DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

58 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I will ever remember Rich for putting Chris Simms in the Top 10 one of his mock drafts. Still makes me laugh

He is currently one of the like 3 active posters over at TOA

Oh man, I remember joining TOA at one point, so I thought I'd check it out after you mentioned it and the main site has a poll: "The next 'real' ECW champion will be" with the tag "This poll expires on July 16, 2006" but is still counting votes.

Who was the guy who bragged about how he couldn't be banned because he knew how to just keep re-registering and using a VPN? I remember getting really pissed off every time he showed back up because for years I had some kind of issue getting my account email confirmed to the point I thought the board was invite-only

Lance outside WWF/E wasn't bad. Great athleticism, decent technical stuff. But he might be the worst striker in major pro wrestling history, and in WWE that really stood out because they mostly just asked him to punch and kick.

Just now, Brian Fowler said:

Lance outside WWF/E wasn't bad. Great athleticism, decent technical stuff. But he might be the worst striker in major pro wrestling history, and in WWE that really stood out because they mostly just asked him to punch and kick.

At least WWF Lance gave us that match where he accidentally bloodied Regal's nose with a dropkick so Regal stiffed the shit out of him for the rest of the match.  That kinda ruled.

5 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

At least WWF Lance gave us that match where he accidentally bloodied Regal's nose with a dropkick so Regal stiffed the shit out of him for the rest of the match.  That kinda ruled.

This is all we need:

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, (BP) said:

Who was that surly old guy who just kept bringing up how much he could bench apropos of nothing? I don’t know if he got Cashed. He might’ve overdosed on rhino horn T-replacement. 

I think that was the aforementioned stro but I am not 100% sure

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

Power Plant grad

You don't really graduate the Power Plant as much they get sick of you and decide to put you in the ring well before you're ready.

Speaking of that, I was watching New Jack's interview that DJ Vlad posted in several parts. Two things stuck out like a sore thumb to me. Maybe three. First, I think some of that brain damage has kinda soaked in on New Jack because he doesn't seem as mentally sharp as he use to be. He's a little bit slow on his delivery now so it's a bit sad to see.

Second, if you know about DJ Vlad and his interviews of all these celebs across entertainment, his shit is like a deposition. He tries to get you to snitch on yourself and others. That's why I don't like really watching his interviews. I say all this because I think New Jack knows about this dude's reputation even if he has access to just about everyone and Jack was clearly reserved on everything. There is a CRAZY amount of cuts in the interview and you can tell Vlad is pulling teeth to get him to answer questions (again, it doesn't help Vlad asks his questions like a fucking cop in the interview room). Everything from Jack is a short, simple answer with little to no detail. It looks like he got a little bit frisky by the clips Vlad posted today, but it was still pretty strange how New Jack really chose his words super carefully. I've never seen him do that.

Lastly, New Jack mentioned his start about being trained by Ray Candy and going to WCW shows in Atlanta (probably around 91/92) to sit in the cheap seats to take notes. He also mentioned a guy by the name of Melvin, no last name. This is the first time I've heard of him being trained by anyone other than Ray Candy. Is this Melvin the guy they gave the name Melvin Hagler (pretty sure it was due to his likeness to Marvelous Marvin Hagler) to and did one job on WCW television in 95?

45d50180c3b70e004225fffb82771b7c6e4e6321

Is there any other black wrestler named Melvin be it kayfabe or shoot name?

In my senior year in high school I emailed WCW trying to get info about the Power Plant, not because I was ever going to go, just being a dumb fan trying to dig for info. I was curious to try and get literally anything about the inner workings of this school that seemingly produced no one. They sent me back a generic "finish school and then we'll talk, kid" response, lol

• Haha 1

While I'm feeling nostalgic for all things DVDVR I want to give a shout out to @piranesi

Batista fashion watch is/was/always will be nothing short of incredible.

Any chance of firing up the analyzer? For old time's sake?

Dave Bautista [\spoiler]

Edited by L_W_P
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Doc Townsend said:

Not DVDVR, but my favorite "someone in the biz posts here" was Cuzican on the Puroresufan boards about 15 years ago.  She was apparently Scott Norton's wife.  She seemed mostly laid back, until someone criticized Scott or someone in the locker room.  Then she went into Mama Wolverine mode.

She was nice to everyone not named Josh Barnett.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
4 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The fact that the number of former board posters who faked their own death is a number greater than zero still amazes me

Does that count those who would be perfectly fine if previous versions of themselves that weren't presenting as their actual gender were presumed dead? Because that seems like a different circumstance.

... asking for a friend. (that friend is me.)

9 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The fact that the number of former board posters who faked their own death is a number greater than zero still amazes me

Who was that? Milkman?

• Thanks 1

No as in the cases (and yes it was plural) I am referring too it wasn’t a cause for celebration as opposed to those who are finally able to live their true selves 

• Like 2

::casually looking the other way and avoiding the talk of past board drama::

Becky/Charlotte/Sasha all debuted five years ago today. There are very few times in wrestling history when you can clearly see a moment in time when everything was going to change. But this was certainly one of them. I'm sure that when this happened many people snarked on it and said it wasn't going to last. I'm sure that I over was overenthusiastic in its praise.

Maybe the initial debuts could have been done in-story a bit better. Maybe Paige finds two recruits to help her even the odds against Team Bella while Naomi does the same the next week and brings in Sasha. But it doesn't really matter. That's an iconic screen cap. Becky caught lightning in a bottle and became the biggest star in pro wrestling for a while and headlined WrestleMania. Charlotte was a fantastic foil in getting to that same moment. Sasha and Bayley are stealing every show they've been on and have become the face of the WWE since the pandemic began. 

It's now not a thing anymore if women headline Raw or Smackdown. I don't even know if it's a big deal if they headline a PPV. I'm disappointed if a big woman's match doesn't deliver. I'm not disappointed too much.

It's just so insane to see how different women's wrestling looks today compared to this moment. The Divas title is no longer. The worst woman active on the roster is probably Lacey Evans, who is just green and is actively improving. Maybe Nia Jax, as if there haven't been 10,000 uncoordinated big dudes throwing people around over history showing up on shows? 

It has been an awesome five years and I am so glad that WWE women's wrestling is no longer something I'm ashamed to have on my television screen and something I actively seek out and watch. 

• Like 2