett supplying footage of it with each purchase from his site.

Latina floppies and bacon strip.

Mark Henry, super-worker

When PRIDE event results were posted in the MMA forum.

The death of tape trading.

Pics of Scott Keith that surfaced online.

Being like the third or fourth to post in the Sleaze Thread.

....good times.

Preferred the RF footage set to Flock of Seagulls “I ran” that was posted here. 

Never could track down the video posted in the MMA section that took the Bj Penn/Matt Hughes rivalry and turned it in to a love story set to Britney Spears’ “Hit me Baby One More Time”. 

• Like 1

replying to multiple questions!

"______ will die for your sins" is the one I do most consciously, as well as "fuck or fight friday night" and a couple of more specific phrases that are more like references to events on this board that I'll decline to state at this time.

I came to the board like two days before the sleaze thread and was told by the person who brought me here to just lurk and not mention how I got here or who referred me. In their defense I was a kid that was MUCH more prone to moodswings.

and yeah i was one of the match writers for two different attempts at the DVDVR fed. If anyone wanted to bring the shit back I think doing it via Fire Pro is the move cuz that way you can cut promos and then no one has to write matches, but I advocated for that the last time bringing the fed back came up and got a big fat No, so.

EDIT: lmao this is my 2000th post

Edited by Lamp, broken circa 1988
  • Like 3

I miss Rev Ray's Big Book of Wrestling Moves.  Before you could just find gifs or videos of everything I spent a long time reading that and trying to picture weird puro moves.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Speaking of old forums, what happened to the fantasy wrestling board? Lack of participation? People no longer giving a shit about E-Feds? Too much work? All the boards I mentioned and didn't mention specifically above that I was a part of had one. I remember the one here and the one from The Mayhem because those were above and beyond the shit you use to see on ProBoards.

Winnipagan was running it, but I was writing the matches. Started out just writing a few, but he realised I was better at it than he was and started giving me all the main events. And then the semi-finals. And the midcard matches. And then the card would be late because he hadn't written the opening match, so I'd write that too. Which worked for a while, but he started fucking with angles I was booking in order to put his own guys over at my expense, which pissed me off. Then he posted a 'Next show' card on the Monday, spent all week refusing to tell me which matches to write and who was winning each one (and I was asking), then on Friday afternoon asked me to write six matches (and I could only write one a day at best)... and posted on the board that the card was going up on Sunday and definitely wouldn't be late. Even though he knew I could only write matches on weekdays, because I'm a weekend parent (and my Son was like 5 years old at the time). So I quit.

A month later nothing had happened, so I stole the head booker position. But the momentum had gone... and loads of people had stopped participating before all of that happened anyway, but Chris was still using their characters, and pushing them above people who were posting promos regularly. But the month of complete silence more or less sucked everyone else's enthusiasm away. So it died shortly thereafter.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Does any else have DVDVR-isms that have crept into their regular speech?  I use "number one and the best" and "A MILLION BILLION STARS" thanks to Dean.

I use "More songs about (thing) and (other thing)" sometimes. Even if it's just like saying "More songs about Fuck and Off", instead of saying the simpler version "Fuck Off".

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AxB said:

Winnipagan was running it, but I was writing the matches. Started out just writing a few, but he realised I was better at it than he was and started giving me all the main events. And then the semi-finals. And the midcard matches. And then the card would be late because he hadn't written the opening match, so I'd write that too. Which worked for a while, but he started fucking with angles I was booking in order to put his own guys over at my expense, which pissed me off. Then he posted a 'Next show' card on the Monday, spent all week refusing to tell me which matches to write and who was winning each one (and I was asking), then on Friday afternoon asked me to write six matches (and I could only write one a day at best)... and posted on the board that the card was going up on Sunday and definitely wouldn't be late. Even though he knew I could only write matches on weekdays, because I'm a weekend parent (and my Son was like 5 years old at the time). So I quit.

A month later nothing had happened, so I stole the head booker position. But the momentum had gone... and loads of people had stopped participating before all of that happened anyway, but Chris was still using their characters, and pushing them above people who were posting promos regularly. But the month of complete silence more or less sucked everyone else's enthusiasm away. So it died shortly thereafter.

Yeah, this sounds about right.

• Thanks 1

If we're reminiscing, I'm just going to leave this here:

• Love Goddess Amy

Thank god I was in a relationship at the time. So many guys just fell all over themselves at the concept. And it was just Lacelle acting up, because he was upset someone called him ugly.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, AxB said:

I use "More songs about (thing) and (other thing)" sometimes. Even if it's just like saying "More songs about Fuck and Off", instead of saying the simpler version "Fuck Off".

