DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I'm trying to get along with MavsFan since we made up over in the MMA forum, but I never seen someone get as much use out of the phrase, "But hey (insert poster/celeb/inanimate object/another phrase) is _______, right?"

He has an unofficial tagline.

Thank you for that. I’ll definitely try to refrain from my tag line for awhile going forward. 

To stay on topic I think it’s awesome KO managed to convince the crazy old guy that WWE employees need to be wearing masks.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Infinit said:

I always wanted to ask about the story regarding "Faithless Shitbum". From what I understood someone changed their ID to that because they lost a bet? Who was the user and what was the bet?

Charlie M, it was an NHL playoff bet. He was a Canucks fan that predicted the Canucks would lose their series, had to change his name when they didn't. Possibly the bet was with Fat Spanish Waiter (RIP, miss you every day), but I'm not sure

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Six String Orchestra said:

Is no one going to mention the fact that this board banned CM Punk?

That should be boasted about every day, like with a proclamation every day at sunrise. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Infinit said:

I always wanted to ask about the story regarding "Faithless Shitbum". From what I understood someone changed their ID to that because they lost a bet? Who was the user and what was the bet?

Hahaha, that was @Charlie M.(AKA Charlie Murphy DVDVR), who lost a user name bet with me over the 2011 Canucks being able to hold on and beat the Blackhawks in the first round. That was around the time the behind the scene shows for the winter classics were still fresh and interesting. Bruce Boudreau was still with Washington and he was calling this, that, and his grandmother shitbums. Charlie bet against his own team, hence Faithless Shitbum.

Also, oyaji means old man in Japanese but more in a fatherly sense, though not strictly indicating relations. I wasn't sure about that when I was first choosing it back in like 2002, so jiji more or less means the same thing but generally refers to an out of touch older man not of relation and is less respectful. 

@MavsFan77I am sorry that I've come off as a troll. I enjoy your posts but, man, I do feel like you take the finger pointing and whataboutisms a little far. Odessa has been around forever and while that post wasn't the best, he gets more lenience from just about everybody because most everybody that's been around knows that's Odessa. I've had disagreements with him over Liverpool stuff in the past, but it is what it is. The topic of women "enhancing" their bodies, along with makeup, is really tricky because while I generally think it's shitty and a strong signifier of the male gaze/patriarchy, it's not really my place to shout them down when they do or shame them. Plus, your comment was like RIGHT during the speaking out stuff at its height. I hate the idea of "returning to normalcy" though, so whatever. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Does that mean I’m the old uncle everyone is secretly (or not so) embarrassed by? ?  

Speaking of the male gaze, am I the only person here who has met Laura Mulvey? 

Edited by odessasteps
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, odessasteps said:

Does that mean I’m the old uncle everyone is secretly (or not so) embarrassed by? ?  

You triggered FSW right into a Cashing by doing nothing but posting in the Soccer thread so I'll never be embarrassed by you.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Edwin said:

lol wut? I had no idea.

Is the annoying Snowden dude on Twitter the AFKA Evil Clown around these parts?

I remember @Eivion from Puroresufan and @The Natural from Smarks Choice.

Jesus, please stop changing names.

Both places I had mod powers at which is clearly why they died.

• Haha 1

I remember when I asked FSW to vote in one of the Best Films of the Year polls and he was so worried he was going to ruin it by voting for his favourites that I had to basically coax him into doing it.  It was so endearing that it was the complete antithesis to the way he posted on the wrestling board.  He was a good sport about it, even after people made fun of his #1 ("Who  voted 'Battle Los Angeles' as their favourite film of the year?!); he even went and watched 'Tree of Life' after it won.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Six String Orchestra said:

Is no one going to mention the fact that this board banned CM Punk?

And Xavier Woods. Although he came back as a bot almost immediately.

I think Bubba Dudley left voluntarily.

1 minute ago, AxB said:

And Xavier Woods. Although he came back as a bot almost immediately.

I think Bubba Dudley left voluntarily.

Okay, the others I've known about all this time but this I may need an explanation on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OctopusCinema said:

Who here used to be Thibs?

(let’s see if this works)

EN090 was his first name. Thibs was the next one. He had one after that where was quickly banned under. I'm not going to say here who I think they are now, but I'm sure you can figure it out.

FSW had one of the most spectacular meltdowns I've seen in the soccer thread. I think that was the final straw for him. He just went totally in on Mark for whatever reason and it was confusing as hell to me. I couldn't tell if he was purposely trying to flame out or what.

I almost wish Gonzalez had as big of a flame out, but he was just an asshole to the very end.

1 minute ago, Death From Above said:

I recall someone claiming to be Bubba at one point playing the "if you didn't work in the business you're proabbly an idiot" card and that went over about as well as you'd expect, then he just sort of vanished.

I am pretty sure that happened during the Lance Storm vs. The 500 period

1 minute ago, Death From Above said:

I recall someone claiming to be Bubba at one point playing the "if you didn't work in the business you're proabbly an idiot" card and that went over about as well as you'd expect, then he just sort of vanished.

I recall this as well.

I'd really like to know who Excalibur was on here.

And of course Tom Lawlor was...well...Tom Lawlor on here. He seemed like he stopped posting right around the time he got on the Ultimate Fighter.

Public service announcement

You can see a member's name history if you go to their profile.

By their name this is a little symbol that if you hover over says "Display Name History"

(Ignore this if it turns out that only Admins and Mods can do it - I have no way of checking)

EDIT - To clarify. Everyone can see them but it ONLY appears if the user has a name change history.

• Thanks 1

And Faithless Shitbum is maybe the name on here that made me laugh the hardest. I mean, the story for Charlie M losing the bet is funny to begin with, but Faithless Shitbum is such a fucking funny combination of words to the point where I've used it with my friends while we're playing games and stuff. It never fails to get a laugh.

Sorry for another trip down memory lane question, but who was Napao's Satchel Jockey before they lost their bet and had to take that name? I'd imagine Elsa knows.

• Like 1

Just now, Zimbra said:

The only board-posting wrestlers that I will recognize are Americans Balloon & Kickboxer.

Jacey North posted very frequently in the old old versions of the board

Meanwhile somewhere @Marty Sugar sheds a tear

• Haha 1