DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

12 minutes ago, Doc Townsend said:

I’m actually kinda surprised there wasn’t some sort of wrestling chef gimmick in the WWF between, say, ‘88 and ‘94.  A wrestling chef would have fit right in with their roster of wrestling garbage men, corrections officers, accountants, etc.

Better yet a wrestling Swedish Chef

7 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

JYD's waistline was making perfect sense of "Grab Them Cakes"

HEY I WAS TRYING TO BE NICE TO THE BODY CONSCIOUS PEOPLE OUT HERE, MR. DAVE MELTZER AND YOUR JUNKFOOD DOG NICKNAME!

7 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I'm pretty sure if JYD had stayed around a little longer, he would have been repackaged as a baker or pastry chef so they can make sense of "Grab Them Cakes".

Given how Vince repackaged Tito Santana and Ricky Steamboat, I kinda think JYD would have gotten saddled with some sort of feral dog boy gimmick if he has stayed around.

Just now, Doc Townsend said:

Given how Vince repackaged Tito Santana and Ricky Steamboat, I kinda think JYD would have gotten saddled with some sort of feral dog boy gimmick if he has stayed around.

I think that's what WCW was going for with Al Green as "The Dog" after Kevin Sullivan took over for Russo.

4 minutes ago, Doc Townsend said:

If they didn't already do it for Davey Boy when he became a single and then for Rick Steiner when he came over in 93, then they weren't going to do it at all.

Guest Edwin
31 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

It was Big Japan and I still can't really explain it without just showing it.

Right, IWA JAPAN was the bathhouse death match.

2 hours ago, MavsFan77 said:

The difference is Vince McMahon isn’t going on Twitter trolling about it. Or going on during a taped episode of Raw (like Dynamite was this week), and tweeting that MVP/Lashley vs Ricochet/Cedric Alexander is “good shit pal”, “must see tv”, or “changing the landscape of wrestling forever”. Yes he’s much older than Tony Khan, but he’s also smart enough not to do that crap. 

But hey lets give money mark Kahn a pass for being terrible at Twitter. And yes he’s a money mark as I was reading a story yesterday from I believe Nick Jackson (it was obviously either him or Matt) telling about the first time they met Tony, and how they thought he was a nerd, and creepy since he bought out all their merch then he offered them access to his yacht and stuff so all of a sudden he’s this cool guy.

It’s like no if he was creepy to start with that just makes him a creep with money, not a cool guy. But hey he financially set them and their families up for life, so good on Matt and Nick. I’d certainly do the same if I was them. ?? 

Careful. People are going to figure out who you are.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

BTW, I know it was probably for alliteration purposes, but it's weird Ed Leslie kept the stripper name after he became "The Barber". Nothing says kid friendly than a grown man walking around with half his ass cheeks intentionally exposed.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Edwin said:

Jaguars planning on having 25% capacity this season.

Wonder if AEW tries to get fans back in venues before WWE.

So essentially the usual number of fans at Jaguars home games will remain unchanged.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Would he have just become "The Barber" in the same way Lanny Poffo eventually became just "The Genius?" 

I wish he had done a Sal Maglie gimmick.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Would he have just become "The Barber" in the same way Lanny Poffo eventually became just "The Genius?" 

They weren't as super anal retentive about adding and dropping names then as they are now, but I could see that happening since I could imagine parents grabbing toy packages off the shelf, looking at the name "Beefcake", and being like "what the flying fuck?" before putting it back on the shelf. I can see Vince in the boardroom with one of these toy company people discussing that and how it reads bad for their image. If Vince feels like it compromises his bottom line, they could easily keep the Brutus and come up with another catchy word starting with B for the surname.

Guest Edwin
4 minutes ago, sabremike said:

So essentially the usual number of fans at Jaguars home games will remain unchanged.

You saying Manchester City can begin playing home games at the Etihad, too?

1 hour ago, Death From Above said:

Honestly now that you mention it, a wresting chef gimmick would have been perfect for the hardcore division.

Well Bossman was a hardcore champ, and cooked Al Snow's dog, so....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

BTW, I know it was probably for alliteration purposes, but it's weird Ed Leslie kept the stripper name after he became "The Barber". Nothing says kid friendly than a grown man walking around with half his ass cheeks intentionally exposed.

My wife recently saw Beefcake doing his Brutus the Barber gimmick and wanted to know why a "barber" was carrying around a pair of hedge clippers (Answer: Because the tiny pair of scissors isn't going to look impressive on TV).

