DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

35 minutes ago, OctopusCinema said:

Dallas, Tx basketball team. If you prefer, feel free to substitute for John McCain or the Mel Gibson-Jodie Foster 1994 western-comedy, Maverick.

I can’t say anything nice about John McCain, and I’ve never seen Maverick. Next? ?

3 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I saw Maverick a few years ago now, and I vaguely remember anything about it. However, I think I enjoyed it if my memory serves me right.

Wait...the team, the wrestler, the movie or John McCain?

9 hours ago, Doc Townsend said:

My wife recently saw Beefcake doing his Brutus the Barber gimmick and wanted to know why a "barber" was carrying around a pair of hedge clippers (Answer: Because the tiny pair of scissors isn't going to look impressive on TV).

This thread reminds me of one of my odder wrestling theories.  I started watching wrestling in the mid-late 80's.  I was pretty young at the time, and all I knew of wrestling was the WWF shows and the weekend Turner JCP/WCW stuff.  Since there was no internet yet, I didn't have access to other fans or Metlzer's newsletter.  I didn't even buy the magazines, so I wasn't my analysis of this stuff was rather basic.

Anyway, I developed a wacky theory that any time a wrestler got nicer ring gear or changed up his gimmick, he was going to lose.  I came by this theory because of the British Bulldogs.  I was a huge Bulldogs fan.  At the time, they were had the titles, they were wearing plain red and blue tights (that looked sorta like sweat pants to me).  When they lost the belts, they got better ring gear and changed up their tights to the swank white gear with blue trim and the Union Jack on the back...

I thought the only "ring gear"= "win/loss" thing that went through is the seeming rule of thumb:

If it's a title match and the challenger is wearing gold, they WILL win the title.

If it's a title match and the champion is wearing gold, they will LOSE the title. 

It seems to be equivalent to the other, similar rule of "If the announcers mention how many days the champion's held the belt,  the title is changing hands tonight" for title changes.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Tazz clearly started eating all of his recipes after that

The Human Souffle Machine

[Gordon Solie was correct all along]

Edited by BobbyWhioux
  • Like 4
  • Haha 15

I'm on board with the manscaper gimmick.

Thats something guys just don't do any more. Signature post match humiliations. Brutus cut guys hair. Taker put them in body bags. Jake got the snake out of the bag. DiBiase shoved money down guys throats.

Someone should beat a guy. Sleeper them and then back sack and crack them. 

• Like 1

There aren't that many wrestlers who keep their body hair though. Even the guys with hairy chests shave their backs, by and large.

5 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

I thought the only "ring gear"= "win/loss" thing that went through is the seeming rule of thumb:

If it's a title match and the challenger is wearing gold, they WILL win the title.

If it's a title match and the champion is wearing gold, they will LOSE the title. 

It seems to be equivalent to the other, similar rule of "If the announcers mention how many days the champion's held the belt,  the title is changing hands tonight" for title changes.

Baby/Powder blue trunks=you're getting pushed down the card

14 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Hell, during Dark Side of the Ring, we were discussing 91-94 era Jimmy Snuka showing up with tights and boots and shit after being the stereotypical savage character for so long.

Snuka probably switched to tights b/c he was in his 50s at that point and was probably trying to hide his old man legs. It's an upper body business anyway.

Edited by cwoy2j

9 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

Snuka probably switched to tights b/c he was in his 50s at that point and was probably trying to hide his old man legs. It's an upper body business anyway.

No he would switch it up. Sometimes, it would be the leopard tights with the old school multi color boots and other times it would be his usual deal barefoot. It would depend on which comeback he was on. Like I was telling someone else, it felt like they were trying to reinvent him because it was starting to be diminishing returns. 

15 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

No he would switch it up. Sometimes, it would be the leopard tights with the old school multi color boots and other times it would be his usual deal barefoot. It would depend on which comeback he was on. Like I was telling someone else, it felt like they were trying to reinvent him because it was starting to be diminishing returns. 

Maybe he only wore tights when he skipped leg day.

NarrowSorrowfulCanary-size_restricted.gi

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, OctopusCinema said:

Dallas, Tx basketball team. If you prefer, feel free to substitute for John McCain or the Mel Gibson-Jodie Foster 1994 western-comedy, Maverick.

Maverick is also the third best roller coaster at Cedar Point.

• Like 4