DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Guest Edwin

I tried opening the Samoe Joe politics thread, but Archive just linked me to a 2011 thread about Josh Abercrombie debuting in AAA and @Ryan quoting a blog from Josh's MySpace where he says he got concussed in his debut match. 

3 hours ago, Edwin said:

Is the annoying Snowden dude on Twitter the AFKA Evil Clown around these parts?

Yes, sir.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

And Faithless Shitbum is maybe the name on here that made me laugh the hardest. I mean, the story for Charlie M losing the bet is funny to begin with, but Faithless Shitbum is such a fucking funny combination of words to the point where I've used it with my friends while we're playing games and stuff. It never fails to get a laugh.

Sorry for another trip down memory lane question, but who was Napao's Satchel Jockey before they lost their bet and had to take that name? I'd imagine Elsa knows.

I have not the slightest clue, brother. Your memory is clearly much better than mine. Apparently, the search function and also a cursory Google search shows you having a convo with @AxB in the original AEW thread is the only trace left. 

I don't think it was epwar because he PM'd to tell me he was leaving the board. No reason given. glfpunk disappeared without a trace. Maybe some of the Virginia people could fill me in on that one. Nenz is still around every so often, he just doesn't post (or respond to the PM I recently sent him for that matter). I text with sprewellrimz every goddamn day so that explains him. I don't recall anyone else besides the former Total MMA crew other than Naimark who I use to get into it with about Jon Jones every few months and he would use Jon's erratic and reckless behavior as an excuse to post some passive aggressive racist shit. I don't miss that at all. Oh, was DeadandRestless also Alan Conceicao? Cause we use to converse on Twitter for a little bit and he said he posted here. I think that was D&R because Conceicao is a big boxing and old school MMA fan, and D&R started the original Random Boxing Thoughts thread before me. When he came back briefly, he also reviewed old KOTC DVDs. So I'm 75 percent sure it's him unless someone corrects me.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

Quoted the wrong post so I will use this space to highlight some of my favorite times on DVDVR:

- Cesaro winning March Madness
- WWE as a Dragon Ball parody
- Ben books Bunkhouse Buck
- The eternal debate over best punches
- Do missile dropkicks make a better worker?
- Mark Henry
- Brown Snowman/Brave Stonemason/Bring Stuffhome

i found this place after posting on the Online Onslaught forums. I was looking for a picture of Sean O'Haire (when he was way out of shape) and the Google machine lead me here.

It's all the little things but I really love this place sometimes ?

Edited by L_W_P
  • Like 3

Dev the Clown or whatever the name was, was a member of this board right? I'm pretty sure my first interaction with DVDVR (green board edition) was signing up here specifically to troll him.

47 minutes ago, OctopusCinema said:

Dad, tell me a story. What’s the legend behind March Madness and why they are no longer being done? Too much infighting? Too long? Murder?

Cesaro beat Danial Bryan that one year so the whole board had to be blown up and rebuilt.

Random memory: Rich (who I always liked, for the record) going off about adults wearing sports jerseys, only for someone to bring up a post from him like six months earlier saying he had aDaryll Johnston Cowboys jersey.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jiji said:

Who was the dude with the avatar of Bad News back from his judo playing days? He was both funny and insightful in the MMA forum, when most were busy going hard in the paint at life. Very soothing.

I believe that was TOM who posted his own extensive MMA rankings that I liked cause the fucker went 500 fighters deep in an era where many divisions didn't have 150 known, credible fighters at the time. He was part of the Total MMA crew that made a mass exodus.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On the subject of bannings, whatever happened to the dude who did the thorough recaps of WWE shows, complete with lots of screencaps and - inevitably - multiple butt shots of the women on the roster.  Posted as "MJ-something-Fan" or something like that.  The diva stuff was creepy, but he was one the few recappers I could tolerate.

DVDVR memories that haven't been brought up yet.

-- Mass meltdowns when WWE released midcarders and the board realized they were actually Kawada, Misawa, and Bruno Sammartino rolled into one.  The one that stands out is Scotty 2 Hotty.  I'm kinda surprised the anniversary of his release isn't a DVDVR holiday.

-- the framistan period.  There was a time when I would catch myself at work spelling "product" as "prod-uct" because that was how I had to type it in on the board to get around the framistan.  Also, I accidentally typed "humped your mom" in a couple posts instead of the actual word.

-- Chris Masters.  I still haven't seen any actual proof that Masters became a superworker later in his WWE run.

- Themed photo months.  I miss the "CAPE BATTLE ROYALS"  Robe month was fun too

-- Rippa melting down over March Madness and swearing he'd never do another one - only to set up another tourney 12 months later.

