DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

14 minutes ago, Casey said:

Since the Speaking Out thread was closed...

It matches up with a tweet that Riddle posted on the same day from Jimmy's Seafood. Hair, shirt, everything.

Okay now that’s some definitive proof against Riddle. At least for having lied about having a relationship of some kind with her. The other accusations I won’t get into as it’s not in any of our best interest to discuss that stuff again. 

20 hours ago, AxB said:

So Eddy Kingston was wearing Black and Yellow, and it just made me think - is he the American Genichiro Tenryu?

Or the American Kawada. 

Sure, Vince "doesn't get" an "MMA" type wrestler when he's already given loads of money to Ken Shamrock, Dan Severn, Steve Blackman, put together the Brawl for All, did Lion's Den matches, hired Matt Riddle and is pushing him on his show despite sex abuse allegations...

Edited by Curt McGirt

Blackman had one of the strangest careers ever. I remember seeing him as a kid in the very late days of Stampede Wrestling so that had to be the extreme end of the 1980's (wiki more or less confirms this), then he just vanished off the face of the earth. Apparently he got ultra-sick during a tour of South Africa and ended up spending years recovering from the effects. Then somehow on the comeback road he's still buddies with a couple of the old Stampede crew in Owen Hart and Brian Pillman, manages to spin it into a WWF shot. And he pans that out into a few years of hanging around the lower card. Then when he leaves there he more or less again vanishes from wrestling.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

Blackman had one of the strangest careers ever. I remember seeing him as a kid in the very late days of Stampede Wrestling so that had to be the extreme end of the 1980's (wiki more or less confirms this), then he just vanished off the face of the earth. Apparently he got ultra-sick during a tour of South Africa and ended up spending years recovering from the effects. Then somehow on the comeback road he's still buddies with a couple of the old Stampede crew in Owen Hart and Brian Pillman, manages to spin it into a WWF shot. And he pans that out into a few years of hanging around the lower card. Then when he leaves there he more or less again vanishes from wrestling.

Now Blackman has his own bail bonds company

• Like 3

How about a wacky TV show with Blackman, Schultz and New Jack, where they run run their own bail bonds/skip tracing/birthday party entertainment company, and hilarity ensues. Can these three mismatched hotheads survive this wacky business --- or each other?  Answer: they can - through the magiks of friendship and comedy. This is the programming we need to heal our fractured souls.

- book it,

RAF

• Like 8

The three of them sitting in the office; Blackman attempting to read a magazine and growing frustrated and distracted as New Jack and Schultz loudly argue over whether a sugar hold or a staple gun is more effective at subduing suspects.

• Like 4

Just seen clips from Joe vs Brock from GBOF, I haven't watched since it happened, the build up was great the Match was really good considering how quick it was. That was one of my favorite matches and build ups to watch in real time in recent memory. They should've done this on one of the big 4 PPVs

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Steve Blackman as Hardcore champion is something that's still referenced by friends who quit watching after the Invasion - very fondly remembered in my circle. 

I was a gigantic Steve Blackman fan, I even had his (only?) shirt. I was there live for his SummerSlam match against Shane and super pumped when he did the big dive. His schtick didn't have much to it but I'll always fondly recall that brief push he had.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

Vince McMahon is due to watch Jackie Brown, so maybe he’ll bring in Blackman with a Max Cherry gimmick. 

Shit, bring back Jazz and put her in  the Jackie Brown role and I'd  watch that.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Death From Above said:

You left out the part about how he initially showed up at a WWF show in '97 looking to beat the shit out of Vader over an old grudge before his old Stampede buds talked him into trying out instead...

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Zartan said:

I don’t really care about Indy darlings or whatever your on about just thought Weenie ass was some incredibly lame shit Triple H would say to try and be funny. 

Metallica has been garbage since St. Anger.

I'm on about catty brand loyalty sycophants whenever somebody's feathers get ruffled over my comment that I'd rather watch Io/Sasha than Best Friends challenge for the tag team titles. Conspiracy theory: since I always changed the channel whenever Triple H was droning on during his 25-minute weekly opening promos, I just thought they were all some variation of "I AM THE GAME....AH....I AM THE GAME....AH.....racist shit about Booker T.....I AM THE GAME.....AH.....C.M. Punk has the physique of a homeless former Subway sandwich artist.....I AM THE GAME....AH."  Only you knew weenie ass was one of his obscure go-to phrases so you must be him. 

16 hours ago, alstein said:

Trent can legit go and is fine.  I saw a ****+ Trent/Juice match, Trent and Juice to me are about the same overall, I'd only take Juice cause he's younger by a bit.   Chuck is just mediocre at best outside of his piledrivers.

There's a few folks in AEW I actively don't like - Chuck, Hager, and Jimmy Havoc were top of my list.

I don't care for Havoc either, and that was before all the smoke about him being a scumsicle human being.  A dude in a Mortal Kombat mask proficient with a staple gun.

Best Friends,  Jimmy Havoc and some of the lesser known performers in the women's division are the low lights of AEW so far.  Dark Order stunk until their vignettes started airing and then Brodie came onboard. 

Everything else AEW has done has ranged from good to awesome.  But right now I feel they are in some sort of stalled transitional period maybe.  I think that combined with NXT doing some interesting things has shifted the Wednesday balance so it makes sense to me that NXT is slightly taking over the total viewership.  

I've really liked both shows though and I think SD! and RAW have improved some over the past month or so too. I miss the live audiences but nothing can be done. 

Steve Blackman:

- one of the least divisive wrestlers, popularity-wise - all dig SB

- most universally popular across the board (workers and marks)

- decently pushed (but never a top guy) (minimal merch, tho')

- good run during a peak era

Wotta guy.

- RAF (big fan, too)

Edited by thee Reverend Axl Future
  • Like 2