DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

8 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

The Macho Man promo talk again reminds me that Savage maybe the greatest embodiment of pro-wrestling ever, with Eddie Guerrero as a close second. 

Add in Terry Funk and you basically have the holy trinity.

• Like 5

So Eddy Kingston was wearing Black and Yellow, and it just made me think - is he the American Genichiro Tenryu?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

I've always thought that Load/Reload would have been received a lot more warmly if they weren't done by Metallica. 

I agree but I also think theres just too much material. theres a solid one hour album between the 2 and half hours they released

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

Add in Terry Funk and you basically have the holy trinity.

It never occurred to me before but... did Savage and Funk never work together? They were both in the business forever and yet I can't think of when it would have happened.

17 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

It never occurred to me before but... did Savage and Funk never work together? They were both in the business forever and yet I can't think of when it would have happened.

Apparently they teamed together once at a house show in 85, defeating JYD and Tito Santana, and were also in a battle royal together later that year at another house show.

2 hours ago, Log said:

Oh, I believe that there is a plan. It’s just that once Vince realizes that, he changes it. 

IIRC, I remember reading there’s a plan for their first feud, but after that it’s on talent to get over (with fans/Vince), which is why so many people flounder after their first feud.

4 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I like Orange Cassidy quite a bit but  Best Friends I don't get..

They’re somewhere between Superbad and Step Brothers. Not for everyone, but those they reach are happy looking at them. 

The type of stuff where you’re defense of them is just saying their name with a different inflection. “It’s Chuck Taylor, c’mon.” “You know, Trrrrrrennnnnt.”

Edited by OctopusCinema

I know we discussed this some yesterday, but just how delusional is Cody? Here’s his comments from Twitter about WWE trying to retain their trademark on the name Cody Rhodes:

“It’s not as sultry/scandalous as reported. It’s just business. They’ve seen the same data we have, and they know they can make big money off the brand(even though it’s not in their house). Trying to license me is flattering, but it doesn’t stop this train from moving. No grudge.”

Now how in the hell does he think they’d make even a dime off of that name? It’s not like they can just magically produce action figures, or put him in the video game by keeping the trademark. Plus if he’s not using it on merchandise (and if he is he’s a fool) then they wouldn’t make anything from that either. Yes they’re being childish, but his comments are just so dumb. 

30 minutes ago, elizium said:

Apparently they teamed together once at a house show in 85, defeating JYD and Tito Santana, and were also in a battle royal together later that year at another house show.

Funk faced Angelo and Lanny but not Randy.

Dory Funk Jr worked on the same card as Savage for one of Savage's 3 SMW shows. Dory never faced Randy Savage either.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FluffSnackwell said:

I want to believe it was actually Peter Weller as Robocop at Capital Combat 1990. However Jim Cornette is a bullshitting sack of shit that has (amongst other whoppers and tall tales) attributed throwing John Matuszak through a bar window to both Harley Race and Dick Slater; so if he's the one and only source, chances are it was somebody else. 

When did Cornette claim it was Weller?

3 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

does the presence of Bobby Lashley mean that Bobby Fish couldn't become Robby Fish?

But considering the current situation... it's pretty much a no-win spot for anybody moving up this year

The Elite lucha promotion TV had every combination of Bobby, Boby, Booby, Lashley, and Lashey in his name in about a month of shows.

3 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

Suicide jokes and shitting on "indy darlings," there's some serious fuckin' EDGINESS in here...

The Macho Man promo talk again reminds me that Savage maybe the greatest embodiment of pro-wrestling ever, with Eddie Guerrero as a close second. 

Edginess would be saying that about the Black Album. I know Slayer bros that don't consider any Metallica albums after Kill 'Em All good. 

4 hours ago, Log said:

Oh, I believe that there is a plan. It’s just that once Vince realizes that, he changes it. 

That's the problem. Vince. I want to believe Triple H keeps telling everyone who gets called up and those in NXT "don't worry, Vince will either retire or kill over...just tough it out". 

10 hours ago, FluffSnackwell said:

I want to believe it was actually Peter Weller as Robocop at Capital Combat 1990. However Jim Cornette is a bullshitting sack of shit that has (amongst other whoppers and tall tales) attributed throwing John Matuszak through a bar window to both Harley Race and Dick Slater; so if he's the one and only source, chances are it was somebody else. 

On one of the Conrad Thompson podcasts (Bischoff or JR - I frorget which one) they said that they tried to get Weller but wound up getting a stuntman instead

15 hours ago, FluffSnackwell said:

I don't see why not to be.  The hugs are immaterial to them being shitty jobbers that just happen to be fond of hugs. If C.M. Punk was skinny fat, then that makes Chuck Taylor skinny morbidly obese and Trent Beretta is a homeless fentanyl addict's Juice Robinson. 

Trent can legit go and is fine.  I saw a ****+ Trent/Juice match, Trent and Juice to me are about the same overall, I'd only take Juice cause he's younger by a bit.   Chuck is just mediocre at best outside of his piledrivers.

There's a few folks in AEW I actively don't like - Chuck, Hager, and Jimmy Havoc were top of my list.

Edited by alstein

14 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Bobby Fish losing his first name because we already have Bobby Lashley.

Lashley and Fish get teamed up as “The Bobbies” and are given a London police gimmick, complete with helmets and terrible British accents. Fans chant along to their exciting catchphrase of “What’s all this then?”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

1 minute ago, Hamhock said:

Lashley and Fish get teamed up as “The Bobbies” and are given a London police gimmick, complete with helmets and terrible British accents. Fans chant along to their exciting catchphrase of “What’s all this then?”

Coming out to Zed Cars or The Bill theme?

3 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Coming out to Zed Cars or The Bill theme?

I admit that I needed to look both of those up and listen. “The Bill” sounds like a theme-music-era relative to “Hunter”; works for me.

Vince would have them come out to Dragnet, location anachronism be damned.

Speaking of Capitol Combat 1990, I recently rewatched the Midnights vs. Pillman/Zenk, and that match is still aces. Such a different style of match than you’re used to seeing from those guys.  It’s almost a heel-in-peril match, as the Midnights are out of sorts with Cornette locked in a cage and Pillman and Zenk just shine all over them for what feels like 10 solid minutes.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, FluffSnackwell said:

I don't even remember weenie ass being a Triple H thing.  Besides I always hated Triple H and C.M. Punk, but the former definitely did his damndest to ruin the Summer of Punk. I guess I'm not the cool guy that likes shitty indy darlings who take a break during the climax of a supposed PPV co-main event caliber match to huff each other's farts. Orange Cassidy has actually grown on me. But he had me from the moment I witnessed this. Toilet humor has its place as long as it's subtle and more importantly doesn't take place smack dab in the middle of the finish of a match. 

Granted I was never part of any crew that set up the ring for a show Chuck Taylor worked in Bucksnort, Tennessee. I'm sure it is a deeply enriching experience and gives one a sense of belonging.

I don’t really care about Indy darlings or whatever your on about just thought Weenie ass was some incredibly lame shit Triple H would say to try and be funny. 

Metallica has been garbage since St. Anger.