DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

4 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

We don't describe Scott Norton in that fashion anymore. First JYD and now this. Lets be nice and have some decorum, gentlemen. 

Norton would have actually put up a better fight than the house.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

If they didn't already do it for Davey Boy when he became a single and then for Rick Steiner when he came over in 93, then they weren't going to do it at all.

When they first named Dynamite and Davey as the Bulldogs, Vince did tell them to bark like dogs when they came to the ring. But it (barking like a dog as a way of sounding tough) was an American cultural reference they didn't get, so they just said "Bowsie Wowsie, Bowsie Wowsie" and Vince said to actually not do that after all.

• Haha 8

God, and I thought my joke was cold...

EDIT: Note, I kid Taz. With my weight right now compared to mine at the same time back then, I'm not one to talk.

But there is still no excuse for a hairdresser to walk around with pinking shears

Edited by Curt McGirt

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I think that's what WCW was going for with Al Green as "The Dog" after Kevin Sullivan took over for Russo.

There was one great moment to this where Brian Knobbs, who had been teaming with Green, decided to get rid of him by driving him out to the middle of nowhere and leaving him there while Green howled which I am 90% certain was ripped off from a Simpsons episode (NOTE: I'm 100% it was a Simpsons scene, but I'm leaving 5% there that whoever wrote it had never actually seen The Simpsons,  and another 5% that I didn't actually fantasy-book this sequence in my head based off said Simpsons scene).

47 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Should have been "The Landscaper"

I was going to make a cruel joke but I'll eschew that in favor of asking a serious question related to the joke I was going to make: Since we went on and on about the cultural zeitgeist, was Brutus/Brother Bruti around long enough for someone to make Lorena Bobbitt jokes cause I feel like 93/94 was when "Skynet became self aware" in terms of insufferable pro wrestling fan smartness. I just know that would've been in Heenan and Lawler's wheelhouse.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

10 minutes ago, Infinit said:

....I hear Judy Bagwell was good at that.

I feel like instead of tagging up with Del Wilkes and Bruti becoming the Butcher in late 94, Bruti and Not Yet Buff should have been "Balls and Stripes": the patriotic Chippendale dancers of the 90s.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I feel like instead of tagging up with Del Wilkes and Bruti becoming the Butcher in late 94, Bruti and Not Yet Buff should have been "Balls and Stripes": the patriotic Chippendale dancers of the 90s.

Would he have still been the Handsome Stranger?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

Taz has cooking experience from his days at the Wonka factory.

I dont remember where this reference came from but ...

"Bibbity bobbity boo, I'm Taz!"

6 hours ago, Craig H said:

Careful. People are going to figure out who you are.

Disco Inferno? 

Side note. Where does the god awful “PAL” thing people have to do when pretending to talk like Vince on here come from?Beyond the mat?Shoot interview? It’s like the original “that’s good shit” only worse because people have been doing it far longer. 

Tony K needs to get some quirky vocal mannerisms about himself out there so we can do bad impressions of him and get his money mark status not mentioned as much. 
Perhaps he likes to refer to anything that he thinks is good as “in their”. The YB are in their. Kenny is in their. 18-49 demos are in their! 

11 minutes ago, Zartan said:

Tony K needs to get some quirky vocal mannerisms about himself out there so we can do bad impressions of him

At least 47% of people reading this post wouldn't know how to do that.

47 minutes ago, Zartan said:

Tony K needs to get some quirky vocal mannerisms about himself out there so we can do bad impressions of him and get his money mark status not mentioned as much. 

“I’m Tony Khan. Derp derp derp.”

20 minutes ago, AxB said:

At least 47% of people reading this post wouldn't know how to do that.

He said “bad impressions.” If I take your post as written, are you suggesting it’s possible that as much as 53% of us are capable of GOOD inpressions? And why am I tugging on this thread?