DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

19 hours ago, Peck said:

Steel Vengeance. It’s pretty solid. Would probably be in my Top-3 there with Millennium and Maverick(Gatekeeper may sneak in too)

Wrestling-related, Steel Vengeance sounds like the name of some shitty Supershow the AWA would put out in 1989.

Steel Vengeance is the greatest roller coaster I've ever been on. I waited in line legit for two fucking hours and it was worth every second.

Seconding Millenium Force, Maverick, and Steel Vengeance as the holy trinity.

Magnum and Gemini are both still the shit, and benefit by having much shorter lines.

• Like 1

Count me in for Omega/Hangman vs the Bucks as my current MotY. From there I think I go Osprey vs Hiromu and then Okada vs Naito is probably tied with Bryan vs AJ.

For cinematic matches, Stadium Stampede has a sight edge over the Boneyard Match. Every other cinematic match is trash.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

Count me in for Omega/Hangman vs the Bucks as my current MotY. From there I think I go Osprey vs Hiromu and then Okada vs Naito is probably tied with Bryan vs AJ.

For cinematic matches, Stadium Stampede has a sight edge over the Boneyard Match. Every other cinematic match is trash.

Including Final Deletion? 

5 hours ago, Six String Orchestra said:

I would tend to discount any cinematic matches because I feel they tend to be more Looney Tunes-esque.

I'm re-subscribing to NJPW World to watch some of their stuff too. I think this year has actually produced some good matches around the wrestling world, getting forced to work with all these restrictions I feel has made some get very creative.

This is honestly why I'd say the cinematic matches count this year, just because the rise of cinematic matches is the best example of companies working around all the restrictions they have. The biggest problem with wrestling in this time period is that it shows just how important crowds are to the pro wrestling experience. Without a crowd, it feels like you're watching a dress rehearsal instead of the actual show, and you see why the rehearsals don't have a candle to the live show.

Cinematic matches are the best way to work around the restriction with "okay, we can't have crowds to make the match seem more important, let's make matches which aren't intended to be seen in front of a crowd instead"- so they should be counted for "best of 2020." 

2 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

Cinematic matches are the best way to work around the restriction with "okay, we can't have crowds to make the match seem more important, let's make matches which aren't intended to be seen in front of a crowd instead"- so they should be counted for "best of 2020." 

My issue is matches like Wyatt-Cena are more vignettes than a match. I'm fine with a cinematic match like Shamrock-Callihan where they'd do something similar with a crowd. Viking Raiders-Street Profits is how I feel most come across as. This will be debated for decades with fans though. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

the other day Lana tweeted her mother has in the hospital for the virus. 

In that video he says that she's out of hospital (she's asthmatic) now thankfully but not out of the woods and that Lana's father also had it and lost a bunch of weight. 

Also, watching that video, he's the most adorable man ever. I love that guy. ?

6 hours ago, Casey said:

Am I the only one that doesn’t consider Stadium Stampede a cinematic match?

I think we're in an era where what we consider a "match" needs to be considerably augmented. 

I have to ask though, will cinematic matches go away whenever live crowds can return? Or will wrestlers like Undertaker who can't work a in ring match be doing those?

It is hard to compare cinematic matches to normal matches as well. Edge-Orton could re shoot a spot or exchange as needed. How then do you compare?

13 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Its a pandora's box that likely will be here to stay, especially for big shows. 

I doubt it. Once live crowds return, doing a cinematic match will be fewer and far between. Plus, Vince has the attention span of a goldfish. He'll forget about it or give up on it eventually.

13 hours ago, Six String Orchestra said:

Since we are more than halfway through the year, what are on people's shortlist for best matches this year? Props to @The Naturalfor his WWE match of the year list, used it to catch up on the year on their side of things. 

My favorite match this year  might be Tetsuya Endo vs. Masato Tanaka from Night 2 of DDT's Peter Pan show. Really shitty referee work drags it down a little, but man is it ever a fun watch.

Charlotte Flair tweeted that her surgery is to fix an issue regarding one of her implants leaking 

She said it first happened around Mania 2018 at which point she began suffering from silicone poisoning. At the time, she choose the option that got her back in the ring the quickest

She began suffering the same effects (minus the poisoning this time) so she decided to get a more permanent solution