DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

37 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

It was about 1 AM at a school nightand I was super young, it was probably '95 or '96. My mom's "new special friend"/my future stepdad worked at a bar, and I guess Snuka stopped in for a pop after an indy show. I was woken from a dead sleep to my mom telling me Jimmy Snuka is on the phone. I was so weirded out by the whole thing, I couldn't even muster anything past "What's up man?" He responded, equally disoriented: "Remember kid, there's only one Superfly." Click. He was gone.

Not a single "brudda" in there?  I'm shocked.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Log said:

Not a single "brudda" in there?  I'm shocked.

This. Also, I think @Zakk_Sabbath's stepdad might have sold Jimmy Snuka drugs and Snuka owed him money to the point where he had to make that phone call. 

• Haha 5

4 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

This. Also, I think @Zakk_Sabbath's stepdad might have sold Jimmy Snuka drugs and Snuka owed him money to the point where he had to make that phone call. 

"tell your dad we're square"

Waking a child up at 1:00 in the morning to remind them that there's "Only one Superfly." a decade after you were relevant sounds like some ominous shit.

"don't forget about Da Superfly, kid, I know where you live."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Anyhoo - I eagerly await the first dude who tries to get heat (or is shoot mad) about being ranked behind a woman

I'm gonna go with a double whammy and say Austin Aries flushes any LGBT+ ally cred he has down the toilet when he mentions the name Nyla Rose. 

Speaking of LGBTQ+ allies, Nick Gage is on Kameo now. And the first one he did, he said trans rights are human rights and he'll fight anyone who disagrees. Then tweeted that even though he was paid to say that on cameo, he would have said it for free because it's what he legit believes.

• Like 13

Why isn't Heath fighting Drew at Extreme Rules?  Honestly, as a former WWE supporter, I would consider watching the show if they had that program and just stuck to authentic storytelling.  Heath just wants one shot at the belt so that he can tell his kids he had the opportunity.  If he fails, he fails but he's proud.

• Like 4

So listening to Grillin Jr about Bret Hart's 1996 and it occurred to me that I would've most likely enjoyed Bret/Shawn at WM12 a lot more if it hadn't been an iron man match. Those two guys on that stage at that point in their careers going 25 minutes would have been preferable to me, and if you had to have a stipulation maybe try best of 3 falls or play off their ladder matches. Personal preference, of course, but 60+ minutes for that finish was a let down and was boring along the way.

So what big matches do you think would've been better without a stip or with a different one?

• Like 1

On 7/5/2020 at 9:56 PM, Brian Fowler said:

Blackman lasted way longer in WWF than I remembered.

He probably pulled off the Serious wrestler in dry humor roles that WWE loves to do and it very rarely comes off well. He pulled it off well better than most and WWE continues to put people that they think have no personality in those positions. Given his Calgary connections I'm sure Bret probably had plans to work with him if he stayed around that would've been fun.

2 hours ago, AxB said:

Speaking of LGBTQ+ allies, Nick Gage is on Kameo now. And the first one he did, he said trans rights are human rights and he'll fight anyone who disagrees. Then tweeted that even though he was paid to say that on cameo, he would have said it for free because it's what he legit believes.

Self quoting, in case anyone didn't see it:

MDK.

• Like 12

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

I have to admit, I wasn't expecting Nick Gage to bring such a genuine smile to my face, but heck yeah.

2 hours ago, Godfrey said:

So listening to Grillin Jr about Bret Hart's 1996 and it occurred to me that I would've most likely enjoyed Bret/Shawn at WM12 a lot more if it hadn't been an iron man match. Those two guys on that stage at that point in their careers going 25 minutes would have been preferable to me, and if you had to have a stipulation maybe try best of 3 falls or play off their ladder matches. Personal preference, of course, but 60+ minutes for that finish was a let down and was boring along the way.

So what big matches do you think would've been better without a stip or with a different one?

I actually think that, given they were going to sudden death anyway, taking the stip off and having the same match would have been much better. Once it gets to about 15 minutes left it becomes pretty clear they are going the distance. Take that away and just let them go for 70 mins to the fall.

Lynch v Rousey v Flair - If you insist on making it a triple threat then make it submissions only.

CM Punk v Undertaker - This should have been 2/3 falls with Punk scoring the first fall. I think it would have been brilliant to have Punk claiming that Taker was done and that by forcing him to essentially wrestle 2 or 3 matches he would break the Deadman down. Taker still gets the win, but Punk being able to claim that he 'Pinned The Undertaker at WrestleMania' would be great.

it would have also planted the seeds for another Heyman Guy ending the streak a year later...

• Like 6

I wish there'd been some sort of follow up to the 94 Rumble, with 14 odd guys trying to look each other in the eye and carry on with their lives, knowing they willingly murdered a guy and buried him on live TV.

None of this Leslie Nielsen stuff. Focus on the drama between Kwang and Headshrinker Samu, who has remorse, who doesn't. Then maybe segue into an I Know What You Did Last Summer sort of thing, despite it not being made for another 2 years, with Taker coming back, and then murdering them all, and clearing out the awful midcard at that point.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 9

3 hours ago, Godfrey said:

I’ll submit HHH vs Orton in a straight up wrestling match at 25. Not sure anything gets that crowd back for them, but a bloody arena brawl was certainly the way to go considering the build.