- Dean, in general.  I still break out "looks like your contractor has a court date" every so often.

-- Alternate board skins.  It got to the point I was afraid to try different skins for the board because one of the choices would usually be seizure-inducing.

Not DVDVR, but my favorite "someone in the biz posts here" was Cuzican on the Puroresufan boards about 15 years ago.  She was apparently Scott Norton's wife.  She seemed mostly laid back, until someone criticized Scott or someone in the locker room.  Then she went into Mama Wolverine mode.

• Like 6

Just now, Jiji said:

Yeah, that was TOM, thanks! Does he do any writing on the internets regarding MMA these days?

I am not sure if he goes by any other name. I would have to research it because I stopped checking on them after Total MMA flopped. I think most of those guys disappeared after the UFC killed all their competition basically and Japanese MMA fell off hard. The current model of MMA and combat sports in general doesn't really jive with most of their viewpoints. Hell, the origin of my bond with sprewellrimz was about how spectacularly wrong they were on Lyoto Machida because they hated him with a passion. I remember Cell, who use to train with Jeff Curran at Curran's gym outside Chicago where Felice Herrig still trains at IIRC, being super wrong on Cris Cyborg when she first got signed and saying all their old favorite original female fighters like Debi Purcell, Amanda Buckner, and Shayna Baszler (who Cyborg later on ended up killing live on CBS hilariously enough to the point where Herb Dean or whoever was the ref got her off the cage during a premature celebration to go kill her some more) could beat her. To be fair, I think I stopped conversing with Conceicao on Twitter cause he hate watches UFC and thinks the old Pride fighters would wipe the floor with the fighters of today. It's absolutely ridiculous. 

Sadly, the reason why those guys don't post here anymore is their logic on combat sports is stuck in the year 2006/2007 before Pride got bought out by the UFC. As smart as they were, it's the reason why Total MMA didn't work.

• Like 1

I will ever remember Rich for putting Chris Simms in the Top 10 one of his mock drafts. Still makes me laugh

He is currently one of the like 3 active posters over at TOA

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

8 minutes ago, Doc Townsend said:

Rippa melting down over March Madness and swearing he'd never do another one - only to set up another tourney 12 months later.

There is a difference between March Madness and a random tournament of my own creation.

Between the nightmare of trying to moderate during that time and the constant reminder of "No matter how much work you put into something - the first post will shit on it" means there will never be another March Madness

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Doc Townsend said:

On the subject of bannings, whatever happened to the dude who did the thorough recaps of WWE shows, complete with lots of screencaps and - inevitably - multiple butt shots of the women on the roster.  Posted as "MJ-something-Fan" or something like that.  The diva stuff was creepy, but he was one the few recappers I could tolerate.

DVDVR memories that haven't been brought up yet.

MGFanJay, he recently returned last month to celebrate the 16th anniversary of Impact. He writes for the Observer site now. His recaps were the first thing I recall reading when I first started lurking here around September 09. If I remember correctly, March Madness was actually what got me to make an account in 2010.

58 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

Cesaro beat Danial Bryan that one year so the whole board had to be blown up and rebuilt.

Sadly I am about to Mandala Effect you

That was the first MM on this board

@jaedmc post is a lot funnier when the GIF actually worked

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Sadly I am about to Mandala Effect you

That was the first MM on this board

@jaedmc post is a lot funnier when the GIF actually worked

Seriously?

Holy shit... My brain is actually having trouble grasping this.

That said, I'm off to re-read this thread hehe

#conflictcocoa

Edited by L_W_P

As a very long time lurker, I have to say it’s been really nice lately not having to read OSJ make literally everything about himself, regardless of topic. 

Surprised no one has shouted out Raven (Mack, not the ECW wrestler), as I feel like his writing in the old DVDVR’s was ahead of it’s time. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Meltzing Pot said:

As a very long time lurker, I have to say it’s been really nice lately not having to read OSJ make literally everything about himself, regardless of topic. ]

Give him time...he's an old man. ?

2 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Raven has actually slightly resurfaces the last few weeks.

Wasn't it LONCE?

It WAS Lonce!! And Raven still does a good deal of writing, and has stuff on Amazon. For the record, I’m not Raven, and he didn’t pay me to tell you this.

A good memory of the board was the telethon thing, but I don’t recall what brought it about. It was some kind of calamity, but my memory is faulty.

Just now, Meltzing Pot said:

A good memory of the board was the telethon thing, but I don’t recall what brought it about. It was some kind of calamity, but my memory is faulty.

The tsunami in Japan

• Like 1