DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Guest Edwin
3 hours ago, EVA said:

Everybody realizes Guy Fieri is actually, like, a much bigger deal, culturally, than wrestling, right?  Yes, he looks like a goof, but he’s one of the biggest names in the food/entertainment industry, which is a way bigger deal and has significantly wider reach across demographics than wrestling.

I’ve seen that becoming a talking point recently (“they’re losing to Guy Fieri lol”), and I don’t think that’s really the mark of shame some people think it is.  Food shows do great numbers.  There’s a reason Netflix has gotten deep into producing them over the past few years.

It was obviously a joke, on my end, at least. ?‍♂️

Even those YouTube food shows get a ton of views.

45 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

For Guy Fieri shows, I’ll take triple D over triple G all day every day. 

This.

Edited by Edwin

The main problem with Fieri these days isn't actually his fault.  It's that Food Network relies on him too much and will show hours and hours of him to the point that some viewers get tired of it (like a lot of the people at Food Network Gossip...)

And, actually, you know how WWE has problems making new stars?  Food Network has had that problem but even worse (most of the recent "new" hosts are either well known celebrities or popular bloggers).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Not to keep sidetracking the conversation, but I like both. Triple D makes me actively want to eat terrible, awful food and venture out to find these places. This is a nightmare when you're doing intermittent fasting and keto. Triple G just shows me how much better I need to be at cooking and improvising.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Not to keep sidetracking the conversation, but I like both. Triple D makes me actively want to eat terrible, awful food and venture out to find these places. This is a nightmare when you're doing intermittent fasting and keto. Triple G just shows me how much better I need to be at cooking and improvising.

2 hours ago, Death From Above said:

I have to give WWE credit for at least one thing. They've set the bar so low and people expect so little of them at this point, that they are promoting - at the same time - a "we swear a dude is gonna get his eye taken out for reals" match AND a "we more than slightly implied someone is going to be eaten by an alligator for reals" match FOR THE SAME SHOW and people are going nuts that the other company's creative is too over the top about making promises they can't keep. Wonderful.

The difference is Vince McMahon isn’t going on Twitter trolling about it. Or going on during a taped episode of Raw (like Dynamite was this week), and tweeting that MVP/Lashley vs Ricochet/Cedric Alexander is “good shit pal”, “must see tv”, or “changing the landscape of wrestling forever”. Yes he’s much older than Tony Khan, but he’s also smart enough not to do that crap. 

But hey lets give money mark Kahn a pass for being terrible at Twitter. And yes he’s a money mark as I was reading a story yesterday from I believe Nick Jackson (it was obviously either him or Matt) telling about the first time they met Tony, and how they thought he was a nerd, and creepy since he bought out all their merch then he offered them access to his yacht and stuff so all of a sudden he’s this cool guy.

It’s like no if he was creepy to start with that just makes him a creep with money, not a cool guy. But hey he financially set them and their families up for life, so good on Matt and Nick. I’d certainly do the same if I was them. ?? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

For a wrestling movie some here may not have seen, on TCM today.

I wish I would have known I would have DVRed it. I checked my listings it’s almost over now. I’m watching Night at the Opera right now I’m surprised The Marx Brothers never made a wrestling picture.  

16 minutes ago, MavsFan77 said:

The difference is Vince McMahon isn’t going on Twitter trolling about it. Or going on during a taped episode of Raw (like Dynamite was this week), and tweeting that MVP/Lashley vs Ricochet/Cedric Alexander is “good shit pal”, “must see tv”, or “changing the landscape of wrestling forever”. Yes he’s much older than Tony Khan, but he’s also smart enough not to do that crap. 

But hey lets give money mark Kahn a pass for being terrible at Twitter. And yes he’s a money mark as I was reading a story yesterday from I believe Nick Jackson (it was obviously either him or Matt) telling about the first time they met Tony, and how they thought he was a nerd, and creepy since he bought out all their merch then he offered them access to his yacht and stuff so all of a sudden he’s this cool guy.

It’s like no if he was creepy to start with that just makes him a creep with money, not a cool guy. But hey he financially set them and their families up for life, so good on Matt and Nick. I’d certainly do the same if I was them. ?? 

You've got a really weird hate boner for AEW and Tony Khan.

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Casey said:

You've got a really weird hate boner for AEW and Tony Khan.

Imagine calling a guy who would've accomplished something unthinkable even a year ago (starting a viable national wrestling promotion and ending up in the black after year one) if not for a global pandemic a "money mark". A "money mark" is someone being conned out of money, not making it.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, dogwelder said:

The main problem with Fieri these days isn't actually his fault.  It's that Food Network relies on him too much and will show hours and hours of him to the point that some viewers get tired of it (like a lot of the people at Food Network Gossip...)

And, actually, you know how WWE has problems making new stars?  Food Network has had that problem but even worse (most of the recent "new" hosts are either well known celebrities or popular bloggers).

It's time to put the belt on Alex Guarnaschelli

Tonight on Smackdown-

New Day defend the tag titles against Cesaro & Shinsuke Nakamura. Also advertised: Miz TV with Jeff Hardy, Bayley & Sasha Banks vs. Alexa Bliss & Nikki Cross (non-title), and a replay of Braun Strowman vs. Bray Wyatt from Money in the Bank 2020.

Guest Edwin

Jaguars planning on having 25% capacity this season.

Wonder if AEW tries to get fans back in venues before WWE.