DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

3 minutes ago, elizium said:

Yoko didn't even miss a beat

Part of that probably could be because when Yoko was choking old Uncle Fred on the remaining ropes either the ref or Mr. Fuji communicated to them it'd be best for them to go home. Now.

3 hours ago, Edwin said:

Both shows are losing to this goof:

5d2f995f36e03c0dd9570e06?width=1100&form

So yeah...

So what you're saying is that if AEW wanted to really get the upper-hand and sustained momentum in the Wednesday Night Wrestling Wars, they should have had Chris Jericho do a pull-apart with Guy Fieri instead of Mike Tyson ?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, clintthecrippler said:

So what you're saying is that if AEW wanted to really get the upper-hand and sustained momentum in the Wednesday Night Wrestling Wars, they should have had Chris Jericho do a pull-apart with Guy Fieri instead of Mike Tyson ?

Honestly, that would've gotten more coverage than Tyson. It's 2020. Tyson isn't a big deal and that "pull apart" was super lame.

Guy should've hit Jericho with his car; like Gilbert/Lawler.

Edited by PetrolCB
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

Tyson isn't a big deal and that "pull apart" was super lame.

He was for that 2-3 weeks they were using him. The problem is I don't think Mike took it that seriously, and it was structured all wrong if you're using someone whose has this viral energy behind him. It's different than when all these wrestling companies were negotiating to bring in Tonya Harding and she ended up coming out to corner La Pareja del Terror/Los Gringos Locos in AAA IIRC. She's untrained and it's likely she isn't going to be doing anything physical anyway. Mike Tyson's buzz came from a short video hitting pads with Rafael Cordeiro on Instagram and looking like a beast for his age. You don't have this dude doing goofy shit with goofy people (i.e. the Gooch). You don't show him being unable to tear off his shirt. You make him look like a killer. They were unable to do that.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 1

Fuck me...   both shows did well over 700,000 viewers,  one did slightly better in a key demo,  both networks are happy with the performances.  The only thing that matters for NXT is that the show has come back from the lows of 500,000 and is doing far better now..  and for AEW they are maintaining most of their audience and TNT is happy. 

• Like 8

12 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Dude, somebody beat you to that after the Corpus Christi Dark Order phantom punch debacle/Rhea title win in December.

Ok, I got it! I can’t wait for Tony Khan to show up as NXT’s surprise GM.

6 hours ago, clintthecrippler said:

They could've booked Guy and Jericho in a "Flavortown Street Fight" for Fyter Fest. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

God at some point I will just start a ratings thread.

But in the meantime - since on the subject. A note from the new WON (related to all TV)

For those who follow ratings, a major story when it comes to sports in particular is that Nielsen had been planning on introducing new ratings in September that would combine home ratings with out of home viewing.

The new ratings system that would measure places like restaurants, airports, gyms, bars and hotels has been delayed until January due to COVID-19 slowing up the process. Some prelim data with minor sports has shown six to seven percent increases and the belief the NFL games this fall would have shown 10 to 15 percent increases, perhaps more for prime time games and playoffs.

Networks are furious because they just found out and were expecting major ratings increases for the fall season, most notably for the NFL.

The problem is obvious. You can measure restaurants that have a football game on, but how do you measure viewership? Or a bar, or the airport? Do people who walk by count? Does everyone sitting there near the screen, even if paying no attention at all to the screen count? In some places like sports bars, everyone is watching the game so it should count. In other places, it’s on and few are paying attention. These ratings mean millions and even billions of dollars. For wrestling, the continuing decline was thought to be masked for one year with the change in systems, and now that delay won’t be until January.

Everybody realizes Guy Fieri is actually, like, a much bigger deal, culturally, than wrestling, right?  Yes, he looks like a goof, but he’s one of the biggest names in the food/entertainment industry, which is a way bigger deal and has significantly wider reach across demographics than wrestling.

I’ve seen that becoming a talking point recently (“they’re losing to Guy Fieri lol”), and I don’t think that’s really the mark of shame some people think it is.  Food shows do great numbers.  There’s a reason Netflix has gotten deep into producing them over the past few years.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

I always preferred Wins Above Brad Armstrong (WABA). 

So who are the anti-Arn/Tentas? Batista being 37 or so when he broke though comes to mind. 

Wasn’t Rico like 40 when he debuted? That surprised me at the time.