This thread reminds me of one of my odder wrestling theories.  I started watching wrestling in the mid-late 80's.  I was pretty young at the time, and all I knew of wrestling was the WWF shows and the weekend Turner JCP/WCW stuff.  Since there was no internet yet, I didn't have access to other fans or Metlzer's newsletter.  I didn't even buy the magazines, so I wasn't my analysis of this stuff was rather basic.

Anyway, I developed a wacky theory that any time a wrestler got nicer ring gear or changed up his gimmick, he was going to lose.  I came by this theory because of the British Bulldogs.  I was a huge Bulldogs fan.  At the time, they were had the titles, they were wearing plain red and blue tights (that looked sorta like sweat pants to me).  When they lost the belts, they got better ring gear and changed up their tights to the swank white gear with blue trim and the Union Jack on the back.

When they changed ring gear, they started jobbing.  They'd get wins over the Dream Team in 6-mans and non-title matches, but would either job in title matches or win by DQ.  And I was sure it was the tights.

Of course, they'd worn the white/blue/flag gear in Stampede, but I had never heard of Stampede Wrestling at that part.  I was sure it was the tights.

Other wrestlers who proved this theory:

-- Tito Santana (IC champion when he wore plain trunks, jtts when he dressed as a matador

-- Ricky Steamboat (feuded with Savage when he wore plain tights, jobbed a lot when he dressed as a dragon).

-- Jake Roberts (got nicer tights late in his run and jobbed on way out)

--Powers of Pain (won a lot as Road Warriors cosplayers, won not so much when the team split up and they got new ring gear).

Yeah..... it was the tights....

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DangerMark said:

I remember some NJPW then young guys, Kojima, Tenzan, Liger and a few others having a match against a house one time. 

We don't describe Scott Norton in that fashion anymore. First JYD and now this. Lets be nice and have some decorum, gentlemen. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Doc Townsend said:

My wife recently saw Beefcake doing his Brutus the Barber gimmick and wanted to know why a "barber" was carrying around a pair of hedge clippers (Answer: Because the tiny pair of scissors isn't going to look impressive on TV).

This thread reminds me of one of my odder wrestling theories.  I started watching wrestling in the mid-late 80's.  I was pretty young at the time, and all I knew of wrestling was the WWF shows and the weekend Turner JCP/WCW stuff.  Since there was no internet yet, I didn't have access to other fans or Metlzer's newsletter.  I didn't even buy the magazines, so I wasn't my analysis of this stuff was rather basic.

Anyway, I developed a wacky theory that any time a wrestler got nicer ring gear or changed up his gimmick, he was going to lose.  I came by this theory because of the British Bulldogs.  I was a huge Bulldogs fan.  At the time, they were had the titles, they were wearing plain red and blue tights (that looked sorta like sweat pants to me).  When they lost the belts, they got better ring gear and changed up their tights to the swank white gear with blue trim and the Union Jack on the back.

When they changed ring gear, they started jobbing.  They'd get wins over the Dream Team in 6-mans and non-title matches, but would either job in title matches or win by DQ.  And I was sure it was the tights.

Of course, they'd worn the white/blue/flag gear in Stampede, but I had never heard of Stampede Wrestling at that part.  I was sure it was the tights.

Other wrestlers who proved this theory:

-- Tito Santana (IC champion when he wore plain trunks, jtts when he dressed as a matador

-- Ricky Steamboat (feuded with Savage when he wore plain tights, jobbed a lot when he dressed as a dragon).

-- Jake Roberts (got nicer tights late in his run and jobbed on way out)

--Powers of Pain (won a lot as Road Warriors cosplayers, won not so much when the team split up and they got new ring gear).

Yeah..... it was the tights....

Hell, during Dark Side of the Ring, we were discussing 91-94 era Jimmy Snuka showing up with tights and boots and shit after being the stereotypical savage character for so long.

4 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

We don't describe Scott Norton in that fashion anymore. First JYD and now this. Lets be nice and have some decorum, gentlemen. 

Norton would have actually put up a better fight than the house.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

If they didn't already do it for Davey Boy when he became a single and then for Rick Steiner when he came over in 93, then they weren't going to do it at all.

When they first named Dynamite and Davey as the Bulldogs, Vince did tell them to bark like dogs when they came to the ring. But it (barking like a dog as a way of sounding tough) was an American cultural reference they didn't get, so they just said "Bowsie Wowsie, Bowsie Wowsie" and Vince said to actually not do that after all.

• Haha 8