DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

7 hours ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Vince will be spared as he doesn't strike me as the type who's going to follow up and read the replies. 

I highly doubt he even knows how to type a tweet. He probably screams for one of his interns to do it. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

The Terry Funk Twitter person absolutely has to post that now

We also need a weird old person misspelling/autocorrect. So we might end up with "Sex gifts" instead, which would be a whole different meaning.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, (BP) said:

A good rule of thumb is if they’re over forty and they don’t have one of these in their timeline it’s probably an intern running it.

There was a UK politician who did something like that, mistook the tweet bar for the search bar. He was trying to vanity search, so he just tweeted his own name. Which wouldn't have been funny, only his name is Ed Balls.

• Haha 3

My MOTY so far is Hangman & Omega vs the Young Bucks, with Omega vs Pac from earlier that week in second.

That was this year, wasn't it?

• Like 5

Yeah, other worthwhile AEW matches are Page and Omega vs. Lucha Bros, the stadium stampede, Jungle Boy vs MJF from the same ppv, Shida vs. Ford, jericho vs OC, the 8 man tag from fyter fest if you love a high spot with some storytelling, Nyla vs. Riho from February, I'm sure there are others but those stick out to me. 

NJPW, definitely gotta start with Ibushi vs. Okada and Okada/Naito from wrestle Kingdom, desperado/Ishii, hiromu/Ishii, shingo/sho all from the NJ Cup are favorites that jump out at me. 

If you want a comprehensive list, cagematch's match guide is a generally okay place to start but there is an emphasis on a certain style. 

• Like 1

Are we including the Firefly Funhouse or Boneyard Matches from Wrestlemania or only purely in ring matches?

Omega/Page vs the Bucks is a clear front runner since some were calling the best tag match of all time and there may not be enough matches in front of crowds this year to able to match it in terms of emotion. I have to give props for the Royal Rumble this year too, it was a real ride and I don't know if it's a good match necessarily but it was an effective one.

It's debatable as to whether Boneyard and Firefly Funhouse were wrestling matches or not. It's also debatable as to whether they were any good, or if they completely sucked.

2 hours ago, Six String Orchestra said:

Since we are more than halfway through the year, what are on people's shortlist for best matches this year? Props to @The Naturalfor his WWE match of the year list, used it to catch up on the year on their side of things. 

I give a shout to Thunder Rosa vs. Allysin Kay from NWA Hard Times PPV (Jan 24). One of my favorite matches this year for sure.

Impact had Tessa/Callihan and Eddie Edwards/Michael Elgin (and the ensuing Best of 5) from their Hard to Kill PPV in Jan. 

• Like 1

Having been there for Page/Omega vs. Lucha Bros, it's hard to imagine anything being better this year. Insane crowd, incredible ring work and a great story told. 

I'll throw in a vote for "Stadium Stampede," too. Just a glorious exhibition of weirdness and everything that makes wrestling fun. I was hooked from the Inner Circle team intros and never got bored. Special mention to Page riding into the stadium on an actual goddamn horse, the Page/Hager bar fight section, and Matt Hardy in the pool. 

• Like 4

I would tend to discount any cinematic matches because I feel they tend to be more Looney Tunes-esque.

I'm re-subscribing to NJPW World to watch some of their stuff too. I think this year has actually produced some good matches around the wrestling world, getting forced to work with all these restrictions I feel has made some get very creative.

Was Fujita-Shiozaki the one where they stood in the ring for 20 minutes?

Okada/Ibushi and if you are into the style, Ospreay/Hiromu are both way up there.

But I'm going with the crowd on this one. Bucks vs Omega/Page was just something else entirely.

Hangman & Omega vs the Young Bucks for me. The Stadium Stampede was such a treat it probably is my most watched match.

Daniel Bryan vs AJ Styles was good. I’ll check out Fujita-Shiozaki

Edited by OctopusCinema
  • Like 2