12 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

AJ is also 2 years younger than Alex Wright 

That surprised me until I remembered that Wright was Das Wunderkind and signed when he was 19.

41 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

God at some point I will just start a ratings thread.

But in the meantime - since on the subject. A note from the new WON (related to all TV)

And how do you count a sports bar showing multiple games at once, like during Sunday Ticket afternoons or March Madness? 

39 minutes ago, EVA said:

Everybody realizes Guy Fieri is actually, like, a much bigger deal, culturally, than wrestling, right?  Yes, he looks like a goof, but he’s one of the biggest names in the food/entertainment industry, which is a way bigger deal and has significantly wider reach across demographics than wrestling.

I’ve seen that becoming a talking point recently (“they’re losing to Guy Fieri lol”), and I don’t think that’s really the mark of shame some people think it is.  Food shows do great numbers.  There’s a reason Netflix has gotten deep into producing them over the past few years.

Stop using logic

BTW - Guy's Grocery Games is a fucking good show too

• Like 5

Everyone realizes that AEW cares so much about winning the 18-39 Demo because their TV contract has an Ad Revenue split with TNT and that demo is the premium demo that brings in the most ad cash, thus more money to AEW, right?  And WWE doesn't give a tuppeny fuck about the demo's because they get paid the same no matter what, so long as they stay with the terms of the contract.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Everyone realizes that AEW cares so much about winning the 18-39 Demo because their TV contract has an Ad Revenue split with TNT and that demo is the premium demo that brings in the most ad cash, thus more money to AEW, right?  And WWE doesn't give a tuppeny fuck about the demo's because they get paid the same no matter what, so long as they stay with the terms of the contract.

I'm sorry to tell you this, but I don't think many people on here realize that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Stop using logic

BTW - Guy's Grocery Games is a fucking good show too

My mom is always watching this or Chopped or, ugh, the news, whenever I go visit her. Guy's Grocery Games is pretty entertaining. I don't know if I'd go out of my way to watch it by myself, but it's pretty good.

To be fair - it is more due to the other chefs on the show than Guy himself but yeah.

Meanwhile - from the wild wrestling speculation department

The list of talent that hasn’t been at the Performance Center since the outbreak includes Dana Brooke, Carmella, Naomi, The Street Profits, Velveteen Dream, Austin Theory, Daniel Bryan, Finn Balor, Liv Morgan, Mandy Rose, Natalya, Nia Jax, Otis, Tucker, Mojo Rawley, Shorty G, Raquel Gonzalez, Sheamus and Sonya Deville.

Of those, Bryan and Sheamus both appeared on Zoom on Smackdown from home so it was clear they were scripted originally for the show and didn’t come. That could be by choice, given Bryan’s wife is pregnant and he’s had issues with his immune system, or other reasons. Dream and Theory were both named in recent allegations. WWE officially has said there is no change in Dream’s status, and he was in an auto accident but had been not been on the show while he was in the middle of a program with the Undisputed Era, and his name was never mentioned in commentary during a Dexter Lumis match where he was part of the storyline. WWE hasn’t responded to any questions on Theory, whose name has also not been mentioned on commentary or his absence when Seth Rollins and Murphy been on TV been acknowledged. Natalya is known to have not tested positive but was pulled for precautionary reasons. Brooke, Carmella and Naomi hadn’t been booked on television prior, so they all just simply may not have been used. Jax also doesn’t appear to have a program going right now, although was the one to “injure” Charlotte Flair so disappearing from television right after wouldn’t seem to make sense either.

I have to give WWE credit for at least one thing. They've set the bar so low and people expect so little of them at this point, that they are promoting - at the same time - a "we swear a dude is gonna get his eye taken out for reals" match AND a "we more than slightly implied someone is going to be eaten by an alligator for reals" match FOR THE SAME SHOW and people are going nuts that the other company's creative is too over the top about making promises they can't keep. Wonderful.

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Death From Above said:

I have to give WWE credit for at least one thing. They've set the bar so low and people expect so little of them at this point, that they are promoting - at the same time - a "we swear a dude is gonna get his eye taken out for reals" match AND a "we more than slightly implied someone is going to be eaten by an alligator for reals" match FOR THE SAME SHOW and people are going nuts that the other company's creative is too over the top about making promises they can't keep. Wonderful.

sc4ZZ08WZ7HQhyw8Tn3ugrwgQiarq4uJVovM8AeR

• Like 3
  • Haha 3