DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

My friend and I were talking about Raven earlier, and about how perfect his look and character were for the mid-90's. That got me thinking, what are some of the most zeitgeist-defining looks or gimmicks in wrestling history. I suppose you'd have to mention Hogan in the 80's. When two of the biggest stars in Hollywood were Schwarzenegger and Stallone, the WWF had their very own version with Hulk. Nowadays, even though the gimmick is at least 6 years old at this point, I don't think anyone has a more contemporary look than Sasha Banks.

• Like 5

Sasha in general for the times. Bayley right now with her I'd like to speak to the manager beats.  Orange Cassidy and Adam Page are both kinda on point.  The new day as a whole right now have been on point with pop culture.  This one is gonna sound strange. John Cena was perfect for his big time up top.  He represented a throw back attempt to get the kids.  When he was on top the #1 video game system was the wii and all the "hardcore" gamers were pissed off.  It didn't really work business wise but the idea was solid in my opinion.

Edited by Morganti
fixing stoned typos and auto corrects
  • Like 5

Wiggy from CZW and the SpeakingOut movement is being called out on Facebook and Reddit by referee Jon Barber about how she should have been more careful with her accusations against CHIKARA and that she posted things that she wasn’t given approval to post.

21 minutes ago, Casey said:

Wiggy from CZW and the SpeakingOut movement is being called out on Facebook and Reddit by referee Jon Barber about how she should have been more careful with her accusations against CHIKARA and that she posted things that she wasn’t given approval to post.

Please tell me this isn't the Jon Barber who was possibly the biggest internet wrestling moron of the late 90's-early 2000's and it's just some guy with the same name.

7 hours ago, Godfrey said:

So listening to Grillin Jr about Bret Hart's 1996 and it occurred to me that I would've most likely enjoyed Bret/Shawn at WM12 a lot more if it hadn't been an iron man match. Those two guys on that stage at that point in their careers going 25 minutes would have been preferable to me, and if you had to have a stipulation maybe try best of 3 falls or play off their ladder matches. Personal preference, of course, but 60+ minutes for that finish was a let down and was boring along the way.

So what big matches do you think would've been better without a stip or with a different one?

Hogan vs. Slaughter at Mania 7 seemed like it shouldn't have been a regular match, and it probably hurt a little bit more with the problem. Considering on the house show loop before/after Wrestlemania, they were doing similar stuff, if Hogan/Slaughter was an I Quit match, it probably works far better than it turned out as a whole. 

Yes, Hogan was never exactly a submissions expert- but hey, Slaughter was able to get people to tap out to a noogie at the time, so it's not like Hogan had to break out some amazing submission to counter it.

Hogan could have busted out a Figure 4.

Oh... He had been to Japan before then right? Hogan going all Inoki on Sarge, chopping him down, locking in a guillotine maybe...

Then he could claim to have invented MMA as well!

After Mania, Hogan and Slaughter had at least one Boot Camp Match. That would've been a really cool stip for Mania. Add a bit more violence and chaos (though I actually like the match they had.)

Wrestlemania I had the bodyslam challenge and 2 had the cage match, but from 3-11, were there even any stipulation matches?  They had the ironman at 12 and the I Quit at 13, but I can't think of any others before that.

6 minutes ago, Log said:

Wrestlemania I had the bodyslam challenge and 2 had the cage match, but from 3-11, were there even any stipulation matches?  They had the ironman at 12 and the I Quit at 13, but I can't think of any others before that.

Blindfold match between Jake Roberts and Rick Martel, WrestleMania VII.

Razor Ramon vs. Shawn Michaels Ladder match at WrestleMania X.

Macho Man and Crush, Falls Count Anywhere also at WrestleMania X.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Hogan could've used a front facelock against Slaughter. It worked before, when he beat that big, stinky Richard Belzer.

But really, he couldve gotten him with the camel clutch after knocking Sarge out cold, leaving the ref no choice but to call it after doing the three arm drops.

Edited by PetrolCB
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, sabremike said:

Please tell me this isn't the Jon Barber who was possibly the biggest internet wrestling moron of the late 90's-early 2000's and it's just some guy with the same name.

When I first noticed the ref's name I had just written it off as a coincidence, but then somebody on here mentioned they were the same guy. Guess he never got the funding for that XPW documentary.

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

After Mania, Hogan and Slaughter had at least one Boot Camp Match. That would've been a really cool stip for Mania. Add a bit more violence and chaos (though I actually like the match they had.)

I was always amazed they continued the feud after Mania 7 and did this match on the house show loop when it would've been perfect for the blow-off on PPV. Of course we got the match made in hell instead which I have a fondness for

4 minutes ago, BurningBeard said:

I was always amazed they continued the feud after Mania 7 and did this match on the house show loop when it would've been perfect for the blow-off on PPV. Of course we got the match made in hell instead which I have a fondness for

It was all about the house shows back then.  That's what's so maddening about listening to Alvarez review SNME episodes.  They talk about them in modern terms and can't understand the booking, not realizing that, most of the time, matches were booked for SNME only after they'd exhausted their ability to draw on house shows.

• Like 4

Yeah, it's just always been funny to me how WWF emphasized its global credentials but the likes of me in the UK missed out on lots of stuff because of the emphasis on the house show business. Taker v Warrior is another big one that springs to mind from back then

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sabremike said:

Same dude, I think. Huge XPW fanboy, had some sort of plan for a documentary about the company. I remember him from the CZWFans board. 

Interesting take that he's more pissed about someone telling stories without consent than he is that the abuse/assault/generally gross behaviors happened, but whatever. He has been a longtime CHIKARA employee, so he may just be defending his employer, as misguided as that may be.

Additionally, the idea of him being a fuckhead 20 years ago can be partially explained that he was mad young, like teenager young. Hard to provide a nuanced approach to anything at that age, and we are all morons at that point in our lives, yeah? Certainly no excuse for any fuckery today, but his past idiocy can at least be tied to his youth.

Edited by grilledcheese
Added a thought

Matt Riddle just tweeted out a video mentioning (some of) the allegations against him from the Speaking Out movement. He admits to cheating on his wife and says the woman he cheated with started stalking him after he finished it, and the sexual assault claims she put out are a part of that harassment. Never mentions Jamie Senegal at all. And he's wearing a SPLX hat the whole time, which isn't a good look. 

9 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I sincerely believe that balance is shifting these days. 

Meaning what? That young folks are becoming more aware of the world's injustices and are doing their part to not contribute to them?

Goddamn, I hope so. I struggle everyday with how to be to a more positive force in life in order to set the example for my boys for those kinds of things. I don't want my generation's missteps to continue to fuck things up for everyone.

• Like 4

Yes. Also, the newer generations not only have access to learning via the Internet that we didn't have but are using it positively... unlike their predecessors. 

Dumping children into a no-hope warzone is gonna make them smarter and warier in all fashions, anyway. You gotta grow up fast.

• Like 3