I miss the Talking Heads album names as titles.  Especially that the one after "Speaking in Tongues" was "You really don't need to listen to any of the others" or something like that.

I've been here since I had internet in my office at work. Searching for Japanese wrestling content brought me here. Japanese wrestling content still brings me here. I contributed to the sleaze thread. In re-reading it recently, I was restrained from naming names in most cases. I wouldn't know anything about WWE without the monthly threads here. One more thing, I'm loving the blood sucking freaks thread. Bye.

53 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Does any else have DVDVR-isms that have crept into their regular speech?  I use "number one and the best" and "A MILLION BILLION STARS" thanks to Dean.

I'll use ~! in texts if I'm really excited about something.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

What is Johnny Ace had a.chance to haveva hand in the booking of RAW after he came over from WCW an booked long  6 and 8 man tag main events like 90s All Japan to save them from doing alot of the main event singles matches every week. I think it would've helped them in this modern era. With WCW gone there was no need to run PPV quality matchups anymore.

Guys, getting back to pro graps matters at hand, and off the back of the combination of "Raw is stale", "AEW is booking it too safe" and "oh wow NJPW turned EVIL" discussions, can I submit the 2010's as the most safely booked, least surprising decade in forever? 

I will give you:

Nexus debut

Shield debut

Vince's limo explodes

[Daniel Bryan, Edge, Roman Reigns, etc] returns

NJPW debuts and pushes Jay White to the moon

Gedo turns on Okada; various BC-related turns/debuts

Contra Unit MLW debut (fuck yeah)

I posit that a scale from "WCW taped the title change 3 months ago" to "Jim Duggan is in the gorilla suit", we are somewhere around "let's give 'em Mabel". 

1 hour ago, Log said:

Hey, I’m sorry. I don’t know you and shouldn’t make assumptions about you based on your political affiliations. 

Don't worry dude I wasn't offended. I'm actually a pro-gay rights, pro-BLM, pro-mask-wearing, anti-Confederacy Republican. And there are actually more of us than either Fox News or MSNBC would have you believe. 

• Like 5

I can’t remember when I joined or how I got here, but I’ve always found it a pleasant oasis on the shitsea that is the internet. I have frequently used “number one and the best” in real life.

Snowden blocked me on twitter after a back & forth where I was defending one of my teammates, I’m pretty sure it was Al Iaquinta. 

Just now, WholeFnMachine said:

I can’t remember when I joined or how I got here, but I’ve always found it a pleasant oasis on the shitsea that is the internet. I have frequently used “number one and the best” in real life.

Snowden blocked me on twitter after a back & forth where I was defending one of my teammates, I’m pretty sure it was Al Iaquinta. 

As much I am not a fan of Weidman for ending the Anderson Silva era as a one time Anderson Silva super fan, it's very hard to dislike the Serra/Longo guys. They've been one of the most consistently strong gyms despite the reemergence of these MMA super teams.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Web Conn said:

Yo @Smelly McUgly have you seen Trainwreck? Cuz what you described is pretty much his role in that movie just swap Topher Grace with Bill Hader and you got the movie.

Cena was the only good thing about Trainwreck

I have the absolute dumbest favourite board memory:

Somehow the topic of clothing came up in the wrestling thread and one guy piped up, saying that when he was 21 he threw out all his t-shirts, jeans, etc. and replaced them with polo shirts and khaki pants because it was time to "dress like an adult."

I have literally thought about that statement at least once a week for, it must be, 8 years now. I did a search and couldn't find it, so it must have been from one of the older versions of the board. I often wonder what happened to him, maybe he's a Proud Boy now?

And as a side note, since I searched it, we do not talk about Johnny Polo nearly enough. Johnny Polo and the Quebecers were the best part of 93/94 WWF, that is my thesis.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 7
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

As much I am not a fan of Weidman for ending the Anderson Silva era as a one time Anderson Silva super fan, it's very hard to dislike the Serra/Longo guys. They've been one of the most consistently strong gyms despite the reemergence of these MMA super teams.

Thank You for that man, very kind of you to say. It’s really a top down thing, as Matt is one of the most genuinely good people you could ever want to know. And just a phenomenal instructor, his BJJ knowledge is just otherworldly. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Oh God no, I don't subject myself to Amy Schumer.

But that sounds like the perfect role for him. 

Trainwreck wasn't bad for a romantic comedy, and Cena was perfect in his role.

• Like 1