DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

Blackman lasted way longer in WWF than I remembered.

Didn't they take a while to release him because he was injured during a time period where they tried not to release people hurt? I think there was also something about him being friends with Shane if I recall correctly.

All I know is Blackman was one of the mid card guys who was always a favorite for me during the Attitude era. 

Steve Blackman is such a weird case. Half of the Blackman fans I know like him earnestly, half of them like him ironically. And I don't know a single person who actively dislikes Steve Blackman.

• Like 2

I remember Stone Cold saying the pop Blackman got at a live show took him and McMahon by surprise. He’s the epitome of right guy wrong era to me, also one of the best physiques/builds I’ve seen in wrestling 

5 hours ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

Steve Blackman:

- one the least divisive

- most universally popular across the board (workers and marks)

- decently pushed (but never a top guy) (minimal merch, tho')

- good run during a peak era

Wotta guy.

- RAF (big fan, too)

Anyone else have deja vu scrolling this board? I'm sure we had this exact conversation before and RAF here replied with something exactly like this. I think I need to go outside or something ?

• Like 2

Read that the WWE material airing on Fox Sports 1 on Tuesday nights (mostly old PPV's) often fails to break into the top 150 shows for the night.  That sounds.... really terrible.  Is that normal for FS1?

I kinda suspect the Fox deal would have turned out badly for Fox even if the pandemic hadn't hit.  

53 minutes ago, Doc Townsend said:

Read that the WWE material airing on Fox Sports 1 on Tuesday nights (mostly old PPV's) often fails to break into the top 150 shows for the night.  That sounds.... really terrible.  Is that normal for FS1?

I kinda suspect the Fox deal would have turned out badly for Fox even if the pandemic hadn't hit.  

I think it’s normal for FS1 as I read the other day that their daytime shows (Undisputed and The Herd mainly) don’t even crack 200,000 viewers. So I doubt they’d chart either. 

But it’s definitely not good that FOX spent as much money as they did, and they can’t manage to get any viewers out of it. This deal with WWE will clearly be a one and done for sure. 

Brandon Thurston set up that poll. He's a really good wrestler. And I'm sure he used to post here, too.

• Like 3

I think the old WWE stuff on FS1 does well enough. I mean it's not like they were thrown on FS2 which is on the cable equivalent of an old UHF station you needed to get with the old Fox viewing positions. 

Cr7CTg6VYAEss4_?format=jpg&name=small

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Convicted sex offender and professional wrestling trainer Chasyn Rance is currently training a 14 year old girl who started her training with him at the age of 12. She is being trained by Chasyn at Team Vision Dojo. The Dojo was named multiple times during the recent Speaking Out movement and were also a contributing factor in Saieve Al Sabah requesting his MLW release just one month after signing.

Edited by saveholmes
  • Sad 1

At Supercard of Honor in Lakeland 3 years ago the dude I was sitting next to told me Rance liked to bang 14 year olds. I don’t know how the convo came up, I think we were talking about old TNA job guys and his name came up.

Spoiler

I never picked sides in any wrestling company battle.  But I am picking a side now.  I am now open to being swayed to one brand, but it will take some doing on the part of brand that wants my loyalty.  I demand all my favorite wrestlers in one company!

I need Kenny Omega and Xavier Woods and Kofi Kingston and Orange Cassidy and Cody Rhodes and Keith Lee and Jon Moxley and Finn Balor and... Big Meaty Men bumpin meat and 8 star matches and it needs to only be 30 minutes but every match needs time to breathe and i need good selling and go go go high spots and holds bein worked and no more irish whips coz they take me out of it and i also need 720 moon bombs from Kevin Nash and flippy dos and stiff chops and.

I digress.  

This was inspired by the silliness goin on about ratings and such.  

On 7/5/2020 at 5:12 PM, Death From Above said:

Blackman had one of the strangest careers ever. I remember seeing him as a kid in the very late days of Stampede Wrestling so that had to be the extreme end of the 1980's (wiki more or less confirms this), then he just vanished off the face of the earth. Apparently he got ultra-sick during a tour of South Africa and ended up spending years recovering from the effects. Then somehow on the comeback road he's still buddies with a couple of the old Stampede crew in Owen Hart and Brian Pillman, manages to spin it into a WWF shot. And he pans that out into a few years of hanging around the lower card. Then when he leaves there he more or less again vanishes from wrestling.

Even on the shot, it also kind of ignored that being on the list of "actual good things WWE has done in the past"- rather than being spun into a WWF shot: He had agreed to terms with WWF to come in during 1989, but the deal was held off due to his getting super-sick on the South African tour. When he got better on the comeback road, WWF lived up to the agreement and went through it.

Kelly Klein is signal boosting Taeler Hendrix's sexual harassment allegations against Jay Lethal from a year or two ago by claiming ROH is/was actively covering up multiple complaints from other women about Lethal.