DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

1 hour ago, dogwelder said:

The main problem with Fieri these days isn't actually his fault.  It's that Food Network relies on him too much and will show hours and hours of him to the point that some viewers get tired of it (like a lot of the people at Food Network Gossip...)

And, actually, you know how WWE has problems making new stars?  Food Network has had that problem but even worse (most of the recent "new" hosts are either well known celebrities or popular bloggers).

Robert Irvine only gets pushed because he's a body guy.

• Haha 8

20 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Didnt Phil becoming champion and bringing back the ice cream bars validate the board? 

I’m pretty sure those ice cream bars didn’t come back until just recently, though.

55 minutes ago, Casey said:

You've got a really weird hate boner for AEW and Tony Khan.

I like AEW a great deal. As I’ve said in literally every thread I’ve replied to their product is one I thoroughly enjoy. It’s just Tony comes across as such an aloof jackass on Twitter. Hell i’m sure there’s a fair amount of members here (like he was before) that if given the opportunity he has wouldn’t be trolling on there 24/7 the way he does. It’s just unbecoming for the “owner” of a company. 

3 minutes ago, MavsFan77 said:

Oh piss off loser. There’s a reason nobody quotes you for replies, and that your mma opinions are by far the worst ones on here.

LMAO what? Are you talking about yourself? Here I thought people stopped freebasing in the 80s. 

27 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

It's time to put the belt on Alex Guarnaschelli

Yikes, what an unpleasant person she seems to be... All this talk of Food Network reminds me that we used to be rabid viewers of that channel and gradually just lost interest. We were watching The Next Food Network Star when Guy Fieri finally won over his main competition, a big, black flamboyantly gay dessert chef from (IIRC) New Orleans. The wife and I both agreed  that Guy would have a longer shelf life but Reggie would be entertaining as hell for at least one season. Watching him prancing around the kitchen calling everyone "darling" or "honey" could be very amusing television. Hell, he was entertaining just shopping for ingredients, that's something that even Guy and Alton Brown can't pull off. Anyway, we quit watching primarily due to the overexposure of Bobby Flay and Guy Fieri. Guy is entertaining in small doses but as a chef he gets the same hard pass that Flay does, he fails to convince me that his dishes are anything spectacular or anything that I would want to cook myself. Alton Brown turns a lot of people off by coming across as a condescending prick but he scores really high points with me by demonstrating  how easy it can be to make a really tasty dish that seems like you spent all day in the kitchen when the reality is that it took about an hour total. Plus (and this is the big one (or two) he makes food that you want to eat and he shows you exactly how to do it.)  We got tired of Bobby Flay's Southwest Fusion or whatever the fuck he's calling it these days. Yeah, everything needs two sauces and you won't fully explain how to make it because it's a dish from your restaurant and you have to protect your secrets. Get the fuck outta here with that shit.

You know who's totally an awesome chef and scores high on the "this is how you do it" scale? Michael Symon. Seems like a great guy  and an excellent teacher that uses the step process.

1. I'm going to show you how to make the dish

2. I'll make the dish with you.

3. You'll make the dish and I'll critique it.

3.A Repeat until I have nothing to criticize.

RIP - Iron Chef America (Once you have so many Iron Chefs that everyone only gets one episode per season you have totally jumped the shark and removed any hint of greatness from the title of "Iron Chef"). If everyone is special than nobody is.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

LMAO what? Are you talking about yourself? Here I thought people stopped freebasing in the 80s. 

Cocaine's a helluva drug...

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Beat Bobby Flay might have the worst promos I've ever seen. Like, every single attempt at a zinger on that show is so unbelievably fucking bad. It's all clearly scripted out of the same writer. The audience and judges all reacting like it's the greatest shit they ever saw doesn't help either. Absolutely sub WWE Performance Center level stuff.

A lot of people make fun of Guy Fieri, but goddamn, you want at least one friend like this even if he does annoy you being a weird dad-bro. Always in a good mood. Knows where literally every good burger spot is for a 5-state radius. This is the guy you want to ride around the territory with.

50 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Robert Irvine only gets pushed because he's a body guy.

I know we're getting waaaaay off-track here, but Robert Irvine falsifying a resume to get on the Food Network; doing a special WWE episode where he met and ended up marrying Gail Kim; getting found out and turfed off Food Network; getting his own talk show on the CW where he tries to help and counsel people's problems (Despite absolutely no training/education for this role!); then coming back to Food Nework is one of the most fascinating career arcs of anyone ever.

Edited by caley
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, OctopusCinema said:

Ok. To maintain good will, @Elsalvajeloco and @Casey say three nice things about the Dallas Mavericks. @MavsFan77, say three nice things about Tony Khan.

That’s easy. ?

1) He’s booked two PPV’s in 2020 that I’ve ordered (Revolution and Double or Nothing) 

2) He chose the best possible leader for The Dark Order (Mr. Brodie Lee) 

3) He has much better hair than the other major wrestling promoters based in the US. 

4) (Since I’m not sure if 2 will count as one or not) AEW Dynamite has greatly improved since he took over as head writer/booker. 

9 minutes ago, OctopusCinema said:

Ok. To maintain good will, @Elsalvajeloco and @Casey say three nice things about the Dallas Mavericks. @MavsFan77, say three nice things about Tony Khan.

1. I am still good friends with former DVDVR mod @sprewellrimz, who likes the Mavs despite being from Alabama. I still haven't figured that one out.

2. I still remember when they lost to the Warriors as a one seed in 2007 cause I was on vacation in Orlando with my friends. That was memorable, right?

3. Reunion Arena was a nice venue even though I never went there.

Cinematic Matches are all the rage now Robert Irvine vs James Storm in a Restaurant Impossible match that’s where they brawl all over a restaurant; the floor, the bar, the kitchen, the dumpsters, the parking lot.  

• Haha 1

Guest Edwin

AEW should book Guy Fieri in a cinematic grocery store death match like the one from IWA JAPAN. (Inb4 Orange Cassidy pops in the fruit section).

Also, we need that yellow and green theme back asap. This plain theme ain't it.